AECOM

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor market salary; huge pressure and deadlines; opaque cliquey management hierarchy. A list clients and some good work opportunities. Flexible location is a definite pro.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Huge work volume, low salaries, admin heavy

Great place to work. Really enjoyed my time working here.

Great team on CAFA. Very supportive and approachable. Covid had just become a serious situation when I started here but the team worked hard to make me feel part of the team.

Pros

Flexible remote working

Stressful

No communication about work roles and expectations to high to do too many jobs at once. Irregular work commitments. Saving money by hiring less people.

Very established company

A typical day at work is filled with excitement to meet deadlines for other projects to be assigned to you.This company has all to learn at its university

Pros

Free fruits and beverages

Cons

Out of London location for my office.

Productive & fun work place

Productive & fun work place. Varied work load, relaxed atmosphere.Helpful team effort.Collaborative working with various disciplines.Focused on delivering quality driven projects.Great management.

Pros

great management

Cons

productive fun at times workspace but let down by management

Typical 9-5 work day but asked to work late several times. Tasks were sometimes fun but often repetitive and worst tasks were pushed onto select few staff repeatedly. Management was mixed bag and often set tasks without instruction with sink or swim mentality with little encouragement or support. Several people left citing the challenging work environment.Workplace culture was friendly most of time but often when tasks were not on track devolved into bitter blame game between different team members and management.The best part of job was definitely socials with team which were definitely good but there were cons to the job also.

Pros

free coffee and socials

Cons

sometimes long hours, often dull projects and poor management

Productive and supportive workplace

Best company I’ve ever worked for, very understanding and flexible whilst allowing you to progress pretty quickly. Good mentorship program to help people new to the industry progress.

Pros

Supportive team

Cons

None that I can think of

Stressful place to work

Not a nice experience working there at all. Nasty cliques behaving like teenagers, high performers not advanced or rewarded but instead those who are friends with management and terrible at their jobs rewarded instead.

Cons

Long hours expected and not compensated

Being made redundant at Christmas isn’t good - also pretty poorly at the time

Loved my job within Aecom, loved the people I worked with, major good rapport would love to come back ! Let me know please would happily work for them again

Pros

Weren’t any

Cons

Weren’t any

Indecisive Management

Very cold unfriendly environment. Everyone working in silo. Management are not empowered to make decisions. Senior management are extremely indecisive and have an unclear strategy. Very 'old school' and not willing to change from old practices that have been followed for years. Benefits are not competitive in the industry and hesitant to bring in younger aspiring talent into senior positions as you have to have the correct number of years experience. Will always be behind its competitors.

Pros

Work/life balance but no different than others in the industry

Cons

Resistant to change, average benefits not progressive

I didn’t really work here but I did have my work experience here at AECOM for 3 weeks where I was basically entitled as a adult and which made me gain a lot of work experience

Pros

Free lunches

Pleasant experience

Great sense of team spirit at AECOM. Plenty of optional subsidised activities after work to engage with colleagues. Flexi-time was great so it wasn't a problem if you arrived later than 9am as long as you did your hours.

No security

Awful bullying management, once over 45 you’re finished - or been there a couple of years. No loyalty on either side. Upside is good projects and some great colleagues at the top of their game prepare to work from home

Pros

Flexible

Cons

No security or loyalty to staff

Poor managment

Good work place with poor management. Problems within team management and budgeting. Low salaries. lack of communication between different layers of management .

Lots of work

There is very little time for job/life balance. Very exciting projects and employs great technical people. There is opportunity to move around but career progression is limited to those who can win business.

Confused strategy

The management seem to lurch from one great idea to the next, not achieving what they set out to do. The silo culture results in a lot of missed opportunities for a better client solution and better projects overall.

Chaos

imagine an unorganised business of 10 people. Now multiple that by 10,000 and you have AECOM Don’t believe the flexible working hype. In reality management say no and are not flexible

Pros

Salary

Cons

Selling your soul, boredom, zero power ogressuon, bullying!

Good working environment

Learned how to become a competent engineer, put me through my qualifications was a nice place to work. The management team however doesn't appreciate the work put in and is reflected in performance reviews

The company ethos is brilliant shame the managers dont implement it

If you can start young here and work your way up the posibilites seem very good and they obviously reward loyalty , if you come to this company at a mid point in your career there doesn't seem to be the same support. Very little to no training , very little to no feedback from middle management . Its a shame because the offerings of the company and the ethos they want to spread is very positive , it just doesn't seem to get implemented

Good company -

Good company to work for as long as your business unit is making a lot of money for the shareholders. No / low reward. No / low promotion Apraisal system is typical bell curve

too large and overly corporate working environment

The company is very large circa 100 000 personnel worldwide therefore a culture of being nothing more than a worker ant or number prevails. Salaries are not market competitive and annual increases usually fall below annual inflation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AECOM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement