A.B. May

A.B. May Employee Reviews

It's fast paced

I love working here but thinks are constantly changing. Like rules, the way we do things and the set up of the office. Overall though the benefits of working here outweigh the cons.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Constant changes

6 January 2020
We work hard to improve the work environment for our coworkers which is why we value your feedback. Thank you for reviewing us! We're glad to have you on our team.

Avoid at all costs!!!

When I got hired the company seemed great.. They gave a work truck to take home, company phone, and key to the building all in the first week. You know the saying if it seems to good to be true it probably is! Well that’s exactly what it is. The first couple few months were great. Then when you get out of apprenticeship the true colors of the company show. They will tell you that you will be off between 430-5ish and realistically they mean “who cares what time you’re getting off you’re getting paid” (quote from supervisor) whenever you bring issues to the companies attention you will quickly be shut down with “should’ve been in the trade when I was a tech” or “I just simply don’t believe you” (again actual quotes from management.) going on 2 years and a single issue was never resolved. The pay is god awful for a “skilled trade” when asked about the pay scale management will respond with “well you have potential to make a lot more” the base pay is not enough to support a family let alone a single person with normal adult bills.. basically saying “you have potential to be able to live”. The company will raise prices on their services and give no reasoning or no raises to keep up with the inflation. Please do yourself a favor and just completely ignore any job postings from this company!!

Very good company to work for. If you have a career minded ethic its a great place to work.

No complaints working here. They welcome you and make sure you have all you need to perform your role. Its not for people who like to call out and not put the work in.

Pros

Good hours and room for advancement

Cons

Short breaks

You are treated like family, huge sense of community, and strives to be the best at offering exceptional home service.

The hardest part of the job is the job itself. Our customers calling have an issue that needs to be remedied as quickly and expertly as possible. We do not want them to wait and handle them with care. We continually work on being excellent, empathetic, and easy to use by our customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the culture. We are family members and lift each other up when there is a struggle and congratulate each other even on the smallest of successes. Being treated respectfully is the best at this company I have ever seen. Learning is an everyday activity and I love the fast pace. My opinion counts here and I have met coworkers that will be friends for life. Hard work pays off, and team work keeps us all aligned.

Pros

You are not a number but a family member

Cons

Some people cannot adapt to the fast changing environment

3 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience! Our industry is fast-paced which is why we're committed to cultivating a culture that encourages learning and uplifting each other. We're so happy to have you on our team!

Amazing company

Best company I have worked for. Great atmosphere, great leadership, great owners, very well ran and organized. Care about there employees and want to help them grow as well.

3 January 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We work hard to create a culture where everyone can thrive and that starts with caring for our coworkers.

energizing work and people

Won't be leaving. Home away from home. New opportunities available to coworkers constantly and coaching to help excel in current positions make this a company people don't want to leave.

Pros

Network of coworkers that feel like family

12 October 2020
We're so happy to hear you've enjoyed your time at A.B. May! We're committed to providing opportunities so our coworkers can continue to excel in their careers. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Family atmosphere and great people to work with

I work in a small but important department supporting the technology. I have learned so much and have had incredible career growth in my time here. The atmosphere is very family friendly and I love the people I work with. There have been many changes and challenges that this company has endured and we have stayed strong and committed to supporting all of our staff.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

healthcare not the best

9 September 2020
Our company wouldn't be what it is today without our coworkers. Because of you all, we have been able to overcome obstacles and remain strong. Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are lucky to have you.

Lacks business sense

Poor Management. The business lacks the environment for employees to thrive. Managers aren't aware of the needs of the employee. How is the company supplying world-class service when the employees are being treated like low-class dispensable associates?

28 May 2020
We're disheartened to hear this. Our goal is for our co-workers to thrive in their work environment. We're committed to this goal and improving how we can deliver on it. We appreciate your honest feedback and we wish you all the best.

Fill-in position-tough job

Working in a team environment to map out routes and dispatch skilled HVAC, Appliance, Plumbing and Electrical Technicians to customers in a timely, organized manner. Short-term contract position, but thoroughly enjoyed the teamwork and “can-do” environment.

9 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the environment and the people around you.

