Action for Children

Action for Children Employee Reviews

Lovely job, great people i just didn't have regular hours. The job varied from day to day. Lots of paperwork and computer based work so need to be willing to do this.
Pros
Good management
Cons
No regular hours
I had a great bunch of colleagues which made my time here bearable but other than that there was no positives to this job! Constant burn out and terrible work life balance, the pay is horrific for what is expected of you and the management really do not care about staff. Everyone was at a constant burn out and you always felt fobbed off by management. I started looking for a new job before my probation was even finished. Rotas were never done and sometimes you got the following week rota a few days before which meant you couldn’t plan appointments or anything. Management honestly didn’t care about the staff or their well-being. Wouldn’t recommend my job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Work life balance
It was great to start with, really enjoyed my job but now its all about the money and not the children! Not paid enough for what we do and so under appreciated!! Would not recommend
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Treated rubbish, under appreciated, not paid enough
Love working for action for children. Very rewarding on a day to day basis, wonderful relationships and fantastic staff . Enjoy going to work every day.
Enjoyed working here , part of a large team.Supportive management.Working with a variety of different children and age groups .Enjoyed the shift work
Pros
Meals encluded
It’s a good place to work and staff are great but I feel they are not transparent about how challenging the job can be. There is no mention of this in any of their ads.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Very challenging young people
I worked in the private sector for many years. Am loving the charity environment. The pay isn't great, but the people are amazing and I get far more job satisfaction. Everyone works here for the difference they make to others lives not for financial gain. That is so refreshing.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
Worst place ever worked manager's are liars and u get no support left on ur own and hounded out if you don't agree with so called managers, scroll on and don't work here you will regret it big time
Cons
A good organisation that supports and looks after its staff. Well run and has the children at the centre of everything they do. Encouraged to.conduct personal development with plenty courses conducted in house
Pros
All one team
Cons
Pay could be a bit better
A well spent 17years of my life and still miss it now. Good structure and communication, feel valued and able to make a difference to children and young people and also more recently young adults.
More bothered about spending charity funds on all sort of irrelevant free goodies for staff rather than investing money for the children. Even donations given was taken by senior managers
Shocking place to work, full of power hungry bully’s avoid at all costs. Management is non existent staff turnover is horrendous staff and “supported” families often left upset due to absolute lack of regards for anything/ anyone except budgets targets and finances.
Cons
Unsure how this charity has so many 5 star review. Work culture is toxic. Work ethic from managers is poor. Staff are constantly harassed to do increased hours. Staff are completely burnt out and off constantly due to stress. Very little support mechanisms in place.
Pros
The kids were great
Cons
1). The pay is poor for childcare workers 2). Managements within the company lack skills to run the company effectively. 3). Overall management does not listen to staff concerns. 4). Always short of staffs 5). Meals provided for the children is inadequate and need to be improve. 6). More resources are needed in order to support individual's children learning
Pros
They provides outstanding training online.
Cons
Lack of computers to complete training at work.
Working for the company is often waiting for funding and chasing the next tender often letting good staff go. I was disappointed with the organisation.
Pros
Near where I live
Cons
If your face fits your ok
Satisfactory until they pulled out of Sheffield which was a terrible loss to the children living there. Stressful work load, very busy with social services team. Most difficult part was reading details of abused or neglected children. Most enjoyable was working with a friendly team .
I work from home which suits my work life balance, the IT available is first class. There is lots of support and training available. Pay and benefits are competitive within the sector.
Pros
Flexible working/team work
Cons
Budgets are tight and resources limited
Action for children has been a very supportive employer, I have had many training opportunities and development opportunities. Action for children pride themselves on succession planning and are really supportive to get you to the next level. The feedback with key stakeholders and families is fantastic and the children receive excellent care and support. The staff team is are highly trained and, enthusiastic and well motivated. Great place to work
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with AfC. The interview process was engaging and the induction was a bit better than average though I had previous experience. Hi The job was stressful and, for me at least, it was difficult to disengage at home but that's standard for the sector. The salary and benefits are competitive and fair. The training and development opportunities were exceptional. The organisation has a range of projects and their commitment to child welfare is inspiring, the learning and advancement opportunities are a big plus. I was able to meet and mingle with high level management events which is an excellent way to advance a career.
When I started this job I was very excited to work for Action For Children. My recent experiences have created huge negative feelings and thoughts on the organisation as a whole. You are 100% just a number in this big organisation and they will do nothing to look after you as an individual or your wellbeing. Higher up managers just care about the money. Very charitable of the “charity”.
I enjoyed being with the children everyday and building a relationship with them. What I enjoyed the most was helping the young children develop a sense of confidence within themselves and make a difference to their life.