Allied Bakeries

Allied Bakeries Employee Reviews

Poor leadership at all levels, excessive workloads on a daily basis and dis-organised approach to tackling problems in all departments. When i first joined the company it wasn't like this but when gutless, inadequate managers and people with no drive are employed to run 'the show' it is inevitable that job security will become an issue. This company through mis-management have sacrificed a good market position. Many of those in managerial roles are just seeing their time out until retirement. They have no drive or ambition. If you're looking for job security then go and work for the rivals.
Pros
Good H & S culture
Cons
un-equal treatment of staff, no teamwork and inept management
hygiene are treated very poorly like something on the end of your shoe get less breaks than any one else they expect you to do more than your job role
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours always overlooked for other jobs due to coming from hygiene
I worked at Allied for fifteen years. I greatly enjoyed my time, and only left because of the branch relocation. I was given incredible freedom within my role, and was given a chance to assist at national level.
Pros
Excellent employer
Cons
Nothing springs to mind
18 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to post your review; we work really hard to be a great place to work, so it is always nice to hear such positive feedback. Kind Regards, Charlotte, HR Business Partner.
Poor leadership at the top, self serving micro managers in the middle have seriously affected employee morale and caused this once successful business with a bright future to freefall into insignificance. All reflected in the amount of valued customers lost, reputation damage and shocking number of highly talented, enthusiastic employees who have fallen victim to the incompetence of poor leadership.Leaders insecure about their ability to communicate and afraid of giving up control, lacking vision, inspiration and direction leading to employee confusion, exhaustion and attrition.With great sadness, after 35 years I took the opportunity to leave.
Pros
Cons
Poor Leadership
18 March 2021
Thank you for your feedback, and sorry to hear that you felt like this. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and invest a lot in time and effort in developing our Managers. We review all feedback as an opportunity to consider how we could be even better. Kind Regards, Charlotte, HR Business Partner.
Poor management. Not really a ladder to climb and better yourself. Potentially worth it if you're settled with a family but not ideal for anyone young looking to settle.
Pros
Cheap bread
Cons
No social life
Overall I loved the job and the people who worked with me, but I was dismissed due to a transport manager just wanting me out.( in other words just didn’t like me )I was their 11 years and was gutted to loose a job which I would of liked to be there until retirement which was many many years away.As I said, great job, bottom of the barrel transport manger.
Pros
Cheap products to take home, wage, hours, work colleagues.
Cons
Transport manager.
There is a 12 hour shift running between 6AM and 6PM Rotating from day and night. Doing the work is easy, due to experience. But sometimes it's a little bit hard to deal with the staff, the staff frequently won't follow with work instructions (SOP), by then, I'd have to explain to them how work within the health and safety and food and safety guidelines.From working at Allied Bakeries, I have learnt a lot of training courses from the company and improved for our production outlet.
Pros
Polite colleagues.
Cons
Bad coworkers. Example: Laziness and unable to follow instructions.
14 January 2021
Hello – thanks for sharing this. It’s always great to hear good things about life here at Allied Bakeries. I’ll pass your comments on! Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
good bunch of people but the work is hectic with old equipment and constant breakdowns when I was there the shift pattern was awful and a ton of banked hours to pay back
Pros
better than the dole
Cons
too many
14 January 2021
Hi. I’m really sorry to hear you didn’t have a great time here at Allied Bakeries. We’re genuinely committed to colleagues here having the chance to be happy and fulfilled in their work – that being the case, I’m looking back over feedback people have left and am looking into the issues that have been raised. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
A good company to work for, good pay rates and it is very employee focused. The company does expect the best from it's employees but it will always provide training. Health & Safety is high on the management profile. The company has good disiplinary proceedures in place and always treats employees fairly and with dignity.
Pros
Sallery, holidays, health & safety, diversity, support
Cons
Some shifts can be long 12hrs and it is a 24hr operation
14 January 2021
Hi there – great to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
Multi-drop routes were getting too many calls put on them so they could take vehicles off the road to save money. Pressure to hit time windows and achieve so called peak torque targets. Every vehicle was a bit different in terms of how your driving style is supposed to save fuel. With some it was easy and others virtually impossible. Vehicles regularly breaking down. Extra calls sometimes placed on you that are well out of your way because they couldn't fit them on the regular driver's vehicle. Management were dishing out disciplinaries to drivers with relish at one point. Particularly one vindictive manager. Drivers were cutting corners by taking working breaks to get the route completed on time - something that can of course cost you your license if you get caught. Management know that this is happening and are if anything encouraging it. Sent out on routes with no training often resulted in a long and stressful day. Get back late and interrogated about late deliveries and 'peak-torque' when they already know you've been sent out 'blind'. The salary is good but not as good as it used to be since working more hours for the same amount is tantamount to a pay-cut.
Pros
competetive salary, flexible hours
Cons
Long shifts. Beaureaucratic management. Unrealistic targets. Job not secure
14 January 2021
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear that you felt it was log shifts and that shift patterns weren't detailed to you. We want to ensure that our people are fully trained in their roles and at the same time will support employees through out training process. I am sorry if you felt the support you received didn’t work well in your experience. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
Managers don't have a clue. Jobs s doddle, multi drop, not many shops. Vans half empty. Easy job. Slow pace, nice and relaxed. Plenty training when needed
Pros
Easy, relaxed, good pay
Cons
Awful managers
14 January 2021
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. good to hear you felt that was good training, support and happy in your role. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
Constantly picking on drivers, Bad attitude from Management have not got a clue how to treat workers , Should be getting orders to put bread into shops not trying to tell professional drivers how to do there jobs, IE its all about driving styles to justify their jobs to headoffice. Management at headoffice should be looking into how this joke of this depot is being run.
Pros
Cons
Bad Managment
14 January 2021
Hello. I’m sorry to read that you didn’t have a great experience at Allied Bakeries. We’re committed that each of our Bakeries is a great place to work, will be looking into the issues you’ve raised. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
A real see-saw of competent and incompetent management on site. GM's style slightly autocratic. Unions are useless. Staff generally paid well for 4on/off shift; on-site training is questionable. Bit of a blame culture .
Pros
Location and Pay
Cons
Site Management
14 January 2021
Thank you for reading this is my honest review. I'm happy working here but I think it would depend on what team you're on. I'm lucky I have a nice manager. It's by no means perfect but is anywhere? You have good and bad days and night shifts are hard for me personally but the pros outweigh the cons and I wouldn't want to look elsewhere anytime soon. The pay is good in my opinion and its 4 on 4 off so makes for a good work/life balance.
Pros
Pay, generous breaks/holidays, 4 days off
Cons
Night shifts
14 January 2021
nice place to work if you dont mind night shifts and long hours, but the wages are quite high and team is very friendly. management gives you overtime if you ask for it.
Pros
free breakfast once a week
14 January 2021
Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience, good to hear positive feedback. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
They dont look after their employees and treat them like dirt, the pay is good but the hours are long and grueling and you are expected work in 30+ degree heat wearing full ppe for 12 hours a day
No-one cares about the lack of training provided for new starters or agency workers. It is true a busy environment but this is not an excuse for bullying and many others forms of psychological abuse. Management has no will to help in solving the issues.
Allied was a great place to work , the people are what made it for me . People commited their life to this business was challenfing with change but also came through on top. Top people top place to work
I only worked for Allied Bakeries for around 4 months due to a Depot Relocation. The Depot I worked at had a great team of drivers but unfortunately only a couple of permanent staff in the warehouse, the rest supplied by agency. So it was difficult to create a culture with staff changing regularly. That being said, the site at Cardiff was great and the HR team was extremely supportive.
Prior to being employed by Allied bakeries I had been laid off by other companies on numerous occasions. In this employment I have enjoyed 35 years of job security. Many faces have changed over the years, including those of junior and senior managers, their styles of leadership change but never to the point where I could not contemplate remaining in their employment.
My second job at allied, as was made redundant from a customer service roll. O was invited to go back after 18months as logistics admin. Unfortunately i am being made redundant in April.
  1. Employee reviews