ALSTOM

ALSTOM Employee Reviews

United Kingdom194 reviews

Found 194 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,185 reviews
roleengineerpowercontractprojectsafetysiteteam

the company is good overall

nice to gain experience and to new skills in the field. thr job is not quite secured because you will e working through agency. i guess that is a thing now, hope you will get a chance to get permanent though

Excellent. Not perfect, but excellent!

Caveats: Alstom is a big company so my experience within one project may or may not reflect accurately on the whole. The contract was fixed term, so long over time issues not well assessed.Apologies if not in order as suggested...Typical day? There's no such thing in a 'Tech Office' environment. Most days are jam packed with more than you can possibly do. At this level if you usually have trouble prioritising, the job is not for you.Management: At some (not all!) levels this was not so hot. Cohesive, effective, practical strategy was not always well implemented. Alstom is not unique here unfortunately.Workplace culture: overall, fab-u-lous. However Alstom's reticence to deal with a (thankfully rare) proportion of abusive or toxic individuals seemingly just because of their value or perceived importance was disappointing. The only major negative I experienced.Hardest part of the job: apart from the above, the hardest part of the job sometimes is dealing with people who do not understand that the department (and project as a whole) does not have as much resource for project x as it is did for equivalent project y from z years ago. Implications are not easy for everyone to pick up on.Most enjoyable part? The immediate team I worked in/for. I have not worked with such a 'good bunch' possibly ever, certainly not since the Olympics.What did I learn? That people are more important than things.I would take a pay cut to work with those people again.

Insights into ALSTOM

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things

Poor supervision

Very poor inexperienced supervision leaving apprentices to do absolutely anything they like, which includes a complete lack of respect for the older more experienced guys, They need to be brought back down instead of the "GE" pedestal they're put on

Worked for the Alstom business unit BBRP then SSLInto Alstom for 11 years

I was made redundant in 2018 After 11 years service Through the Alstom business partners BBRP then SSL into Alstom Hard work , long hours but had a great career and line managers

Great Training

Best Management and collaborative personnel I've ever met , they induce you step by step to build your knowledges and technical training in the most motivated and competitive way, great methods to achieve their goals , investing in the right way to create the best environment.

Great team to work with

The site management team were great to work with and came from all over the world. The work was busy and at times stressful, but resources and support were always available. I was allowed to run my function as I wished with minimal supervision.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Head Office in Switzerland performed pay reviews

Corrupt work place /environment

Alstom does not invest in its workforce and uses agency staff that are constantly replaced jobs are only offered to friends and family one of the most corrupt companies I have ever worked at

Cons

Nepatism across the whole company

Good colleagues

This was a temp post, I did not expect it to last. I felt my manager would have kept me on, be he had constraints preventing this. The business was being transferred to a new owner and so budgets were very tight. They used SAP, my first encounter with this particular software. Hopefully my last!!

Pros

Historically important site

Cons

really hard to get to.

Overall good

Good company, informative, only let down were a few people who you would get in any company Of this size. They did their work well tho , personal skill were lacking.

Pros

Good pay and leave benifits

Cons

Shift work

Good working environment

I have enjoyed my time here at Alstom it’s my second time working for this company.It has been wonderful coming to do a totally different role and learning new skills.

Job Description

Ensured that all preparations for document submissions were placed within a specific timescale. Had the capacity to seek support when workload accumulated rapidly, especially during commission dates.

Pros

Atmospheric environment

Cons

Little feasibility of learning new skills

Basic and straight forward

It was interesting job but the company become more difficult to work with with cut of staff numbers and tasks , also perment staff are lazy and they bully anyone who start new

Pros

Continues jobs

Cons

Staff difficult to work with

Top end company

Fast pace company... very attention to detail... some really helpful skilled personnel... some very unwelcoming staff as well... If your from an agency you will be picked up and dropped as and when.... told duration of job is longer than it actually is. .

workplace

cleaning work cabins & offices ,store man, taking deliveries of stock ,ordering new stock.keeping area clean & tidy keeping to the safety rregulations on site, replenishing water bottles on different floor levels in the boiler house, reporting to site manager

dungeon

Poor Mental Health is a major concern for those working there and most workers there suffer from it. Avoid this place like the bubonic plague. office staff are lazy with long serving floor staff hostile to newcomers.

Pros

leaving the place

Cons

hostility

Good place to working

Well run good to workforce, opportunities to progress good work life home life balance training given good training a good business to work for, Worth going

Great place to work excellent health and safety

I enjoyed my time working at Alstom as a paint sprayer on the pendolino Project. Excellence health and safety and great communications between managers and employees. I would definitely go back to Alstom given the opportunity and highly recommend the place

Working away

It's an alright company too work for really depending on what part of the company you in I guess. With me I worked away lot of the time so I am never at home with the kids or the mrs. That is the hardest part of the job.

Flexible hours

Flexible work time, work from home available, work is not interesting for electrical engineers, training approvals are delayed. Management has no strategy for work force utilisation.

Relaxed place but timescales do matter, everyone strives to get the work done together so no-one struggles.

The work life balance at Alstom Stafford was a major factor when i worked there, insofar as everybody want to facilitate a healthy balance and to do so were happy to work conscientiously through out the week to get the job done.

Good people, always striving for improvement

Spent 13 years here in various roles and under many company names.Learnt a great deal but also felt as though I offered the company a lot. I totally bought into the improvement of the planning department and I think it was heading in the right direction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALSTOM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement