Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

Found 1,507 reviews matching the search
I had a great 6 years as shop manager for Age uk.Very good team sprite both internally and with external shop managers ...Senior management alowed managers to run thier own shops, although, there are various charity promotions and policies that all store have to adear to, on the whole if you do your job there is no micro managing from Senior Management...
Pros
Great fun
The worst place to work in Cumbria. The CEO is very sputfull and most of the workforce are horrible individuals who are just interested in trying to impress the CEO.
Pros
Cons
Jokeof a place
When I worked for Age UK, I loved it, It was fun and all clients were loveable. My fun there went down hill when I got accused of looking at personal information. A colleague left her private information in the staff for all to see, so I picked it up ( NEVER) looked at it and passed to someone from management. I told the colleague that she left her personal information on the table for everyone to see, i had mention that i gave to management, but never look but her husband complained about me to staff and accused me off looking. Management believed someone who had been there two weeks rather then me who had been there 3 months.. I lost my job
Pros
4 hour lunch
Cons
who works there
Great place to work. The job is relaxed and fun as well as responsible and the people around me both staff and service users are a pleasure to work with.
They were a great company to work for at first. After five years the company weren’t bothered about hiring fitness instructors or advertising classes. Money went elsewhere.Most classes were taken on by the instructors that ran them or closed.The payments where late. Closing the activity office was a bad decision. We had to go into the main office. Age uk loss they’ve got no idea how much we did for them.Their lost. I wouldn’t recommend working for them. It’s not about taking care of the elderly it’s all about them making money.
Pros
Working with some lovely people
Cons
Age Uk doesn’t care about it’s staff
A very enjoyable and rewarding role as a deputy manager thanks to remarkable colleagues and a relaxed and interesting working environment. Each day brought different challenges and rewards.
Pros
The feeling of making a difference
Cons
Occasionally an overwhelming workload
Promised a position when i moved south, this never happened and had to move to another company.Company itself i working encironment was good, empowering company.
Pros
Was a good company
Cons
Broken promises
Maybe I was fortunate to have an amazing team . With a excellent line manager and divisional manager. It was a pleasure to go to work . A satisfied job knowing you are also helping to raise money for the elderly.
Pros
Health care, company pension
Cons
Customer abuse.
Worst Charity I've ever worked for. Shop lovely to work in with volunteers when alone however environment as a whole was your bottom fish and nothing you do is right. I've 15+ years of sales experience and spent most my time being told I was useless or doing things wrong or not in their pattern (which unless u read minds u have no clue about) Head office poorly run. Never paid correctly, extremely argumentive. Also don't mention medical issues or have child care issues they'll hold it against you. they advertise flexible but what they want is Saturday Sunday workers only on a assistant wage but yet your job is to run the shop Alone (managers job) even if u agree to work weekends they'll take them off you and accuse you of not keeping to your contract. Always looking to sack in my view. Very high staff and volunteers turnover.
Pros
Meet lovely customers and volunteers
Cons
Not paid not flexible very high staff turnover!
No support when doing secondments, further education etc. You are pretty much left to your own devices with clients. In 2 years never had a one to one. If new to care avoid. Just very hap hazard management structure. This may have changed since leaving.Positive work life balance was good and very caring if you are struggling in your personal life.
Pros
Supportive with personal issues
Cons
No structure or support for education
Very positive atmosphere to work in, helpful colleagues. The charity treats it's employees well. You feel like you are making a change for the good!
Pros
Cares about people
A friendly and supportive organisation which I thoroughly enjoyed working for. Excellent supervision and training available. Good communication from the team about new clients etc. They were accommodating if you cannot work full-time hours. A supportive and caring organisation which makes an incredible difference to the lives of older people in Exeter.
Pros
Good salary and supporting manager.
Cons
Hours can sometimes vary at short notice.
Loved working for age uk would day this is the best job I have ever had just a shame the pay wasn't great as this was the only reason I left the company otherwise I would of stayed there as my line manager was brilliant my vols and staff where amazing i really did enjoy myself there
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Over worked under paid
Very demanding company , want you to have 50 hours a day and ten hands . A company not a charity , took away all the information that is supposed to help the elderly in their shops . Constantly told this is a business, high targets . Some managers are just total bullies , cover up for each other all the time including high management. Far too many chiefs with big egos and very few Indians , even the volunteers have to be up to their expectations. Disgraceful charity who have one of the worst reputations in the Uk . Just check their reviews
Pros
No pros anymore
Cons
Cut throat business not a charity
Age UK are a "charity" but still want to make a profit .They do not give their staff any training and do not even give their staff background checks DBS despite staff working constantly with vulnerable people. They are out of their depth and poorly run from the top.
Pros
Cons
Poorly run from the top
I've been working as a Reach Out Volunteer ( visiting elderly clients in their home ) for approximately 2/3 years, As a Volunteer Befriender building up a great relationship with supporting Clients, it's a hugely rewarding experience/opportunity, & rewarding knowing that your time spent seeing your Clients is appreciated, The Staff at AgeUk appreciate & support you at any time needed, My Mentor has given me 100% support throughout my volunteering and your time visiting clients is verbally expressed positive. Definitely would recommend supporting this Charity, there are many different roles available which are flexible and the staff can accommodate to your requirements.
Pros
Travel Expenses Rembursments
Not enough support from the manager, expected to take on roles that clearly were the managers job.Not enough breaks 2 x 15 min in 8 hour shift.Not enough experienced staff to show you the job role.
Pros
The older people
Cons
Not enough money for the job/ hours.
Held back in progressing, used to do the same repetitive job, their were no enjoyable parts to the job, constant hard work, just felt used, unapreciated, was made to stand all day, repetative steaming of clothes, altho I made them aware of back/shoulder & leg problems, would not allow progress onto other tasks even tho they new I was very caperble, would never go back there again !
Pros
free lunch allowance.
Cons
long hours.
Enjoyed working with some of the staff in the office, learned about certain procedures and company requirements. Wish I would of been paid for my work, instead of me working unpaid.
Pros
Lots of coffee and tea breaks.
Cons
Unpaid work.
I worked for 3 months at Age UK. Only drawback to job is you don't see many other people. It's lone working. I think if you live on your own yourself, you need more social interaction at work. I wouldn't hesitate to work for them again if my circumstances change. I met some lovely clients. Another drawback though is you can get a glimpse of your own future when you might need support too!
Pros
Travel paid
Cons
Wear and tear on car
No support from upper management. Expected to work all day without a lunch break and quite often no staff. Many times worked 6 days a week, paid for 5 and earned a lieu day that couldn't be taken as only other paid staff member was idle.
Pros
nothing
Cons
No lunch break, often no staff.
  1. Employee reviews