ALDI

ALDI Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,176 reviews

Found 2,176 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,286 reviews

Graft

Don’t mind working hard but the company every single year are cutting more and more hours expecting more to be done. I’ve had good and bad times here, some years would have been 1 star some would have been 5 hence the 3 stars.

Pros

Sense of commardrie with your team, like family

Cons

Work life balance is poor, sometimes can be in work 8 days straight

Long and Tiring hours

What makes this job bearable is the people you work with. But aside from that, you arrive at 4:45am and don't know what time you will finish until you get there. Some days it could be a 7 hour shift, others a 12 hour. Constant work pressure, not allowed to talk to others or risk being pulled aside by managers. The job itself is relatively easy, but draining and repetitive.

Insights into ALDI

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Good place to work if you enjoy hard work

It’s not for everyone, once you’re settled in and know your craft well it is the easiest job in the world, the people make it easy to work there! No day is the same, hard work however your shift goes quick because of it

Great team

When i started years ago you had to load yourself in the warehouse with up to 4 stores on a trailer, them days are over. Pre loaded trailers now. 2 runs per shift, great bunch of drivers.

Pros

Pay/overtime

Cons

Weekend due to rolling rota.

Fast pace and unappreciative

Overall the job isn’t terrible. The management side just treats you like a number. Some days expected to work 8 whole hours with one 15 minute break which i don’t think is acceptable or humane really. Lets not forget that you are CONSTANTLY on your feet and doing very physical things. But the people who work there couldn’t be more nicer, very welcoming and friendly. But all the managers care about is the pick rate and not you. And the rota is rubbish. You will get for example 4 days in work and 1 day off and so on.

Pros

Very friendly colleagues

Fix rota

Only major issue working on nights in aldi is the rota, It's suited for a dayshift rota (everything is implicated to make dayshift run smoothly) but no one looks at nights and the rota, You work 4 days have 1 night off then back in for 4 days again the 1 night off u work 5 hours of that in the morning so it actually feels like you're working 9 in a row.

Pros

Good pay, Some management are fine and fair.

Cons

Rota, Rota and ROTA

Store Assistant

hard working and stressful, the pay initially seems good but have you doing the jobs of two people at once. Prepare to have no social-life, expected to do overtime, you will be scheduled on an awkward shift pattern one day working till closing an the next on an early morning.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long hours, unfair management, physically demanding

Productive but not a fun place

There are some people that help and support however there are a lot of people that are waiting for you to fail. Tell you what to do but are not prepared to train.

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Extremely hard work long hours

Great management team

I've worked in 3 places during my time in ALDI. The management was great in two places and in the other one was just average, but overall you get the feeling that you are supported.Way too fast paced and so many things to do that you barely finish your daily tasks...always on the limit.

Pros

Great team spirit, good management, paid breaks and no need for a GYM membership as you do your exercise in ALDI

Cons

Only two 15 minutes break in a 10 hours shift which it's ridiculous, too fast paced and extremely high expectations for what you get paid.

Good company

Various start times as its 24hrs Training was good 3 weeks at first then more if you wanted it all the other drivers are only to willing to help as wellThe manager’s on nights are amazing can’t help you enough can’t say for days as i’m on nights you load your own trailer on nights days are loaded for them its better to load your own i think as you know how its been loaded less chance of stuff going over you then drive to store unload it then drive back again you do up to 2 runs with between 1 to 2 stores on each run average 9/10 hour shifts it’s 5 on 3 off you also get paid for your breaks

Be quick

Very fast paced job.Lovely colleagues.Some nice management.Shifts are varied.There is a lot to do and it needs to be done quickly.There are opportunities to develop however training is very slack.

Not the worst but not the best

Not the worst place ever but the company as a whole need to be more streamline as can take months to do anything, also management is so stressed out it filters done to staff felt like very unreal expectations on times for both managers and staff.You will also find normally in stores are very hight school groups and if your not in the right one you will find your hours lower than other and work life balance worse. I dont now whether this was just my store but seemed the way in most stores I worked in in my time frame in aldi

So I've been in the freezers picking for about 8 months now. I've only ever had manual labour jobs so was fine with picking etc. Upto now it's been a great place to work and my manager is brilliant. It's not for the lazy though so if your not a grafter, wrong place to work

Awful work-life balance, miserable if you're not best friends with management.

I worked at Aldi for a few years hoping for some job progression that I kept being promised. I was transferred stores to chase a promotion that I never received as if you're not best friends with management you get nothing. They ask you to give up all your free-time - I frequently worked over my double my contracted hours (20) but was continually refused a higher contract. We'd be put on "breach" shifts and be expected to work them. Management let you get abused by customers, especially over the pandemic. Wages aren't that high anymore when comparing benefits of other businesses - definitely not enough to put up with the stress and cliques.

Pros

30 minutes paid lunch - extra pay on bank holidays.

Cons

No progression, stressful, hostile work environment.

Fast paced unsociable hours

Shift patterns aren’t the best for childcare Expect a lot from you Moral can be low depending on who yourWorking with. Good pay but you have to work for it Good holiday

Pros

Pay paid break

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours quick staff turn over

Steer Clear!

Not allowed to talk. Under valued, no progression. ''Shelf life" to career as told by higher management. No further progression to be made unless face fits. Accidents are high and if you're the one involved you will be punished when you've been hit by another picker. Pick rates are reasonable at 300, but only achievable when the shift is set up correctly or waiting on no products on back picks. Management will talk about you behind your back and when questioned, will deny any allegations/grievances. Deputy management will not work with pickers to achieve a finishing time as it's "not there job''. Nearly 4 years with the company and what a waste of time it was, as the general public think Aldi is a great company to work for when it's clearly not especially across the board.

Terrible place to work

Aldi works you to the literal bone, from their very short breaks to their terrible work life balance. This company does not care for their staff.stay away from Aldi if you want a job where you feel appreciated.

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, terrible work life balance

Don't bother!

Total rubbish didn't know what was happening at anytime, hours to long and shifts not planned properly you can't have a proper family life as you constantly have to be in.

Sometimes stressfull, working most weekend as it's bussier.

Fast paced,depending how busy - could be stressfull. Very limited work - life balance. Sometimes need to come extra days. Lucky if you get a good team.

The best

The best place I have ever worked. The deputies are amazing at their jobs. The pick rates are easy. The vending machines are first class. Except the snickers/mars bar

Pros

Banging smoke shelter

Cons

They mix mars bars and snickers in vendy

An OK place to work, descent pay but poor managers and basic holidays only

Worked as a deputy manager for 5 years. You can earn good money however the shifts can be long and you don't have a finish time. Most management really don't care about anyone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare ALDI with

• ALDI
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?