AJ Bell

AJ Bell Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews

staffplacepeoplecompanygoodworkbusinessmanagement

Easy but boring

Worked here for around 2 months, lots of training at first regarding the company but actual job role was boring and lacked progression, unfriendly team members made the job role horrible, probably would have stayed longer if the culture was better.

Pros

Modern offices, on-site gym, no weekend work.

Cons

Boring, repetitive work, unfriendly co-workers.

Brilliant place to work.

I have been working at the company a while now, staff engagement is off the highest quality. The business has a family feel to it and you feel like a person and not just a number. If you have the right attitude and want to progress, there is plenty of opportunity here.

Pros

Opportunity to progress, friendly, great office space

Insights into AJ Bell

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

I started at AJ Bell just over 2 years ago and have found it to be an excellent place to work. Training has been terrific, both formal and on the job. People at AJ Bell really know what they are doing which makes it so much easier to learn. I came from a different area of financial services and was worried that it may be difficult to pick things up but the company made sure it wasn't. The culture within the business is better than anywhere else I have worked. The business are very supportive, with management being amazing in really taking an interest in you and your progression and not just targets. Additionally, the culture of ensuring positive consumer outcomes is above previous companies I have worked for as the business are really passionate about this which is refreshing to see, you can actually be proud about the place you work. The business' recent response to COVID 19 has proved to me what a great company they are to be a part of - they have ensured flexibility and support for staff and ensured that no one is furloughed; they have made sure customers are not impacted by keeping all areas running and keeping the same SLA's rather than allowing standards to drop; as well as donating money and goods to charities and institutions needing them most with AJ Bell's war against covid 19. I would definitely recommend a career at AJ Bell.

Fast-Paced Friendly Environment

Really enjoy working at AJ Bell - The pace of the working environment is fast so you need to be switched on. Good management and development structure allows for growth and progression. If you put in the work in you will be rewarded. Friendly and social team makes work more enjoyable.

Great place to work + good opportunities

I have been working at AJ Bell for more than 5 years - still love the place and the people after all this time. The business has got bigger, which is a good thing, but its still feels the same in terms of the people and how friendly everyone is. I have been able to progress in my career here, you do have to work hard but there are good training and study options to help you develop. Certain times of the year are really busy such as tax year end. I like that you can buy additional holidays and there are some really good social events held, including the Christmas Party. The location of the offices is good for public transport.

Horrible. Care more about the bottom line than the staff or customers

The good news is that if you work hard and are half way competent you can take on a lot of responsibility, learn a lot and progress. The bad news is you’ll be dealing with a never ending slog of unmanageable workload, gross understaffing ,unattainable targets, and constantly mopping up the mistakes and errors of the inexperienced, poorly trained youngsters they insist on recruiting (because they are cheaper no doubt) The company is making record profits but will not put back a single penny they don’t have to to make employees’ lives easier. The IT infrastructure is an absolute joke, it’s not an exaggeration to say that system breakdowns and issues are a daily occurrence. There are nowhere near enough staff members to cope with the business the company takes on, but when this is raised, we are told that there isn’t the budget for more staff, despite the company constantly bragging about the profit it makes. There is no scope given to train the staff we do have properly, as the entire focus is on targets and MI stats (and the management bonuses linked to them), rather than on actually delivering a decent service to the customers. Management refuse to listen to experienced staff who deal with the issues day in day out, leading to ideas that sound good in theory but don’t work in reality being persisted with even when they cause more problems than they solve and chronic problems never being addressed.

Place where you can grow in the goals you want to achieve and as a person.

Fast paced environment depending on what department you are working in. Have to be able to work under pressure and adapt to change quickly. Growth within the company available as the company has grown.

Great people and good career opportunities

I've been working here for a few years and have progressed. The work is enjoyable overall, you get good training and support for exams. I like the people I work with and I've made friends for life here. Tax year end is busy but it all gets done. I'm now in a position where I look after a small team of people as well and I hope to be able to go on to a more senior role in the future. No place of work is absolutely perfect but there is a lot on offer here to help balance the bad days out with the good days. Pay day drinks, gym, parties, volunteering activities are available to everyone. My manager is good and I can approach them whenever I need to.

