Affinity Water

Affinity Water Employee Reviews

United Kingdom69 reviews

changeteamofficeculturecustomerstaffpeoplegood

Going downhill

I watch groups of new starters come and go. The last intake has about half of the people left. The salary at Folkestone is little over the minimum wage and shifts are currently 7 hours between 8am & 8pm (and 8am-2pm Saturday). The job is busy. Answering the same queries from pretty much all customers. Training is quite good but then you're put into your teams in the call centre and your manager just isn't there. They are always in meetings - I've no idea what all of these meetings are about as the job of customer services at a water company doesn't change much. If you can stick it out (three months probation) there are opportunities for overtime on the phones. If you have a good manager they may let you learn new things but if your manager isn't one of the best then your life at Affinity Water will suffer. It would be nice if they moved the team managers around as once you're in a team you're there for forever as is the manager.

Great colleagues, work-life balance not so great

Good place to work in terms of benefits and training, very knowledgeable staff. I recommend as a solid first job after Uni. However work-life balance is non-existent once you're fully trained. You're expected to work 12 days in a row to then just get a weekend off, management is very resistant to make any changes about this and staff feels tired most of the time.

Insights into Affinity Water

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Bullying culture

Terrible place to work ,favouritism,bully’s,racism. I saw it all ,people don’t stay because they make you feel unwanted,scruffy used uniforms,vans are full of rubbish ,and damaged no one cares ,how on earth they get UKAS accredited I will never know ,they are rude to customers ,they have no knowledge or care ,AVIOD this place ,

Pros

Cons

Loads to many to answer

people change constantly

The job is quite interesting and fun, especially if you like driving. However, salaries are too low for the amount of work required. The team is friendly but members constantly change due to low salaries.

Pros

Friendly team Job is not very hard (physically)

Cons

low salaries people constantly change stressful poor management working long, unsocial hours

Amazing co-workers, but a tough job and not for everyone.

Call centres are not for everyone and are notorious for being stressful places to work. While Affinity is no different, the staff and office management were amazing, really great people to work with, so this kind of mitigates that somewhat. While the job itself is fairly straightforward, some of the targets seem illogical and unobtainable. However, management will always offer support and do their best to tailor any assistance to suit your style. On the whole, customers are generally okay, but you do get abusive ones that can completely ruin your day. The pay is fair, and the hours are not the most unsociable I have ever worked (though working 1 in 3 Saturdays is a bit of a drain). Unfortunately, it does seem that the higher uppers (the senior management at HQ, as opposed to our office manager/team leaders) seem to be very out of touch with the work that went on at my level, and had little to no understanding of the stresses we faced day-to-day.Overall, Affinity is a good place to work if you can deal with high stress, sometimes complex calls and if you're not daunted by challenging targets. You'll find it's the people that are worth it, rather than the job itself. I would only recommend this job to those that thrive in high pressure, fast-paced environments - introverts should avoid call centres.

Pros

Good pay, amazing colleagues, empathetic managers, hours aren't terrible.

Cons

High stress, customers can be abusive, constant changes that aren't always communicated to everyone

Terrible

This company has a high staff turnaround due to the stressful environment. Your mental health is drained by working here with no appreciation from managers, you are treated like a robot, just a head on a phone and nothing else. Very stat driven, but they make stats unavailable and keep moving the goal posts. Managers are very cliquey and have favourites, if you’re not part of the faveourites then your experience here is not likely to be a very good one.

Pros

Decent salary

Cons

Everything else

Fun

Affinity water , the people.was great to work with but the management I feel didn't know how to look after or respect their employees, they didn't listen and just piled more work on to your work load that was not your job or position

Pros

Free samples

Didn't work out for me

I didn't like my time here. I didn't gel with my boss and although I did my work to the best of my ability, without any consultation I was moved to a different team which felt like I had done something wrong when I hadn't. Disruptive and not a nice way to be treated, my confidence really suffered working here. It's a quiet place if you work on the top floor of the Hatfield office. Nothing wrong with that, but for me felt a bit formal and cold. I work somewhere now which is much warmer in comparison. I'm glad I'm not there any more.That said, if you're a person who can bring people together then the company needs more people like you.

Pros

Some decent people

Cons

Car park too small

Poor place to work

Manager is a bully and uses people to make himself look good . Talks to staff like they are small children . Only wants staff under 30 so if you are older he will push you out . No people skills

Pros

Cons

Standby duties and poor management

Senior management unprofessional

Unprofessional management. Meeting targets prioritied over welfare. It's all about saving money for them. Zero training or development, training considered unessential by management. Treat staff like cogs in a machine. Piling on more and more work, really getting their monies worth out of people until they break. No recognition for people going over and above.

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Dreadful management

Busy but fun place to work

Great people to work with, can get very busy, very professional in dealing with customers on a daily basis. Issues get resolved very quickly, help is always on hand when needed.

Pros

Very close to where I live

Productive and Fun

Great place to work, lots to learn, chance to develop. Nice people. Fun, Productive, good team. Hard work, Busy role never bored challenging at times but achievable

Job security very important

Company was very employee focused and helped everyone to achieve the best they could be, it was taken over in March and the dynamics of the company completely changed

Pros

Fantastic working environment

Cons

Parking

Day

Learnt a lot workinb for affinity water I would highly recommend anybody who applied for a job with them the set up is how it should be with any company.

Administrative Assistant

Lovely work environment. Big spacious offices with air con. Opportunities for growth and promotion. Free tea and coffee machines. Casual Fridays. Approachable and kind managers.

Responsible company

Affinity Water is a closed family, but once you are in, it feels great. They want skilled and good people, which then leads to quality. It's a serious business because it deals with water! So it's pretty much a bit of a pride to work for them.

Pros

Company van, human attitude, competitive salary

Cons

Hard work on the streets and weather elements

Collaborative, fun

Owning and being accountable and responsible for the effective spend of the third-party budget for the IT Change Programme at Affinity which aligns IT strategy to the Business strategy (AMP06 & Open Water deregulation). Engaging with senior Executive stake holders within Affinity and suppliers to ensure appropriate alignment between business, IT and suppliers strategies, road maps, capabilities and supplier delivery; negotiating and agreeing the appropriate contracts.

Varied

I currently work in a department looking to trace missing properties, missing revenue, targets are set each year, working within a team of 6 with 2 external site investigators. telephone work is included and now many times during the day I also have to assist in the call centre I am on stand by 1 week in 5 where i am called if there is an incident at a customers property that has been affected by a burst and caused possible damag

Training fun working environment toxic

During the interview process and the the initial training programme everyone was very pleasant and very helpful,I was part of a large training course as they had so many vacances . Once you had completed your training and had been split into your individual teams that's when things went wrong. There is so much pressure on your line manager for their individual team to perform and be competitive from senior management , that it then does not become a healthy place ( Stressful ) to work, and senior management seem to turn a blind eye, hence a high turnover of employees.

Transitional period

Lot changing at the moment, maybe needed as it's historically been set in its way but feels like lots of change and not great direction. Plus the business is set in its way so expecting things to change quickly when it doesn't happen like that. Lot of spending cuts mean I'm not sure about how the company can sustain customer service and creates a lot of insecurity. Bit chaotic, kind of left up to you to work things out. People are great I would describe it as a community where everuone helps each other out

Firm run by clowns

Mickey mouse firm desperate for plumbers because they cant keep anyone on board. If you're suggesting going for their "price per meter" job think twice. Sounds good but it's a load of rubbish. They penny pinch at every opportunity. Run by clowns, if you dont do as they say immediately, you will be charged. Was laughed at in a grievance meeting. And then I was told that I could not open a grievance. Once I left, they found every possible situation to charge me for something. I'm not even sure that it's legal what they're doing but I hope they lose the contact ASAP they know they're running it into the ground uncontrollably

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Affinity Water. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement