Alcedo Care

Alcedo Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom106 reviews

lovelyclientcaretravelsupportofficerecommendstaff

Up & down

I have worked for ALCEDO a few years now and it’s been very up and down Pay is OK mileage could be better clients are the highlight to working at this company and getting to know the families is why I went into care in the first place you really feel a sense of accomplishment when caring for someone and it really is the best feeling after a long day when you really have made someone’s day that little bit brighter ! Office staff try their best to be flexible with your needs when putting rotas together cannot fault the coordinator she is fab!however all management has its flaws - can be unorganised and rotas can be messy at times but it’s usually down to staff calling in sick on the last minute! Overall GOODif you want partime work However if you want full time be prepared to do long double days and only get paid for 3/4

Pros

Lovely customers

Cons

Mileage

Please avoid

Pay is great, culture is toxic. No clear structure at the company. Senior management don’t listen when concerns raised. Everything is all smiles but concrete & drastic action is needed to address lack of HR & compliance department. Clear reason why family run companies do not work.

Pros

High pay

Cons

Long unsupported hours

Insights into Alcedo Care

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

Pretty poor place

You go to an interview and get offered the position, you do training after training (unpaid and not the best) then after all that time you have spent invested they then tell you that things will be sent off to the head office and will let you know if you have the position, bit of a red flag moment and makes you question the recruitment process as it seems very misleading.Mileage is poor considering the way you are travelling.Pay rate looks generous but when weighed up in regards to the amount of mileage you do to get to a visit then no it’s not worth it on the whole.Then there is your time in between visits where you don’t get paid, so you have 6 visits all set one after the other, impossible I know due to travelling so you spend those 3 hours on visits and get paid for them but the other hour and half travelling you don’t get paid and the mileage doesn’t come into effect until you have reached your first visit, in my opinion it’s not worth it!!So if visits are close to one another expect to receive very little mileage back. The training is not very sufficient especially if you don’t have a background in care which is very poor!They are constantly trying to cover shifts so there’s no point telling them when hired when you can and can’t work because you will just get bombarded with phone calls anyway.Oh and if you leave don’t expect to get paid what they owe you either.The people who have set this company up need to take a good look in to things and question why they have a high turn over of staff.

Southport branch amazing, Liverpool branch a nigo

Loved the clients and my job, management amazing, just not enough travel time in Liverpool branch, Southport branch amazing and flexible, miss working there

Love my Job

the company is great to work for. They listen to my needs and support me. Sometimes my rota changes at short notice which can be frustrating but I don't mind I enjoy the visits I end

Pros

good wage

Cons

Traffic can be bad sometimes.

No job security

Management are poor they take sides of the people they like and do not treat everyone fairly. They make you feel guilty if you don't cover a shift and when you don't do it you lose credibility. Staff members gang up on individuals and force staff out. It starts really good don't get me wrong but then you start seeing flaws and how poorly ran the company is

Pros

Nothing really, helping the children

Avoid at all costs

Very poor mileageZero accountability Toxic managementDisorganised More interested in making moneyTreat carers terriblyPros are few and lightyears between. Training was basic and generic. There are a few good staff in the offices (different sites) but they’re sadly let down by the toxic management. Definitely would not recommend. This company is not delivering the owners’ objective.

Pros

A few good staff, salary is standard, helping vulnerable people, seeing clients

Cons

Very poor mileage, Zero accountability, let down staff at the last minute, expect carers to travel huge distances between clients while giving no travel time, Toxic management, Disorganised, More interested in making money, Treat carers terribly, promises in interview do not come into fruition, be expected to do everything outside of your remit.

Fun place to work have its ups and down like every other work place

Worked since 2020 to present and its fun can get stressful at times but once u love what you do it just becomes second nature and I had the opportunity to meet some lovely people over the years .

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Not enough travel time to clients at times

Poor

Poor communication, poor management, poor training/support system for both office staff and carers. Preferred to make money than give genuine care. Very poor company

Pros

Not working there

Cons

Being there

I have found my work family

Having been with Alcedo for a month now I can honestly say I feel at home. Every day been a new challenge in a fast paced and rewarding culture.Great clients, lovely staff and supportive management and really thorough training what is not to love. I have been out of the workplace for a few years and was worried I was rusty but with the support Alcedo has given me I'm up and running feeling like I have been doing my job for ages Can't wait for the new year and growing my branch to its full potential!!

Pros

Great pay and supportive management

Cons

Can't find any yet

Support worker

Not worth the hassle of leaving a current job to work here . You are advised at interview you choose the area you want to work in, i chose the area they were advertising for as its closer to home and i know this area well. Instead, i was put several miles away. Great until you find yourself sitting in your car , unpaid between calls in all weathers . Sometimes up to 2 hours at a time . It seems it was all or nothing here , you either had unpaid breaks and worked a few hours even though you were out at work for longer or you worked shifts without a break. Some carers i worked with were working from 7am till 10pm no breaks . They say they offer a contract after a probation period, yes they do , 20 hours. Not really helpful if you are the only wage earner at home . In saying that , to be fair, you will probably not slip to 20 hours since they are constantly short staffed . Put work on your rota without asking and forever asking for overtime but its often an hour here and an hour there and in different areas . Who wants to go out for 1 hours work . Petrol allowance is 25p per mile , often doesnt cover what you use . I wouldnt recommend working here .

Pros

Cant see any

Cons

Never enough staff but continue to take on clients

20 December 2022
Thank you for leaving your feedback, we’re sorry you have felt like you didn’t enjoy your time with us.We offer 20 hours contract after probation however we will endeavour to offer more than this if you would like more hours – as well as our domiciliary care roles we often have the opportunity to progress with our Complex Care team where we are able to offer 12 hour block shifts. We do offer extra bank hours when work is available however you are under no obligation to take this work on. We try not to have gaps in runs however sometimes this can be unavoidable due to circumstances out of our control such as if some of our clients are in hospital so do not require calls, or other reasons why a call may be unavailable for a time. We wish you all the luck with your future job searches.

Great place of work

Love my job. Hard at times but always rewarding. Very helpful and always have extra goals to achieve. Management are supportive and approachable and can always help fix issues that arise which is rarely.

28 November 2022
Thank you so much for your feedback - we're glad that you feel supported in your work.

Great clients, rewarding role, extremely poor management

I joined Alcedo under the influence I could do 8-5 hours on a rota suitable to me, this is NOT the case and was only informed (after I had left my previous job) that the hours are 6-2, 2-10 or all day.The training briefly goes over DPA, CPR, Health and Safety and Food hygene. There is half a day course on how to use hoists. Specific training for PEG and Stoma may only be provided to you 30mins before you enter the clients household.The management clearly have their favourite staff, giving those more hours and preferable shifts. The management will HASSEL you on your day off, your pay is routinely wrong and your rota will be sent to you 12hrs before your shift is to begin.You have shifts that are full of calls throughout the day with your lunch break (not paid), or you will have spatterings of calls throughout a 16hr day totally less than 8hrs worth of work. With this in mind, the appalling app they have you use, does not account for travel time between clients. You feel guilty that time a client has paid for is being used for travel. Your forced to limit your social interaction for the benefit of the company. I've seen great and wonderful clients leave the company because the administration miss-management side of the business was failing them, not because the quality of the service provided by the carers, but by the misshandling of their account.The management have poor empathy for staff, after being slammed by COVID and off for 3months (with repeated begging to come back into work) and suffering with CFS and long COVID symptoms, the management refused the formal -

Pros

Rewarding to help members of the community

Cons

Long hours, broken up shifts with hours between calls, not enough time to travel to clients

16 November 2022
Hi, we're not sure that this review refers to us as there are several comments we don't believe are about us - we don't believe we've had any of our staff off for 3 months, and we have not refused any formal requests to change availability. In terms of call timings, we don't have any care calls starting at 6 - calls start at 7am and we don't have a record of anyone wanting to work 8-5.We haven't had any clients leave our Southport branch due to mismanagement of medications.If you do wish to discuss things further with us or raise any concerns please reach out to us at info@alcedocare.co.uk or our relevant Area Manager.

Productive fast pace

I have worked for Alcedo care for 16 month . I enjoy my job yes it can be stressful. But it’s fast pace . I like how challenging it can be. Yes working in care isn’t easy but I know I’m making a difference to people who need help and that makes it worth it . The pay is really good and much higher than most care companies. I work with some really fabulous people who give 110% to clients. You will always get people who moan and people who are lazy then care it not for them. But when your holding someone hand who is end of life you now why you do your job.

Don’t apply if you want to keep your life

Very competitive. Always made to feel bad if you can’t cover a shift. Rotas are always done last minute. You never have the same two weeks with Money&shifts.

16 November 2022
We’re sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. We offer all of our staff the opportunity to take contracted hours following probation which aims to ensure all are able to work the shifts that suit them. We also offer complex care roles that offer set 12 hour shifts for those that prefer that style of working.

Downhill fast

When I started working for Alcedo in southport it was great. The office staff changed mid way through my time here. I was severely ill on shift one day and told to carry on as there’s no cover when office staff could have come out to help. I complained about this and still to this day had no reply off the manager. Office staff ‘talk’ to one another about the carers cavilling them and deprecating field staff and multiple times been caught saying these things- with little to nothing being done about this despite management being aware. It’s turned to a very very toxic work place and I left after a couple of months, the shortest I have EVER stayed at a job. Every carer I met was so lovely to work with- the carers are the only good thing about this company- they are majorly let down by the new office staff- if I could name names I would, there is one particular who I’m sure if you take on a job here you will know sooner rather than later who is so unprofessional and creates such a toxic atmosphere, never knew work anxiety til working here. Accept the job at your own risk x

fun place to work

Been whit Alcedo a month now and the home i requested to work for is brilliant.I ad an outstanding interview and training,Meet management from the first day all very nice and understanding.Happy in welcoming you in the company.

Pros

Everyone very helpfull managers brilliant and ready to help

25 October 2022
We're so glad you're enjoying your role and had a great interview and training experience. Keep up the excellent work you are doing!

Relaxed but fast pace

I have been with alcedo for around 6 months now and I love my role and the company itself. The company really looks after their staff very well like paying £12ph plus incentives and also milage for the carers.There is loads of room for progression which I have seen whilst working here. I c

Pros

The rare of pay for carers and being paid milage

Cons

Font have any

28 October 2022
Thank you so much for your feedback :) we're glad you're enjoying your time with us so far!

Excellent family feel

I have worked with ALCEDO for a year and half. I started employment as a homecare worker in July 2021 and was offered a promotion to deputy manager that same year. Just over a year in I am now awaiting my registration to promote to Registered manager. The company are family oriented and friendly and have supported me through the process of my promotions. I have worked in the care industry for 20 plus years and joining the ALCEDO team was one of the best decisions I have made. I plan to continue to share my knowledge and passion for care with the team and look forward to a long and happy career here.

Pros

Excellent rates of pay

17 October 2022
Thank you for your comment! We're so glad you're part of the Alcedo family!

Comfortable environment, always trying to be the best we can be, fab pay for care, definitely recommend

Lovely place to work for. Family vibes and even in the busiest moments we all work together calmly and push through. Fab for progression. Everyone is listened to. I have felt very comfortable since working here.

Pros

Management position - structure

Cons

No cons

17 October 2022
Thank you for your review - we love that you're having a good experience with us! Keep up the good work!

Best place I have worked

Joining Alcedo was the best decision I’ve ever made. I love the family feel of the team and it’s great knowing that there are so many progression opportunities. Everyone is friendly and supportive.

17 October 2022
We're so glad you're enjoying the environment at Alcedo! Keep up the incredible work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcedo Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement