Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,596 reviews

Found 1,596 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,610 reviews
charityvolunteershopageuktilllovelyelderlysteaming

Productive and great team work

I've volunteer here since 2014 and I still keep going in to this day x always been a brilliant place to work and staff and management are the best..........

lovely company

I was only helping out in the store through school but it was a lovely experience and the management were very supportive and treated as a equal not as a child.

Insights into Age UK

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Challenging

The pay is fair but depending on the role you can end up doing a lot more hours than you signed up for, their is no overtime pay only toil (owed time off) that depending on how staffed your department is, you may not be able to take it.Best part is working with the clients.They are always 'running out of funding' and replacing people causing a lot of insecurity and competition amongst departments.Very rewarding and some times fun working for a charity but hard to plan long term future.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Frustrating at times and no job security

Friendly

Friendly staff. Clients can be a bit difficult to manage sometimes but it’s a rewarding job. Voluntary opportunities available as well as paid work. Great environment

Job satisfaction

Would recommend to anyone. I am now in a job where I have a sense of purpose and the work that I do is appreciated.Management always available to assist with any problems

Pros

Job satisfaction, work the hours that you choose

Cons

N/a

Fun people to work with but hard work and bad pay

Fun people to work with and had good experience with management but the pay and work is pretty bad compared to other retail work. No good benefits either.

Love the social aspect of the job

Love working with lots of different people and overseeing that they enjoy themselves.Also I enjoy taking classes while I’m there and going to the gym as well as helping organise upcoming events.

Falsely advertised and very disorganised.

Got hired as a sales assistant on a 14 hour contract which had been specifically altered and offered to me on the agreement that I could not work Sundays. I agreed to do a few extra hours on my first week as I assumed it would be to allow me to be trained properly. Well that turned into me being scheduled around 30 hours every week for my first four weeks, as well as being scheduled for Sundays. I explained I couldn't work that much (I'm a temporary carer for a family member) and I definitely couldn't do Sundays but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, upper management said I had to do some Sundays and I couldn't reduce my hours at all really. On top of that I was given additional responsibilities that I didn't agree to, like being made a keyholder and being expected to work alone frequently. To me a job that expects those responsibilities and has me scheduled for 30+ hours a week needs to be paying more than minimum wage.I also never met my manager, and I did not receive any training during my short time there due to there being no computer for me to do it on, nor did I get my contract or any important information through until the end of my first week as whoever was in charge of it messed up somehow and tried to blame it on me. The company seems very disorganised and they expect more of you than they say for less pay than you deserve.

Pros

Relaxed dress code

Cons

Overworked and underpaid

Working in the Community has been a breath of fresh air

After a lifetime of working behind a desk and staring at a screen, community work with Age UK has been a breath of fresh air. Age UK is a great organisation which offers many vital services for elderly clients in their homes and at the Day Centre. The managers are really supportive and always there for you to answer questions or concerns. The team are happy, dedicated and reliable, which for the clients is so important. I have met so many lovely people who are really grateful for the work we do and the thanks you get for your hard work is very rewarding. Would definitely encourage anyone thinking of joining the organisation to do so.

Great and fulfilling!

My contract was short term but I enjoyed the work I did within the community. The client's needs varied from person to person but I enjoyed getting to know them and signpost them to the necessary advice and services to suit their needs.

Great company to work for

Really friendly welcoming team, the job isn’t difficult, everyday is different but it’s really rewarding, highly recommended company to work for. It’s like being part of a family, we all support each other.

They do important work

Age uk is a very good company to work for, although I was a volunteer telephone befriender. A very good and rewarding job during Covid and it's a shame that the government won't invest more in this sort of thing.

Enjoyed 8 years there

Couldn’t fault the company I was treated like a team member even though I only worked 10 hours per week. I was kept in the loop about company events etc. I was sorry when it ended.

Pros

Lovely friendly team

Not an inclusive employer

Employees are expected to work through breaks, work more than contracted hours and both without extra pay. No confidentiality protocols in place when speaking too or raising concerns to managers and the branch I worked at there was a long standing culture of bullying from long standing staff members and a high turnover of new staff

Age uk cumbria

Awful. Awful. Awful. No direction in the organisation. No support. They expect miracles from you and give you nothing in return. Avoid working for them. You'll be told you'll have everything and be left with nothing.

Rewarding and fits in well with family life

The recruitment team and staff at the induction day are very friendly and welcoming. They offer full PPE and advice at all times. I told them what days I could do and was given them then when my circumstances changed and I had to drop a day it was no hassle. Whenever I’ve needed to speak to someone while on a job I’m answered immediately and when I convey concerns about clients the families are told and I get feedback straightaway. It really is a nice little job to do while the kids are at school.

Overview of my experience

I worked at Age UK for over 12 years, at times it was stressful but I enjoyed my job and it gave me job satisfaction. I made a difference and the management became friends it was like a larger family unit.

Pros

No weekend work and extended bank holidays

Cons

Stressful at times but worth it.

fun. only worked for 2 days helping out

only worked for a few days helping out with Christmas deliveries. very fun. enjoyed the people and the experience. would do it again. i cant say much on permanent work there.

Stressful

Very stressful salary not too good and mileage allowance very poor. Not allowed to take quickest routes if it amounted to a couple more miles between visits and hassled if late to customer.

Pros

Some nice customers

Cons

Far too much stress

Unachievable Targets - Unsupportive Management.

Overworked and undervalued. Minimum pay / Maximum work load which explains the rapid staff turnover and complete lack of volunteers.Expect to be treated like a work horse and described as such by senior management. You will work everyday on your own without lunch or toilet breaks. I never got paid for my overtime. No staff to cover holiday/lieu/toil days, yet under no circumstances was the shop allowed to be closed.Stock processing, gift aid & weekly targets are unachievable. Senior management are unsupportive, they conveniently turn their phones off - no weekend working for them!It’s a lonely, stressful, physically and mentally exhausting job, and when you realise that none of your hard work helps to raise money for the actual charity - you realise there’s more to life!

Great work place

Would recommend to anyone to become a volunteer, very rewarding. Age UK offer flexibility to work around my other commitments too. Every day is different. The clients are really great too.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Hard graft

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Age UK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement