A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd

A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd Employee Reviews for Supervisor

Supervisor21 reviews
United Kingdom21 reviews

Draining

Your expected to arrive a little early for your shift and every now and then end up staying later without realising. Always understaffed and a lot of pressure is placed on you to always do a perfect Job. 2 days off in a row are rare and always expect to work weekends.

Pros

The people can be really funny

Cons

No social life

Terrible management

Horrible manager, everything else was fine but the manager is soul destroying.Everything will be your fault and you are made to feel worthless and useless.

Insights into A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Not the best place

Overworked and underpaid, lazy staff so you end up doing 3 people’s work while supervisors sit out back with coffee and rags and don’t respond when you need help! Also having to run a post office ontop of the shop is stressful! Not to mention the rude and smelly customers and all the equipment breaking down!

Pros

Paid 30 min break

Cons

Long hours, huge workload

Always short staffed because budgets don't allow for thw amount of staff needed

I have worked for this company for a long time. Over the years it has gotten worse and worse. The company don't praise for the work you do, just criticism about the things that don't get done, but they don't allow the management to employ the amount of staff that is needed for the size of the store. It's a constant battle of having no staff and trying to get everything done. If you are management expect to work in excess of 60+ hours a week because you have to cover the hours that can't be covered by other staff members because they insist on keeping them all in 24 hrs or less

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Short staffed

There’s a lot worse companies to work for.

I worked ther for 10 years so it can’t be too bad. Like a lot of companies in ever changing times, they’ll squeeze every minute out of you. But a lot of time it is actually quite fun.

Worked here for appox. 3 years. Really great staff and managers. Shame i had to leave. The work environment isn't really fast placed and once you get to know your customers you can have a whale of a time.

Pros

Relaxed workplace, little stess.

Cons

Minimum wage, shift changes due to lack of staff.

Good job very fast paced

Great team Could do with better date code management process Relaxed Very clear cut and straight forward in most aspects Only issues during employment was some lazy team members pulling the team down

Good staff

Amazing company goood to work for, good staff Somedays can be stressful, but other days it a great place to work. Get too meet loads of new and old customers

Terrible company

Horrid place to work with no help to advance. Management is terrible where bullying is allowed to go on. Bad employees not dealt with as it’s less hassle and good employees are given terrible shifts and everything put on them. Terrible way to work out shifts some days you don’t know what your doing the next day and always the same people working weekends as manger gives themselves every weekend off maybe working one Saturday a month. When going to manager and above about bullying nothing is done as this person was a “favourite” and just told them what was said which made life very hard.

Pros

Made some good friends at work, got experience of working in retail but could achieve this at any other store

Cons

Low wage for what you do, management and higher don’t care about staff

Rude management

Face has to fit, manager uses swearing to motivate. Often told faking this faking that, only for strong hearted. Shops are pristine though very modern, advancement is again if face fits. Promised training nothing delivered

Pros

Discount and salary

Unfriendly

Not a nice place to work management very unfair and favours staff members. Long hours, tedious boring job don’t work here if you want a life at all.......

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Before the sell out to bestway we always had great productive and a good reputation with our customers.and we were a good group of staff.

I did love my current job,until they changed my hours .7.30 till 3 was good.but due to staff leaving they change my hours to 7.30 till 5, 4 days a week .even though I did tell them I was looking to reduce my hours as I am now 60 years old.I like to be busy all day serving customers,filling shelves.answering customers queries.phoning buyers to get stock in.and helping the reps of the cigarette companies.I did learn a lot about the job my different parts of it.most of the management where good.the most enjoyable of my job was helping the customers if they needed help like they where just opening a new shop.

Pros

We did have staff discount

Cons

Didnt like my new hours

Okay

Blakemore does have a few perks, however, some aren't suited to all members of staff. A typical day at work would be bright and early if you are on a morning shift. Latest to work is 11pm and earliest start is 6am for most stores. They are flexible with shifts etc but it depends on what sort of management there is.

Pros

flexible

Cons

working hours

Fun customer based work

Another job I did really enjoy. Great flexible hours weekend work and overtime. Meet new people and faces from all walks of life. Not for everyone if you can’t handle rude people.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Rude customers occasionally

ok

Its an ok place to work get on with the team very well. Management structure not too good Too many Cheifs and not enough Indians not enough support from people

Pros

close to home

Great for fitting around Education, Amazing family

I've worked at the Spar twice now, once when i was 15 and again over the last two years. i work as a supervisor. The work load ranges from a walk in the park to utter stress as with all jobs, it just depends on how busy you are. can be difficult at night with only 2 members of staff but otherwise a fun job. The customers make the job, and you get to meet some amazing people.

Pros

Staff Discount, flexible hours

Cons

you do not stop

terrible management

unorganized manipulating staff unfair work hours between staff bad hygiene errors in wages unwilling to give holiday no cover for certain shifts most of the managers just sit down and give orders

Pros

most staff were pleasant

Cons

bad management

Enjoyable, quite easy.

6am-8am, general cleaning of classrooms and corridors, responsible for keys. Fairly easy job. Short hours, nice staff and management.

good to work for.

Set up area. New systems of booking in products. Managers and work co-workers are friendly. Hardest part of the job is the early starts.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

3am starts

Mediocre at best

A typical day at work is to do almost everything. Scan deliveries in, in the morning. Cash up the previous days tills and bank the money. Order stock for the following day. Put out whichever delivery has arrived that day. Every Thursday put out promotional advertising. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the demands of the company management who will frequently email the store with other jobs to be done before you go home knowing the level of staff available make the tasks difficult to complete within the hours of your shift therefore expecting you to stay on (unpaid) until it is complete arguing that it is their prerogative to demand such. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers and the majority of the staff on a day to day basis.

Pros

Working with people

Cons

Company Management

Local friendly customers

Opening up of store, preparing tills and change for days shift. Assisting customers with daily papers and general requests. Always new stock on deliveries to arrange and put into planned areas of shop.. Being responsible for day to day running of store when management absent. Enjoying my work is very important to me and makes the day seem like I have achieved a good job done. Working with like minded colleagues is always a bonus. And good customer relations is better.

Pros

being busy.

Cons

not being busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd with

Learn about A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd in popular locations

• A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd
  • Supervisor
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?