Adur & Worthing Councils

Adur & Worthing Councils Reviews: Working at Adur & Worthing Councils

United Kingdom14 reviews

productive and fun workplace with some negatives

the actual work itself is great and the majority of the people there are amazing however, some of the management were over bearing and didn't really do much other than get stressed at the staff for no good reason. there was also a lot of talking behind peoples backs and general rudeness.

Government funding means too many temp roles

The people are lively and the work is rewarding but the funds are just not there for this council to work effectively. All you hear is budget cuts and redundancy and that just makes for a very scared and unhappy workforce - especially in the current climate !

Pros

Pension, salary, people all hood

Cons

Politics, low funding and lack of care for staff

Insights into Adur & Worthing Councils

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Not a great company for new starters

I was recruited for a role at this company with little to no guidance on completing a lot of my tasks. I was recruited at a time where I was mid way through one of my main work schedules, where the previous person doing my job moved to a different role with no access to guide me in producing my work. There were no user guides and set up processes to help new starters or anyone new to a particular work task.There was always a confusion within the balance of asking for help and working on things by yourself. If I asked for help in one of my tasks , I was always told to ask someone else or figure things out myself, and when I worked on things myself and was slightly behind schedule due to lack of resources and teaching, I was questioned as to why I never asked for help (even though I did).Management were constantly aware of the lack of structure in multiple departments but never attempted to make any changes or provide any guidance to help to help improve this. For example, I was told to start managing requests to set up users on the HMS Live system, without this being in my official job description, but I took this on. When asking my manager for guidance, he only told me to find a guide on the Google Drive. When I found the guide and noticed something didn’t match up with the user request I sent, I brought this up with the manager, and he told me the guide on the Google Drive was wrong and he should have just asked me for guidance instead, which I did already, which wasted a lot of time. This was one of one many examples I have with miscommunications and contradictions -

Great management and team

Very supportive managers and team members. Lots of training and you learn something new everyday which is great. And your hard work is definitely recognised by the higher ups.

If there was one word I'd use for the Councils, it would be friendly. Mostly everyone goes out of their way to help other people and those who work here are really invested in serving the people in the area of Adur and Worthing. I've had chances to progress and develop in the council and, if you're someone who gets out, meets people and looks for opportunities, chances are you could too.There is a lot of work and sometimes it feels like we're a little overstretched, but this is because of our ambition as an organisation and the impact we want to have on our area. There's not really a typical day at work for me - although there will be for many of the roles. I have projects I work on and self-direct myself to get them done, working with colleagues. The management give permission to get things done and provide support where needed.

Pros

flexi time, good holidays, home working opportunities, friendly co-workers

Cons

High workload

A good office environment

Even though I worked in an extremely busy part of the business, everybody was friendly and you could really enjoy your work and get satisfaction from it.

Pros

Quiet over the christmas period

culture of ignorance

the call centre, or should we call it Customer service team, was managed by an egotistical manager, who was only looking to progress himself. the team were for the most good at their jobs despite having no support from those managing them.

Pros

convenient to get to

Cons

poor management

its a good place too work. friendly staff and great mangment always very helpful

I've work for Worthing Adur council for almost 5 years now it's a great place to work. Great staff all very friendly. We're all team players always happy too help each other.

Pros

15mintes at 10am and half an hour at 1pm

Cons

45mintes

Poor work culture

Not good work culture, built like an empire,abusive management just condoning there silly position you have been warned people in prison get treated better if you want to be treated like a little boy

Pros

Get to go home

Cons

People in prison get treated better

Not a happy place to work

The council is currently looking to reduce staffing levels The IT dept is under a lot of pressure and is looking to put its infrastructure and services in the cloud

Under valued work force

the worker are under valued and over cast by the many levels of un needed management, the council struct needs to be over hauled and progressed into the matching the rest of the world as far as the workers appreciation culture.

Pros

flexi working

Cons

over managed

Great insight into Planning

The work introduced me to the challenges of planning policy, such as the need for consultations, and of the potential for SPDs. My GIS work was MapInfo based and formed an evidence based for an upcoming GI strategy

People are great, major restructuring

Re structuring through out the organisation and loosing very skilled members of staff and those left behind are expected to cover not only their job but their ex-colleagues creating a stressful working environment for all concerned.

Pros

Flexitime, car park, salary

Cons

Red tape, politically driven, hot desking

Very good employer

Very good employer and I enjoyed working there. Flexible working hours and Management who recognised hard working employee's. One thing I would only mentioned that I did not liked...racist comment by an employee who worked there for so long that no one would challenge his behaviour which resulted in an unfair outcome.

Pros

Flexibility, training and development

Cons

Sometimes bias outcomes due to connections

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adur & Worthing Councils. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement