Allied Bakeries

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Not too bad, could be better

Worked here for 7 years, colleagues are ok, some management staff could be better. I only left because after 7 years with no recognition or promotion I finally realised that I was just going nowhere here. It’s ok if you just want your bills paying.

Pros

It pays the bills

Cons

Zero work life balance

Shambles

Poor management, constantly understaffed and always running around like an idiot. Expect too much from staff and the pay doesn’t reflect what you have to do on a daily basis especially considering you work nights, weekends and bank holidays. Rate of pay is initially appealing until you realise what the job actually involves, the reason the rate is what it is is because it’s a consolidated rate so you get paid the same regardless of shift (day, night, weekend etc). The equipment is all in dire need of maintenance/replacing and everything that breaks down is usually just fixed for that current shift then breaks again the next day.“Quality is our business” haha what a joke

Pros

4 on 4 off. 4-5 breaks per 12 hour shift.

Cons

Long 12 hour shifts. Broken equipment. Lack of staff. The list is endless.

Disloyal, blame culture, unsupportive

Horrid company, have over numerous years created a blame culture, no support and rushed training. Managers that lie and cost you a good image to better themselves.

Pros

Good pay, good work hours

Cons

Management, no support, no progression oppurtunity

Managed extremely badly

I do not recommend anyone who wants a career with this very badly managed company. You are never appreciated or thanked for the long hours you are given. There is no overtime on the hour's you go over. Management are rude and unhelpful and don't give you the time of day. They treat you like you're something of the bottom of your shoe. Unsociable hour's are part of your day's work. So anybody with a young family are advised not to think about working at this poorly run company. The salary is average for a delivery driver considering what the job entails. But unfortunately Allied bakeries are full of health and safety . But when it comes to it only when something happens they always try to brush it under the carpet. They are living in the dark ages with how you should carry out your daily work. The equipment they expect you to use is dangerous and years out of date. If anyone has any sense please don't even consider this cowboy outfit.

Pros

Cheap bread

Cons

Unsociable long hours

Jobs ok

Jobs ok, everything is loaded for you, all you have to do is strap it down, the runs are the same every shift, Tesco’s, Morrison’s, Aldi, then you have to do a collection, Management are a waste of time, the lads are ok, but DON’T take this job if you don’t like working every weekend & not seeing your friends or family, trucks are a shambles and a disgrace dirty inside & out limited to 52mph & done over 1.5 million km’s, if your a good boy you might get one with a decent stereo, if not have a back up plan (iPod), Money isn’t that brilliant either to say you have to work every weekend, There’s better jobs & better paid jobs out there than allied bakery’s.

Pros

Free bread as much as you can pinch

Cons

Trucks need scrapping & burning

Miserable

Boring .manager in hygiene was excellent ,but under a lot of pressure. Managers of other departments seem to think the you are second class citizens .

Pros

Breaks

Cons

If you want to be treated badly join them

I worked there for nearly a decade the only reason i stayed after the good times was i knew the writing was on the wall and redundancy was certianly coming. The last year or so when i worked there it went downhill fast. Once the bakery went to a depot management were pushing to give out warnings right left and center. If your face doesn't fit expect to have the worst route possible. If you do have a good route expect extra calls added to you. Back when i started all new staff had 9 hour routes on the coffin dodgers had 8 hour routes. About 3 years was when 75% of the routes were under 8 hours. Everyone seemed to be happy. Then came a 2% payraise and 20% increase in work this kept happening right till we were hiting 9-10 hours a day. senior management were on a hunt how to make your day worse. lower management (the ones who had a clue) would tell senior management it is not possible and stand up for the drivers but they didn't care. If you had a suggestion about how to makes some routes more efficient they would not take it on board. If a certian manager A was in you knew what ever you asked would be a straight no even if it was for something simple. The other managers would always try to help providing they can work in a way manage A would not notice. the attuide of manage A is there is a door if you dont like it. Manage A should never of been promoted from driver to manager. Manage A's attendance as a Driver was appauling on the weekends constantly phoning in sick as well as amount of customer complaints coming into the office from his customers. that manager is the reason -

Pros

pension is really good but going home is better

Cons

everything else

great place to work

really enjoyed my time at allied. liked the fact that days were different personally dont like being stuck in too much routine. once out on the road they just let you get on with it. i done a few driving job before i started here and to be honest as driving goes it dont get much more simple.

Pros

never really worked my hours- usually got round quicker and went home

Cons

none really- you get used to unloading stacks of bread

11 October 2021
Hi there – great to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

One of the worse places I’ve ever worked

I honestly don’t know how this company is still in business, the managers are useless and will do anything to get you on a warning or to get rid of you, no one in the transport office has anything to do with transport as they all worked their way up from the bakery. They change the shifts that many times and don’t even tell you, they just say look at the board and next thing you know you’re working every Sunday. Stay away!!!

Pros

Cons

Management, pay.

11 October 2021
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear that you felt that managers weren't supporting you. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Avoid working here!!!!!

Very poorly managed Very unorganised Job itself is okManagement are a waste of life If you like being ignored, unappreciated underpaid not respected and treated like rubbish then this is the job for you!If your a nice relaxed person don’t come here cos allied bakeries will turn you into a monster!!!

Pros

Job and finish

Cons

Managers are incapable of actually managing ANY situation

11 October 2021
Hello. I’m sorry to read that you are not enjoying your time at Allied Bakeries. We’re committed that each of our Bakeries is a great place to work, and with that in mind we’re looking into the issues you’ve raised. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

The workplace culture is very much everybody is in it together and works together to get the job done from senior management downwards. There is a real team atmosphere and management care about their staff. Depending on your aspirations the company really looks to promote from within and offers multiple pathways for improvement. Having been with the company now for a couple of years I would recommend it to anybody looking for a challenge in a fast paced environment where every day is different.

11 October 2021
Hello – thanks for sharing this. It’s always great to hear good things about life here at Allied Bakeries. I’ll pass your comments on! Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Fast paced with lots of opportunities for learning and developmentManagement is good and you get lots of holidaysAlways provide training and put safety first for employeesI always recommend to friends

Mixed experience of work/life balance.

The best thing about working there, perhaps, is the fact that time off each week is concentrated in larger blocks - but the shifts are unpleasant. Stressful work as a result of equipment which never met the requirements of the company's objectives.

Pros

Concentrated blocks of time off.

Cons

Poor investments in machinery historically cost the company dearly.

Ok

Ok place to work,some managers ok some can be very childish,work is tough as product not on wheels,lorries can be low fuel or ad blue due to previous lazy drivers.

Pros

Job & finnish

Cons

Always asking to do O/ time

Lovely company

A lovely company to work for. My boss was very supportive and encouraging. I would definitely work there again if a job came up. The staff were very friendly

Pros

Discounted bakery goods

Cons

No aircon in my office

Give it a miss

Management are like kids not professional work life balance dont exist you work 5 out of 7 weekends different routes every day if your face doesn't fit

Pros

Canteen

Good set of lads

Too many management in one office without any communication and not having a clue about trucks one good manager firm but fair, jo early starts with early finishes

Pros

Early finishes

11 October 2021
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear you felt felt communication wasn't as strong as you would of liked. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner

Best Place to Work

I love my job at Allied Bakeries and would recommend it to anybody. Fabulous Management and great facilities. Everybody is made to feel really important

Pros

Free tea, coffee and toast

Purgatory

You could lose 10 years in a heartbeat, The shift pattern leaves you constantly tired there is a profound lack of care from the shift managers they are obviously only there for a pay check, the site claims quality matters but that must be sarcastic or they misspelt quantity, Although night shifts are entertaining I liked to play what are you on as by midnight you can spot the alcoholics the pot heads or the coke heads each by there own little quirks, but most of them will offer you some of what they are on so I suppose that’s nice of them, The senior management is grossly under qualified Imagine being in carry on baking but with less booby jokes. Plus when it rains the roof leaks onto the production lines which the answer is to cover them with large tarps which I suppose fits in with the circus theme

Pros

4 days off each week

Cons

The 4 days in work

Money is good early finishes management rubbish

Money ok but management will have you in the office in an instance if you do something wrong in their eyes no chance of explaining your down the road

Pros

Early finishes

Cons

Early starts

Steer clear

Over worked and under appreciated especially at the smaller sites. Late bread to the smaller distribution hubs proved to be a nightmare. They would happily make you late going out and still insist on time windows being hit even though you are two hours behind. It’s definitely a face fits when it comes to management. If you want to progress up the ladder then my advice is just be cheaper then the other candidates. It’s more about who you know then what you know. There’s far better companies to work for, also better money out there for less stress. I think the loss of contracts is a true reflection on Allied Bakeries, in the race to the bottom of the bread industry, trying to cripple its competitors, it has in fact destroyed itself. Vast redundancies show this. When it comes to pay rises they always lean heavily on how much the company has lost, so that the drivers feel more grateful to get a rise, when really a business that’s made the huge losses that allied have over the past 20 years, wouldn’t even be in business.

Pros

Cheap bread

Cons

Long hours, under appreciated, no chance to progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allied Bakeries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Allied Bakeries with

• Allied Bakeries
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?