Acorn Homes (Group) Ltd

Acorn Homes (Group) Ltd Reviews: Working at Acorn Homes (Group) Ltd

United Kingdom15 reviews

management couldnt have done more for me, however I just couldnt settle into the job

Would only advise working here if you can do full time. I was only able to do part time and I just couldnt settle in, and didnt feel part of the team. I wasnt able to build up a sustainable rapport with the children. The training was great, management were approachable and did all they could to help me. I do not have a bad word to say about the workplace, it just didnt work for me due to my home life.

Pros

kind, fun people. Great training

Cons

I feel like you need to be there for a shift 5 days a week, otherwise the children wont get a strong enough bond with you.

Challenging but very rewarding

Very professional company to work for , Excellent progression opportunities and highly skilled leaders overseeing the homes.Nice story about why and how the company was set up 💥

Pros

Career progression

Cons

At times long hours

Insights into Acorn Homes (Group) Ltd

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

A friendly, supportive and career progressive company.

Acorn Homes have been an integral part in developing my career. From starting as an apprentice admin assistant and being given the opportunity to work my way up, when I showed potential and drive to want to work within finance.Working within the Head Office team, I like to make sure that we present our team as both supportive and friendly towards all staff working within the Children's Homes and School. Acorn Homes ensures to instil the common goal within all staff, working towards the safeguarding and development of children within our care. Working for a company like Acorn Homes instils a great sense of pride and achievement knowing the difference and impact you are making to the children within our care. Also made possibly by the great collaborative working carried out by staff all across the company. Acorn Homes offers a variety of benefits to staff including a loyalty scheme whereby incentives are given for length of service. Also provided is access to employee Perkbox. I have worked for Acorn Homes for over six years now and continue to enjoy working for this company. I enjoy being met with new work tasks and challenges daily, of which helps me to constantly progress and enjoy everyday being different. Overall a great company to work for. I would recommend to anyone.

Pros

Loyalty scheme, Perkbox and opportunity to progress within the company.

Cons

None.

Supportive Company

Acorn Homes is a really supportive company to work for, I feel that they really value their staff.There is always room for progression and the senior management team will always support and guide in this.

Pros

Staff Loyalty Scheme including extra annual leave days and paid bonus's

Very supportive, Provide rewards and care about staff and young people

Acorn Homes are a company who offer support and guidance to all of their staff. Training and extra qualifications are offered to almost everyone, and there is so much room for progression. They pay well and the hours are fair. Acorn really care about the young people unlike other companies who think about the money.

Pros

Support, Qulaifications, pay

The Ligthouse School

Amazing staff But very much if your face fits! There are people who have worked they’re butts off for years and got qualified in something very relevant to their job but a new employee who has no qualifications not even GCSES is given a high paid job. Not very fair. Staff are doin the jobs of a high paid positions but being paid bare minimum! Its ok if your just a TA

Pros

Staff

Cons

Pay

The Lighthouse school

I have been a part of The Lighthouse School for nearly 8 years, although the job can be challenging at times, the rewards are huge. We support some amazing charismatic young people, and play a very big part in their lives. We follow the national curriculum with additional extra curricular subjects and activities. None of which would be possible without our fantastic dedicated staff team.

Pros

Excellent training and support from Acorn Homes, with support and guidance from the school SLT team.

Lone working,so need to just get on with it.

Although the job was stressful at times. I really enjoyed working for them. I feel it is one of the jobs i have learnt the most from. Really enjoyed working witht he young people,i feel i built really good bonds witht hem.

Pros

Longs days, which meant more days of

Cons

Cover lots of hours when short staff.

This is s good company to work for

This is s good company to work for, they look after their staff and they provide employee benefits. The company encourages staff to develop and will home grow staff where possible. To enable staff to develop professional there is a wealth of training and unlike many other companies they provide actual training rather than on-line virtual training. Staff can therefore join the company and grow and develop at their pace and take on new challenges and responsibilities.

Pros

The company appropriately focuses on staff welfare.

Cons

the work has obvious stresses at times

terrible

My DBS took slightly longer to come through than those i trained with, and by the time i started (8 weeks later) all the people i trained with had been promoted. my first day i was left entirely on my own, not having met any of the kids. I had to deal with police and social workers, not knowing anything about the kids.

Poitive Outcomes

Although working with vulnerable young people and the behaviours they display at times can be stressful and tiring, the feeling you get when you see these young people turn their lives around as a result of the work you do with them is amazing. A real sense of achievement and fulfilment. The support from staff is great and love that I can work with people I get on so well with. With the company expanding there are constant opportunities for progression but also if you are not looking to commit to a higher role there is no pressure.

Pros

Perk box and salary sacrifice options, career opportunities

Cons

Some long hours but always followed with sufficient time off

Great Place to Work

Acorn Homes is an amazing company to work for. They are very supportive and provide great opportunities. I hope that I work here for many more years as I love my job.

Pros

Staff perks; great team

Turned into a good career

I joined Acorn just over a year ago as a support worker. I did find the job challenging at times, and some hours can be long, but after a few months I found helping young people and working with staff who supported me and always seemed happy quite refreshing! Recently I have been promoted to team leader and I am on a path of development to Deputy. I never thought I would get to a path to management.

Pros

Training, support, opportunities

Cons

Can be stressful with young people at times

I have been working for Acorn Homes for 5 years, and enjoy working for such a diverse Company. I have always found that home and education staff go the extra mile to support our young people.

Pros

The Staff

Cons

The nature of the work means it can be challenging

good place to work

A good place to work many interesting problems to solve most of staff very friendly. Lots of travel due to many homes the have and job was well satisfying.

Pros

van supplied

Cons

not all staff nice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Acorn Homes (Group) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement