Allen & Overy

Allen & Overy Employee Reviews

Insights into Allen & Overy

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose

Professional and a global atmosphere

Friendly department with a number of local, fluent foreign-speaking colleagues. A&O has an overall good set of systems in place. Like busy bees in a hive, lots of activity. A privilege to have had this opportunity.

Pros

Great department (team)

Cons

I do wish there would be a little flexibility to the working hours i.e. 30-min difference.

Great find

I worked for the in-house hospitality catering service within the company. Great work/life balance, easy and relaxed days, free meals provided and free company gym access. Pay was great and the summer and winter parties are always great fun.

Pros

Free meals, 8 hour shifts, free gym, weekends off

Cons

Quiet periods, repetitive, gossipy

Poor treatment and favouritism is rife

Management are a joke. They support a hostile environment, no transparency and the more popular you are the further you will go career-wise. If you don’t have a manager in the department (LSC) that will back you up/root for you, you’ll be bullied out because the rest will refuse to give you work and rely on their favourites. Will push you out rather than help support you to do the job to the best of your ability.

Pros

Cons

Poor treatment, management, no HR presence, favouritism

Top tier firm

You will gain great experience and knowledge here. Free gym, 25 days holiday, pension, private medical and life insurance. Salaries are below competitive firms. Long hours, stressful and not much work life balance. People are friendly and helpful. There is a massive divide between fee earners and support staff. Old school views. Diversity is an issue with gender and pay.

It was challenging but learnt lots of new skills within the team. Enjoyed being part of a large leading law firm. Learnt how to work to deadlines and ensure the team worked together efficiently. Assisted all areas of the company with technical issues and training so gained excellent customer service skills.

Great working environment

Highly recommended and a great place to work! Great team and environment.

Nice place to work

Plenty of variety in projects given. there is a lot of out of hours work needed to deliver projects but this is understandable due to the nature of the business

Pros

friendly people, nice office

Cons

alot of OOH work

Nice on the outside

Unfortunately I can't recommend A&O. Started well but quickly resulted in a heavy overtime job, I managed multiple projects which I accomplished 100% with no room for progression. I still view A&O as a Stepford Wives firm, everyone smiles and are polite but there is an undertone that didn't sit well with me.

Loved working at A&O and it had great benefits too. It was a very fast paced and high pressure environment but I learned a lot there. The team was very friendly and there was good development opportunities.

Pros

paid sick pay and other childcare benefits

great people, interesting work

Busy and demanding environment whilst remaining fun and friendly. Lovely office locations and constructive, professional approach to people management.

A nice firm with lots of benefits

A typical day at work would be quite busy and would keep you occupied. I learnt a lot about working for an international firm and what that entails. The benefits here are second to none.

Pros

Free gym, restaurant and bar on site

Cons

A great place to work with a very supportive culture

A&O is a fantastic organisation with extensive benefits available to support wellbeing and support around training and development. As a high performing culture it can be pressurised and busy but the firm works hard to ensure employees are fairly rewarded.

Pros

Benefits and training

Cons

Broader opportunities across business support groups.

Productive work place

-Managing a team of 40 housekeepers, to ensure 11 floors building is clean to the highest standards on a nightly basis. -I learned how to manage large teams of people. -Work ethics are high, managers work hard and require the same form the operatives -The hardest job is to manage staff levels, recruitment process is slow and time consuming. It is hard to find balance work/life when working nights. -Most enjoyable part is getting positive feed back from management and clients.

Fantastic workplace

The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with Clients globally Negotiating and renegotiating tasks and monitoring and agreeing changes to deadlines.

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

no cons

A nice place to work if you are not looking to progress

Allen and Overy is a nice place to work - they treat their employees with respect, the salary and reward is good and the workforce are very diverse but enjoyable to work with. The only con is that there is not much opportunity for progression.

A great place to work where colleagues value both ability and personality

There was great scope for job development in this law firm, perhaps surprisingly for a law firm. A PA for one Partner and several associates, the Partner entrusted to me tasks such as improving her office environment, making contact with old contacts and clients after a period of absence, and tackling the decade-old backlog of unfiled emails and the boxes left unopened after an office move. I tried to create an efficient but warm and friendly working environment and endeavoured to spread this throughout the team I worked for. I enjoyed understanding something of the cases my Partner worked on and, therefore, being in a stronger position to coordinate work and deadlines with other associates, paralegals and PAs working on those cases. At my instigation, some legal 'training' was given to our team of PAs to enable us to work more autonomously and to be of more use. It was a firm that valued and nurtured artistic talents too which helped bring the different departments together and added a richness to our jobs and working relationships. It taught me that we need to be well-rounded in order to perform to our maximum. It was an all-round wonderful experience.

Pros

The canteen

Cons

Journey time

Enjoyable place to work

I worked at Allen & Overy for a short period on a temporary contract but I enjoyed the experience. I was impressed with the level of training and management.

Great place of work

It was a very friendly but demanding place to work with a sincere sign of developing ones career. The management structure is great and you can see yourself working your way to the top.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Many chains of command

Happy to work here

A good place to work and people are good to work with. Lots of oppourtunities, New skills are learned and a happy culture enviroment. Managers are grounded people

Brillant Company

Very brilliant company, open and honest allow you to grow and develop. Working with very high standard caliber of people and colleagues. Nothing negative to say all positive.

Pros

everything

Awful management - consultancy driven

Would never want to do a project here again. Disjointed, dont listen to stakeholders and were carrying out a major program without consulting regional offices

Pros

Gym

Cons

Managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allen & Overy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.8Job security/advancement

Compare Allen & Overy with

Allen & Overy Reviews by Location

• Allen & Overy
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?