Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board

Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board Employee Reviews

Wonderful colleagues, hopeless management and culture

Had to leave. But wish I could have stayed. Some wonderful work being done for British agriculture, however senior management unaware of all work being done.

7 October 2021

Supportive and inclusive

I started with AHDB a month ago and have been amazed at the level of support I have already received. Inductions were timely and efficient and briefings comprehensive. There seems a good team spirit and a strong work ethos.

Pros

Work Ethos, Supportive team, Strong Management

Cons

Not found any as yet!

21 July 2021
Thank you for your comments. We are really pleased to hear this feedback and we're delighted to see you are finding your experience positive!

Onboarding Experience

Joined 4 weeks ago and I'm glad to have made the move.Management and Team are friendly and supportive.Joining a new company whilst working from home is a new and challenging experience and there is a lot to learn, but with Agile working and Daily Scrum meetings this has helped getting to know the Team and being kept informed.The recruitment process was well structured and conducted in a friendly manner. Initially there was a call with HR followed by two online interviews which consisted of technical and competency based questions related to the role.

Pros

Opportunities to work with the latest technologies, contribute to the Farming Industry, great work-life balance, ability to work from home.

Cons

Early days, but none I can think of.

29 June 2021
Thankyou for your feedback. This is really helpful for any job seekers that may be looking to join us in the future. We're delighted to see you are finding your experience positive!

Great Place to work

AHDB has a really lovely atmosphere, where all members of staff genuinely care about their role and team. Overall, really enjoyable induction process, making transitioning onto a new team easier. Management are approachable and caring. AHDB have been fantastic, allowing me to begin my role part-time to accommodate for my full-time, post-graduate degree.

22 June 2021

Friendly Atmosphere

* Good communication between all members of staff. ** Management are willing to evaluate new ideas and prepared to incorporate them in to the business. *** Very COVID aware and secure.

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

None that I can think of

19 March 2021

Fast Paced, fun, ever changing

You'll be working along side many sectors all with a varied policy. As policies change your work may differ from day to day, this keeps things exciting and you learn a lot about Agriculture and Horticulture industry in the UK. Progression is a slow but you do get to work alongside get to work alongside some great people, and learn some new skills. There's a range of courses you can enrol in and HR / Management are supportive if you ask for additional training. As an organisation they do some incredible work and provide really useful information to agriculture and horticulture industry

Pros

Helping the agriculture and horticulture industry

16 March 2021

Great company

I started at AHDB during the Covid-19 pandemic, my team made me feel very welcome and made sure to check in with me on a regular basis, making it easy to settle into the position.The team culture is brilliant and there are lots of opportunities to learn and develop your skill set.

Pros

Great atmosphere, efficient and thoughtful policies around Covid ensuring all staff feel comfortable, good work life balance

Cons

Can't think of any

12 March 2021
Thanks for leaving us a review about your experience working at AHDB. It's great to read your comments and your feedback is greatly appreciated. We're delighted to see you are finding your experience positive!

Great team members, colleagues and management

I Joined AHDB at the start of lockdown, and just like any first day, meeting loads of new people was going to be difficult, and with the added restrictions of lockdown, it would mean meeting everyone would be much harder than usual, however my team and manager were extremely welcoming and warm from the very beginning, and it allowed me to quickly settle in, get to know the ropes and feel included from day one. The team adopts an agile approach and uses an array of resources and tools to keep BAU and Projects running smoothly, without the typical pressures. Daily stand ups also help all team members stay informed of progress, raise any questions and highlight any blockers in their work - certainly not a new concept, but well executed and engaged by everyone. My manager has also been fantastic the whole time I've worked for AHDB, taking mental well-being into consideration during unprecedented times, and encouraging attending the office (but without pressure) to meet team members and also take a break from being home based at all times.AHDB is truly a fantastic place to work with lots of opportunities to develop and collaborate with other teams and would encourage Anyone who is interested in making a difference in the farming industry to work at AHDB.

Pros

PerkBox, good pension, sociable working hours

Cons

None that I can think of.

26 February 2021
Thanks for your feedback. This is really helpful for any job seekers that may be looking to join AHDB in the future. We're delighted to see you are finding your experience positive!