Work place heaven

I started with no experience in HVAC. They have an amazing trainer that is very detail-oriented and wanted us (the new hires) to succeed. Getting out in the field earlier helped me learn a lot quicker too. They also have a training lab inside the office. They also treat their employees very well. II have been very impressed with how they run this business.

Pros

Well paying, great opportunities, great employees, great customers

Cons

Pay/Hours is weather dependent

17 February 2020
We want to see you thrive and our job is to give you all the tools you need to succeed. Thank you for sharing your experience! We're happy to have you on our team.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at A.B. May?

Great work environment.

Company is concerned about the health and well being of their employees. Genuine concern for their employees. Management is open to employee ideas and suggestions.

25 November 2019
We wouldn't be able to do what we do without our coworkers. Thank you for your review!

Good hearted owners

Owners that no you bye name and care about you. Everything there is first class from your equipment you use all the way down to your work close that are on your back.

19 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We do our best to provide a quality work environment.

It's a good place to work.

I like the culture and the owners know everyone by name. They are always fair and treat their employees just as well as they treat their customers. I have enjoyed working here.

19 September 2019
We want our coworkers to thrive and that starts with our culture and the way we treat people. Thank you for your review!

Busy, phone work, scheduling appt's for plumbing, etc

Work office was nice to work in, management I felt was getting into very personal life of employee's. All about what we ate, being healthy had to go thru getting weighed and BMI. I was not happy with that, I have a doctor for that. But all in all it was an okay place to work.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

getting into my personal life too much.

6 January 2020
Our intention is never to overstep and we're sorry we came across that way. We appreciate your feedback and we're committed to improving our culture in every way we can. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

N/a

Excellent company . Great staff and decent pay. Easy to grasp the job. Supportive staff, good benefits. Family like environment. Opportunity to grow within the company

19 September 2019
Thank you for your review! Here at A.B. May, we strive to provide unparalleled opportunities for our coworkers. We’re happy to hear you felt the family-like environment. That’s a big part of our culture.

A steady paycheck

I enjoyed my coworkers and I enjoyed what I did . I did not enjoy certain upper management (CFO). I was denied and put off to further my education (which was company supported) denied a raise (took over a year of asking/proving it was earned) when raise was received it was pathetic; it took 2 more years to finally get paid what I was worth - thanks to a new a/r manager. Upper management was very biased. Office personnel are low paid and rarely recognized for their support/achievements and never rewarded with gift/bonus during company meetings; those are for the service techs, plumbers, installers, etc. Upper mgmt and Owners even regulated what Vendors could bring in for the employees, i.e. bagels, donuts, etc...not allowed! This is an HVAC company with male employees as the majority and they won't allow donuts in the building anymore!

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Micro-management

It was a great Job

It was a great job but it just wasn’t for me. The hours where unstable at time some weeks it was 10 hours a day the next week 10 hours that whole week

Pros

Take home car good pay

Cons

Management and hours

Friendly & fun atmosphere

There's a family feel to the environment, & the owners make a point to try to get to know the employees. Management is approachable & communicative during the daytime but not available in the evenings. Most departments do not work weekends or evenings, because of this I learned more about the building, departments, & stock. I needed access to supplies for the technicians in emergency situations that don't always fall into normal daytime business hours. It's a very health conscious environment complete with a gym and a mini market that provides organic, low sugar, & healthier choice snacks and drinks. The hardest part of the job is the stress. When the incoming need for service far outweighs the available technicians & the limited hours in a day, it can be hard trying to figure out who truly needs & will receive service & who will have to wait until the next day. The most enjoyable part of AB May is the people. When it's calm & time allows they are jovial, compassionate, friendly, & giving.

Pros

Freebies like occasional sports tickets & annual World of Fun trip

Cons

Can be stressful often & my position had a six day work week every other week.

Great

Loved it no complaints from me. I was relocated to California and had to quit.excelent place to work at,training support was all the Best I've found yet

Productive and great work environment

Everyone is really great with one another. It is an extremely helpful environment, no one is left behind. I love the owners and everyone is really like a family there.

12 hrs. 7 days a week

Over Works HVAC crew so no life out of work. Might as well be a 19yr old with no attachments at all and all u wanna do is work and sleep. No life. Period. And if you have one it will definitely conflict with it and no job is worth yor family. Period. Makes sure cater to their favorites as well. What company doesnt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.B. May. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement