Aberlour Childcare Trust

Aberlour Childcare Trust Reviews: Working at Aberlour Childcare Trust

United Kingdom19 reviews

Great of pay, work life balance could be better

Generally a good workplace, high paced and high volume of work. Good if you like to keep busy and enjoy being hands on. Found it very difficult to get staff disability accommodations met if at all though. Work life balance could be better as regularly contacted outside of work, and can be 7/8 days in a row for your rota hours. Rate of pay is good for care jobs and holiday entitlement is fair. training provided was excellent and there is counselling services as part of your service. The service I was in discourage staff talking about shifts/policies/conflicts which can lead to poor team moral but other services are more open to these discussions.

Rewarding and excellent support

Fantastic place to work, staff make a real difference to children and families they support. Very supportive to staff especially throughout the covid pandemic.

Pros

Excellent benefits and supportive management

Cons

Shift working

Insights into Aberlour Childcare Trust

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Caring organisation

A real values driven organisation with great people. I felt supported and trusted to make choices about my work. During the pandemic the organisation showed how much it cared, no-one was furloughed and no-one was penalised for having to take time off for self isolating or child care issues. Managers are compassionate and empowering, I would recommend working for this organisation.

Pros

Strong values, good terms and conditions, compassionate management

Cons

Working hours have to be right for those being supported so can reduce flexibility

Terrible management

If you are working for this company any where apart from Dumfrise and Galloway congratulations you have a good job for a nice company. If it’s in DnG however unlucky. The manager is awful. The rest of the team are amazing and job would be great otherwise but the manger ruins it. Talks to you like a child and treats you with contempt. The centre while I was there was open evening and weekends the rota for this was badly managed so the work life balance was poor. Contracts are rarely over a year long so little job security. The pay isn’t great with no chance of paid overtime with TOIL being used instead. Overall avoid this company in DnG else where go ahead and enjoy.

Pros

Supporting great people/families

Cons

Awful manager

Not bad

Worked here for a while, had great relationships with all of my coworkers but towards the end I felt very robotic, Not a very good life\work balance, the jobs I had was a stressful one but managers always had time to speak and help with tough decisions.

Good to begin with but begin to expect to much

Good place to work but you are expected to cover for others to often. You get a lot of responsibilities if you are able but over time they will begin to rely to much on you.

Lovely Place to work

Excellent company and fun place to work staff all friendly and welcoming would recommend anyone to work here and always enjoy a good night out fun times

Great experience

Worked with Aberlour as a family worker. An amazing experience the family is at the centre of care. Very fulfilling job and being part of building resilience with the children is so rewarding. Good training and support.

Ok Company, cliche environment

Good company to work for if I’m the right home. Management can be very one sided. Children are lovely but also challenging. Worked for this company for 2 years and loved it until moved to a certain home. Some staff think it’s their way or the high way.

Pros

Helping make a difference to the young people

Cons

Some staff. Long hours

Engaging and fun workplace.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a volunteer working for Aberlour Childcare Trust. As a peer mentor, I gained transferable skills that enabled me to become a successful and compassionate individual.

Pros

Helping children become active members of their community.

Cons

When I joined, the peer mentoring was a new programme so could have been improved.

great place to work

an amazing team, passionate staff who are all hard working individuals, a place where I can feel positive about the work and care that is being provided. management are helpful and promote good morals and values for the company and how myself as a staff member works and promotes high quality care.

Pros

being able to support vurnable children

Cons

long hours, stressful at times, emotional job

Good company

Working st aberlour there was additional courses really available and company were very child orientated. The job was hard but very rewarding. The management at time could act difficult and there was a lot of management chances and swaps of location

Pros

Good working hours and good additional courses

Cons

Management could be difficult

Fun workplace

Great place to work. Staff are very friendly and is a very rewarding job. The care they give to every person they come in contact with is excellent. Overall fun enjoyable place.

Pros

Rewarding

Good working environment

Good working day starts with wake up of children getting them ready for school. Can be challenging depending on what's going on with certain children/young people. Staff work well together individually and as a team. Managers support their staff well and the culture of the home is one of nurturing. The hardest part of the job is seeing the children/young people trying to have a sense of normality when they arrive as new service users, the trauma that they have endured has been very traumatic indeed usually the sense of loss and being taken from their parents care. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children/young people grow and develop while they are in your care.

Pros

seeing children grow and develop

Cons

Forward thinking and value driven organisation

Worked for ACCT for 9 years and found it to be a fantastically inspiring organisation. As with all third sector environments we had our ups and downs in relation to change....but Aberlour had the foresight to stay ahead of that change. Every member of staff does the job for the right reasons and are 100% committed to the organisational cause. If you have the right mindset there are plenty of opportunities to move around the organisations many fantastic services. This is a children's charity that although not very well known....punches way above its weight in terms of influence, culture and outcomes. Highly recommended!!!!

Pros

People, outcomes and values

Cons

There are none if you keep an open mind and stay future focussed!

A great way to volunteer

Mentoring independently and taking part in group activities.The hardest part is learning and helping individuals overcome or deal with their situations and also helping build confidence,self esteem,motivation and trust.

Pros

providing support

Cons

its voluntary

Fun workplace

Great place to work, best bit about it going out with children and having fun and encouraging them to do things they may never of had the chance of doing, can sometimes be hard going. All of the staff are easy to get on with and will try their best to help with anything your not sure on!

Great to work in and productive.

A typical day at work would be working shifts. During this shift you would be dealing with residents who may have chaotic behaviour due to illicit drug use. During my experience working there I learned to be non judgemental and helping mothers to overcome addiction. The staff were a great support as were the management. The hardest part of the job was seeing babies withdraw from illicit substances. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing families reunited and known you have made a difference for there future.

Aberlour Childcare Trust

Very rewarding work with children and young people who have experienced trauma and neglect. A tough job where you can be regularly exposed to extremely challenging behaviour. Ok access to internal training and good access to regular mandatory training. Salary is not bad in comparison to other social care charities and local authorities. Quite poor in terms of job security, progression and support through supervision/performance development. Good camaraderie between staff at ground level. Can work long shifts and feel pressured to work outwith your contracted hours. Lack of clarity and communication between some levels of management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aberlour Childcare Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Aberlour Childcare Trust with

Learn about Aberlour Childcare Trust in popular locations

• Aberlour Childcare Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?