Altrad Generation

Altrad Generation Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews

Large corporate company, overworked, lack of support. Large number of fantastic staff that are consistently overworked & underappreciated

What you would expect from a large company, less personal approach & lack of appreciation, support, training and recognition. Workplace culture can be good, a large number of staff work tirelessly for the business that is not recognized or valued. Short staffed for amount of business put through, which causes high stress levels quite evidently for a number of staff. Voicing opinions or ideas usually brushed under the carpet. The hardest part about the job is the complete lack of support & training is virtually non existent for new starters. The most enjoyable part is, there are a few remaining, knowledgeable long standing members of staff that are an absolute credit to the business who without them, operations wouldn't continue (or at least half as well). These members are a credit to themselves and the company & it is such a shame that they are overlooked and underappreciated by upper management.

Fun working

Very good management good staff and friendly , but salary not good, work for this company is fun better places to work relaxed job is life balance, I am happy here.

Insights into Altrad Generation

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things

Bad planning

Poorly planned routes as a result of which it was necessary to return without delivering the last order. I got an old track that was constantly breaking down. My fuel tank was leaking on my last day at work...

Wouldn’t work here again

A select few people “fit in” here. It’s good if your family already works there. But if you’re an outsider they will make you feel welcome at first and then after a while, like you have been scraped off their shoes.

Pros

Same lorry every day

Great people on yard to work with

People who have a get up go get looked over by management by creeps who do nothing but skive leaving other people to pick up the workload,tell management and nothing gets done.

Pros

Drivers and yard staff great camaraderie

Cons

Pay

Hard dirty work, average pay - not a nice job !

My employment started as an agency driver and progressed to permanent through my performance and the relatively high turnover of staff as a driver delivering access equipment to the building trade. The job entailed much heavy lifting in dirty and often cold and wet conditions along with much of the driving being in London. As with a lot of underpaid work in and around the building industry, a lot of the employees are of disreputable character and unsocial habits and persona - indeed the only person at the branch that I did like was the manager who was a nice guy and often sought my explanation of quite why others did not perform their tasks to a sufficient level. The branch at West Drayton closed and business from such relocated to a 'sister branch' at West Thurrock where there was enough space for the constantly increasing inventory. All but the manager and head of sales were made redundant and I was not sorry to leave as the work was tedious both at driving in London and having to deal with mostly non-English speaking people on sites that seemed very dis-organised to say the least.

Pros

use of company services for free, and use of company vehicle to and from work

Cons

Long hours driving in London, dirty environments and constant miss-direction from Admin staff.

Not great

Not a great company to work for if you got children or over commitments Lack of leadership at all levels Nice working environment in the yard, as in the people that work in the yard

Run by bullies, for bullies

The working conditions are one of the poorest I have ever encountered - the hours were 07.30 to 17.30 of which I was told there was no lunch break (!!?). The level of training was minimal, and if you asked any questions you would have had eyes rolled to heaven by the only other person in the same office as you. One instance there was a conflict of options and I was told by the so called company rep "lets go and sort this out, outside now"!!! When I raised the issue of this matter with the area manager I was told it would be un-wise to take it to another level. The atmosphere between manager and company reps was volatile to say the least. The customers knew what they wanted and some just helped themselves to stock thus over-riding paperwork and leading to stock being unaccounted for. I managed nearly ten months before I resigned as my health was suffering

Pros

no pros

Cons

50 hours per week without any breaks.

Integrity don’t fare well here

What your promised and if that happens are two very different conversations. Operations are Clicky, and change is not anything they will do anytime soon. They charge all customers and unaware what stocks in the yard.

Good staff but low pay

Wages were much lower than competitors and no chance of a rise boss runs about after his son non stop it’s embarrassing everyone is made to feel inadequate in there apart from a select group of family n freind

Pros

Cons

2nd class citizen are treated with more respect

brilliant workplace

incredible company to work for with amazing benefits. the people are very good to work for, it doesn't feel like work as you can also have a good laugh with your colleagues

Job Review

A typical day would be to develop and drive a business forward. Always new techniques and methods to learn. Teach , learn and advise. Need proactive management approach. Understanding and implementing goals and objectives. The satisfaction of creating and achieving results.

fun

dealing with daily logs, updating invoices onto the system, helping on the reception. dealing with accounts and adding on new customers onto the software. management were great and supportive.

Brilliant place to work I enjoy driving forklifts,haveing a laugh with the other staff and just the job in general the job has a great environment in all perfect job.

Pros

Staff and work commitment

Cons

Going downhill year on year

This used to be an excellent privately owned company to work for, who cared for their employees, rewarded hard work, loyalty and gave job satisfaction and security. Unfortunately things began to go downhill when they were acquired by the Altrad Group. Employees are now treated as a number & there is a culture of bullying and intimidation by the senior management. This is reflected by the large turnover of staff, many of whom have worked for the company for a long time. Training at branch level is poor however staff are held accountable and quickly dispensed of if they don't perform or fit in with senior management expectations. There is a 'them and us' culture which unfortunately results in a feeling of insecurity and not being valued or appreciated. Senior management operates a policy of threat management and bullying with little consultation with it's employees, which has ultimately resulted in poor engagement and a culture of 'keep your head down and get on with your job'. Overall, this company needs to start valuing it's greatest asset - it's employees and remember it's them that got them where they are today!

Pros

Good salary and cars

Cons

Senior management

Very good place to work

The hours are good for the money. Good people to work with. The management treat you how you should be treated. You get to go to work and enjoy your day.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

hard work

Lack of training and support

Generation was a busy and varied place to work. The salary was adequate and most of the time the environment was friendly. Managers don’t seem to be proactive in their management and will not approach you with issues about your performance but instead converse with other staff about you and have no evidence of their claims about you. The company offers no pay increase whatsoever, holidays are not allowed the week up to stocktake which are twice a year and one falls in August. There is no training given, you are overwatched doing the task once and then left to get on. Health and safety culture is substandard in the warehouses and yard, the company makes you pay for your work boots and only offers to buy new uniform when workers current uniform has fallen apart.

Pros

Varied

Cons

Poor management

Was Yard Chargehand At Bury St Edmunds

Avoid at all costs unless your Totally Desperate,Treats Staff Like Worthless Slaves,So overworked and underpaid it affects your Home Life,Specially Avoid the Bury St. Edmunds branch,Management are totally clueless an break every health an safety rule in the book an don’t care about there yard staff

Pros

Cons

Treated really bad, Very poorly Managed, Very Poor Pay

Review

Pleasant office environment. Busy role. Work/life balance - good. Management Workplace culture Variety of difference in the job - no two days were the same

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Distance to commute to

Busy, reactive, generally rewarding, can have a laugh, and let your personality shine through

I get to deal with SMEs to major UK contractors. I enjoy finding new business and making the sale. The people are down to earth, rough diamonds as such. No time for wasters

Pros

work life balance

Cons

progression opportunity

labourer

i worked at generation hire and sale through a best connections agency. i enjoyed working there, construction is a career that i would like to progress in

Pros

friendly environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altrad Generation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Altrad Generation
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?