Company that will be on the decline soon

Overrun with apprentices and kids with no experience. Terrible management that promote people with no experience and then get the experienced people to bail them out.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Terrible Management, No care for their customers, only care about making money

A company that only cares about it's appearance, not it's staff

A company that hires new staff with lower wages than it's current ones and therefore leaves you feeling very undervalued. Progression is only on the cards if you are hand-picked, and likely having marital relations with your current manager. Poor business decisions are made and the staff at the bottom are left to pick up the pieces when it inevitably doesn't work. Extremely high turnover and most new starters are very young with no financial background, which means that often the most experienced person on a team doesn't know what they're doing.

mediocre

Good place to start if looking to get into the finance or pension administration career. I would not recommend a long career here for most however for the few it will provide good progression opportunities. Salary is very poor for the industry and better paid positions are available elsewhere for the same knowledge required which leads to high turnover of staff within the company. Generally good people to work with and a fairly relaxed work environment. The company is well managed at the top and is constantly growing so does provide good job security.

Pros

decent facilities eg free gym, modern open plan office, close to tram, excellent job security

Cons

poor salary, limited advancement, bad management, non flexible working, too long working hours (this is more the whole of the UK though), work is tedious and very boring

Did not enjoy my time here

I was excited to join AJ Bell however I found myself doing very mundane tasks and surrounded by people who did not enjoy their jobs and did not act very professional. I was hoping to progress my career with this company but it felt like a step down.

Work Experience

I did my work experience here with the hardware and software team and enjoyed it quite a lot, all the staff were kind and relaxed plus I learned new skills and techniques I can use.

Pros

Amazing colleges

Cons

Fun, good place for young people, good experience.

It's a nice place to work, good work life balance, friendly people, good place to gain experience but not the kind of place where you'll be making lots of money.

Pros

Pay day drinks

Cons

Pay

Easy work

The work isn’t necessarily hard, however, you are not given breaks and the managers treat you like rubbish, also the job isn’t on a regular basis, only having opportunity to work on match days.

Pros

Free food

Cons

No fixed breaks

great working space

The building you work in is incredible and EQ 4 has amazing facilities on site (for example table tennis and the gym)! The work colleagues are great and extremely easy to get along with.

Pros

free gym

AJ Bell

If you require a place where you need to rear end someone in order to be successful by all means go for it. The management is poor, the requirement is terrible, and they reward staff who are obviously under performing by making others take on their tasks.

Pros

Absolutely nothing, apart from it has a MET Stop.

Cons

Looking at the pros you can work it out by yourself.

Lovely Company

Was only there for a short term temporary role, but thoroughly enjoyed it, Very welcomed with much support from he management with allowing time to apply for permanent roles and attend interviews

Hidden Gem in Manchester

Excellent promotion opportunities Great offices, free bar, roof terrace and gym Rapidly growing and reputable business AJB is a very busy and rapidly growing. Its a friendly place to work, with lots of employees having worked here in excess of 10 years. Staff are approachable and open to helping. There is weekly onboarding training in order to get up to speed with what the organisation do quickly. The onsite gym is great with classes before work, during lunch and after work with a variety of classes on offer ran by experienced personal trainers. There is a free bar at the end of every month on the 7th floor roof terrace and a number of paid social and sporting events throughout the year including the triathlon.

Pros

Free Gym, promotion, inclusive, free bar, paid social activities, volunteering

Cons

Low pension, not most comprehensive benefits package.

A great experience and learned a lot about financial and pension industry. A brilliant atmosphere and environment to meet new people and engage in out of work activities.

Kind and Fun place to work

I was part of a fun and caring team, under a manager who shared these attributes, so it made work far more enjoyable. I left with many friends who I will keep in touch with and a better grasp of business life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AJ Bell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement