Alzheimer's Society

Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my experience there. You genuinely have to want to help support people and make a difference. The diseases are too serious to be blasé about the support you offer. Don't just do it because it's a job. It should be vocational.. 👍
Pros
Lovely staff members who soon became friends
Cons
Some roles are subject to fixed term contracts
Never worked with such horrible management only out for themselves Did not respect anyone else views and covered there mistakes up Unless you are a yes no person don’t apply to work for them
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
No respect as a person managers are all in it for themselves
The job involved visiting people living with Dementia and making an assessment for services to " improve " the lives of people with dementia at mild to moderate stages living in the community. Had to take a lot of personal information from these people for not a lot offered back. It seemed that the balance was wrong. It bugged me.
Pros
Part time work offered. Lots of training.
Cons
Have to use own car and claim back expenses
Wonderful lovely caring environment. Being allowed to be part of a team. Trust kindness and beautiful people who care .Understanding of how family’s get through this ragged disease which robs you of your memories ❤️More funding please
I experienced a breakdown after working for the AS. Management and culture are atrocious. The bullying is throughout. Never again & I wouldn’t recommend to an enemy, never mind a friend.
Pros
Pay is reasonable
Cons
Constant atmosphere of change and no consistency of people or policy at senior levels, therefore very unsettled workforce.IT provision erratic and makes for stressful environment when senior management so lacking in flex.People at the front line always very reliable and driven but not a culture that is continued upwards.Organisational attitude is that it is regarded as far more pivotal to lives and other organisations than it really is, making external relationships difficult as institutional arrogance and tight reins from management restrict partnership working.
Pros
Colleagues often freindly and positive.
Cons
Poor senior management.
I feel that the new CEO is a great new development for the organisation. Training provided. Workplace culture - we welcome new members with bringing and sharing lunch together. It's a warm friendly collaborative inclusive team. My recent managers have been supportive regarding any issues outside work. eg bereavement,
Pros
CEO regularly updates us on work developments.
Cons
poor pay for the skilled, responsive, valued, responsive, person centred creative and responsive work we do
Colleagues were good and team work was good. However the organisation is constantly restructuring and job security is poor. Also relies on fundraised money and local authority contracts to pay staff so job security is poor.
Pros
Good training and colleagues
Cons
Short term contracts poor job security
Varied work tasks in response to needs of people accessing the service; access to training; value based company; can be stressful when unable to source activities for service users
A typical day at the office is varied and no two days are alike. Depending on co-workers, environment was warm, friendly and relaxed. Line Manager was brilliant and essentially a people-person, good listener, empathetic and empowered me to reach out to my full potential. The most difficult part of the job is contract stipulations can be quite high and challenging. The most rewarding part of the job is to actually see the difference staff are making to the lives of people living with dementia and family carers. To also get other local organisation coming to the team for support, knowledge and information on dementia.The Society new strategy and new deal on dementia has also meant restructuring posts but with a good training portfolio, new team will carry on the banner. I am proud to have had a lengthy work experience with the Alzheimer's Society and it has helped to shape up my skills in other positions and helped me to be more independent, to be resourceful and a quick learner. I will most certainly recommend the Alzheimer's Society has a good place to work. There is no perfect organisation, but they are passionate about dementia as I am.
Pros
Excellent and bespoke training opportunities
Cons
Time scale pressure on reporting
I'm not prepared to divulge further information here and perhaps you can get additional info from other people who choose to fill this out? Thanks and sorry
I had the opportunity to engage in various roles with the company. I enjoyed my time in all of them Managing the volunteers Liaising with relevant professionals to support the client and working in hospital to access some patients for referral for services.
Under managed, blindsided, unprofessional. Could go unnoticed and lacked any job satisfaction or career building opportunities. On the whole staff are very dedicated.
Pros
Relaxed and caring
Cons
Not valued
Good company to work for. Excellent training opportunities. This is a charity which help many people who have different types of Dementia. Would recommend this company to work for.
Great at supporting staff in training. Good working conditions and fair pay. Opportunity to advance if desired. I enjoyed my time working for Alzheimer's Society.
The overall ethos of the society is to support people living with dementia and their families as well as fund research and raise awareness. What they do is fab and the money is well spent - although I think the New Deal on Dementia needs a little more work to be involved more at community level
Organisation is very big so you get to mingle with a lot of people, interactive mostly in the mornings around the kitchen area as we share views of work, social life and other family issues. The organisation cared for people with Dementia they are very passionate about that, I learned a lot through them of people suffering from this illness. Culture is more or less good. The hardest part of my work is year end as we get audited and I will have to manage work flow and also deal with the auditors The most enjoyable is spending social time with my colleagues on evening out after hard days job.
Great place to work! Everyday is different so brings variety to the role and allows for community engagement and relationship building. Lovely team of people to work with!
The service I was employed in was unable to renew lottery funding and I was told within the second week of my employment that the service was closing. I was most unhappy.
I really enjoyed this role and was bitterly disappointed at being made redundant due to withdrawal of funding. I had already had a lot of training and awareness during my time at social services. It was challenging at times having that difficult conversation about the diagnosis and future challenges for the service user, family and friends.
Poor senior management who seem completely out of touch with those of us in face to face roles. Over- complicated reporting system, often requiring repetition when completing CRS. My six months was a shambles. Having worked in more complicated and demanding roles, this should've been a breeze!