My experience

At the time of starting my role, I had started during the first lockdown meaning I was unable to meet most of my team. However, we've had weekly get togethers via Zoom to make sure everyone still gets to see each other and catch up. The recruitment process was second to none, I was kept informed at each stage and was given a laptop/equipment just a few days into lockdown. For the first few weeks I'd met with my manager in a local park to ensure I was settling in well and could ask any questions I had.Overall, it's a friendly place to work, lots of opportunities to collaborate with various teams, a fast-paced environment with various project work. I will definitely gain a lot of experience from working here.During the pandemic, the HR team have offered employees support via drop-in sessions, the employee assist programme and much more.I would recommend working at AHDB.

Pros

Close-knit team, opportunity to collaborate with other teams, varied work, free parking, modern office, competitive salary

Cons

Silo working, roles/responsibilities unclear within teams

23 February 2021

Team culture and caring organisation

I would recommend working at AHDB.There is an excellent team culture and people really care about each other. The offices are very modern and a good work space with plenty of free parking onsite. The HR department has worked tirelessly with other departments during the pandemic to offer support and guidance to colleagues, and offered flexible working which has been much appreciated.

Pros

Team spirit, good working environment, great colleagues.

Cons

Managment decision making can take a while - change is not fast

2 February 2021

Evaluation of Experience

The first twelve months were different to any other year that has come and is yet to come in my working life. A fire at HQ and the COVID-19 pandemic ensured a full year of working from home and having to bed in from a distance, which has proven challenging. I also switched teams halfway through the year. I've not actually spent any time face-to-face with some of my immediate team in an office environment yet! The workplace culture could be improved. There is intense competition between teams and a lack of empathy for the others position on occasion. Relations could definitely get better. What I enjoy most is the varied work that is on offer and the fact that AHDB rewards its employees from a financial perspective for the work they do. Can have no complaints there,

Pros

Competitive Wage, Close-Knit immediate team, Varied Work, Fast-Paced at points, Challenging Work at points

Cons

Competition between teams, Access to management, Lack of faith in immediate team from other teams

28 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all feedback provided and take it very seriously. If you would like to make direct contact with us so we can understand your experience with us in more detail then please do contact us. Thank you.

2 February 2021

28 January 2021

I started with the company as a temp (should have been there for 2 weeks), and 4 years later I am still with the business on a permanent contract Every day is different and it is clear that everyone is passionate about their role and the work the company does. There is room for progression within the business, and there are lots of different opportunities to learn about different areas of the business. The offices are open plan and really modern. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

A complex business to get your head around at first

22 January 2021
Thank you for your positive feedback. It is great to hear that you are enjoying working for AHDB.

Mismanaged

No clear direction, seperate silos and sectors. Direction changes on a whim and there's not enough process. New ideas are hard to introduce and people are set in their ways

Friendly environment

Relaxed workplace environment. Modern office space. Vast majority of people I have met at AHDB are very friendly and helpful. Management that I have had involvement with are approachable and easy to talk to.

Very interesting

Lots of processing of invoices and dealing with queries. Dealing with telephone enquiries. Preparing payment runs. Departments stick to their own areas do not mix.

Stict monthly deadlines required

Management structure not effective in monitoring teams and employees individual performances. There is a culture of high staff turnover rates with Limited opportunities for internal promotions.

Pros

Good perks including lunch break

Cons

Poor team cohesion

Interesting jobs, poor management

The work areas are really interesting and you get to deal directly with producers, and help them make improvements to their systems. Unfortunately, the Board are made up of individuals who quite often pursue their own agenda, or set hares running at a whim and undermined work areas and priorities. The work life balance is good, but as a public body, pay raises are rare (never), there is an inconsistency between the sectors, and staff turn over is high. Quite often they over recruit, and these outstanding individuals move on quickly to a better paid less political employer.

Cons

public servant with non / few of the perks

great work experience in the meat industry

Great industry to be involved in, helping farmers how to succeed in today changing world. My day to day job was assisting managers in individual meat sectors with organising meetings with farmers,conferences held at House of Lords, preparing packs for MPs and guests. Communication with people at all levels was essential, meeting were organised for people across Europe.

Pros

great hours

Cons

relocation of the business

Great place if management were replaced!

This company would be a great place to work, but like most companies, there are terrible people managers in place and top management turn a blind eye to bad behaviour and favouritism. Good benefits as classed as public sector, but not worth the frustration of being overruled on every decision unless it puts more money or credit in the pockets of the top rung of management.

Pros

Good benefits and flexibility

Cons

Terrible management, ineffective HR, no autonomy to make decisions

Productive and friendly place to work

Friendly , interesting , people are great and the location is fantastic. Very supportive, look after their staff really well Room for progression

Very enjoyable

Good organisation, good ethics and skill set within, very encouraging to all employees. offers training and development within organistation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement