American Golf

American Golf Employee Reviews

I have on and off worked for AG fir 15 years in different parts off the UK.From the good old days of American golf discount best company I have ever worked for, to the god awful owners a few years ago.The new owners are much better cutting away a lot off the nonsense and getting rid off a lot off dead wood. It isn't perfect but much better now.
Pros
If you love golf you get to be around something you love every day
Cons
Still a way to go to sort store and head office relationship it not good
Don't get paid for all the hours you work. Don't get to choose your days off. Area manager is a complete ****.No overtime, targets are unachievable depending on which site you work at.
Pros
Discount if your a golfer
Cons
Dont get to choose your days off, work out of hours with no pay
Started at American Golf in November. No training what so ever. Staff were all too busy to help you. So was just sat there staring at a screen not knowing what to do. Don’t allow you to take breaks and Team Leader seemed to be on a power trip and spoke to advisors appallingly
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no training
Helping to enhance my understanding of golf and the golf industry. Thoroughly enjoyable team to work with, great store. Good HR team, good discount for staff members.
Pros
Golf facilities on site
Cons
Rate of pay
There are so many opportunities to develop and grow. at AGIt has a demanding and fast paced culture, which you would expect within a retail environmentIt is immensely rewarding when you look back at what you have achieved Its a workplace that's open to change with an exciting futureReally enjoyable
Pros
Opportunities to progress
Cons
There's been some long hours
14 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive feedback. We appreciate your time and we are happy to read that you feel your role is rewarding.
I had a lot of fun whilst doing my work experience at American golf because they were very understanding that this was my first time working in a surrounding this field of work.
Pros
Long lunch hour
Cons
Not much parking
Great company to work for great team and enjoy coming to work each day, flexible working, senior management always approachable and friendly and they always encourage development
Pros
People
Cons
Communication
14 December 2020
Thank you for leaving this position review. We hope to continue to encourage development.
If you work in retail and love Golf I don't think you will find a better place to work. Feels like things are going in the right direction. Benefits are good. Loan clubs, good discount, birthday off.
Benefits
Cons
Retail hours
25 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive review.
Good place to work with great benefits. Overall, good workplace culture with friendly and exciting atmosphere. Welcoming, helpful and supportive team.
Pros
Benefits & people
18 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review.
Really good managements teams who are supportive. Very team focused environment. Those in charge show they really care about where they are taking the company.
Pros
Management, Team, People
18 November 2020
Thank you for the positive review. It's great to read your experience working within the business.
Great place to work with amazing, passionate people across the business. The culture has really changed for the positive over the past 18 months with ongoing support and recognition at the forefront.Exciting time for the business with new stores and refits happening.
Pros
Incentives, Recognition
Cons
Retail hours as expected
13 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive review. We hope to continue to move forward with growth and development within our retail stores and will continue to develop our great people.
I really enjoyed my time at AG. The work is allocated fairly, and training given on all aspects of golf accessories and equipment sales. The manager is a very accommodating and approachable manager with great man management skills. The shifts were always worked out fairly, and shift swaps were always available. Overall a great experience.
Pros
Work life balance, discount, great team spirit.
Cons
Some long days with an early start the following day.
13 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review our business. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at American Golf.
The good old days of American Golf have fell by the wayside the pressure to sell is unbearable the newish,sales proces makes you feel like a babbling robot the natural sales flair has been erased, senior management is shocking beyond belief, no interaction with the sales staff if your face doesn't fit you will be out the door. Commission is absolutely shocking I could go on but what's the point nothing will get changed
Pros
The shop staff are usually good to get along with.
Cons
Pay long hours shame really used to be a good company to work for.
13 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review our business and although it's not what we want to read we will continue to take feedback like this on board to improve for our great colleagues across the business.
Complaints about another employee unprofessional stealing sales not taken seriously.Employees are underpaid for the level of product knowledge the role requires. Staff only receive 1% commission on all sales. Management will be on your back all the time for increased sales.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Inadequate pay and unpleasant working environment
13 November 2020
Thank you for your time to leave this review. We continually review our pay and commission structure to ensure we are competitive. Your feedback will be used to improve our business in the future.
As a small and varied team of professionals dedicated to improving the game of golf. Instilling a culture of customer focused excellence in service and quality of fit.
Pros
Golf
Cons
Golf
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review of our business and teams.
At the store level, the job is great with really friendly staff and a good rate of pay (bar management). If you are an avid golfer the benefits of working here are brilliant. The members of staff outside the stores in high-level management positions are poor and are only bothered about profitability and give little regards to staff members in order to achieve this.
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are happy to read that you feel the benefits offered with our business are brilliant. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our higher management outside of your store. Although this feedback is disappointing, it is welcomed to allow for improvement.
I don’t know how a golf business can be run by people that are not from a golf back ground . Unprofessional, dishonest , unreasonable targets and sales techniques, just a joke really iv been in the golf trade for ever and the business model is a joke , waste of 4 months of my life
2 April 2020
Thank you for leaving this review. Our business welcomes golfers of all levels across our stores but we also welcome passionate salespeople who are driven by goals/targets while maintaining service standards at all time.We would like to wish you luck in your next career.
Good company if you like the golf industry. They provide a full golf fitting service and from time to time free lessons from PGA golfers. Have to be prepared to work varying shifts due to store opening hours.
2 April 2020
Thank you for writing this review. We appreciate your comments and you are correct as a retail business we offer various hours to ensure that we are available to deliver the best service for the customer within our stores opening hours.
Motto is "we exist to improve your game" That's as far from the truth as it gets. You sell equipment based on incentives and you are told to sell even if its not necessary
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. As a retail business we do hold a number of product incentives monthly however we remain focused on our service offering. We will continue to improve customers games through our knowledgable teams in-store and our free in store fitting process.
I worked as a casual sales assistant at American Golf for about half a year and found that it was very a sales and target driven job. The training process was very long winded and required a fair bit of time outside of working hours. They teach you a sales approach that you have to follow for every customer even if wanted to browse or were just coming in to buy a bag of tees. The managers will be on your back all the time making sure you are meeting your targets and following this sales tactic which I found very unnatural. The targets were hard to reach given the footfall in most golf shops particularly on a week day. A typical day consists of pretending to rehang clothes and put the golf balls back in the right place whilst eyeing up your next customer. The employee benefits are really great if you like golf but would be of no interest if you didn't play. You definitely need to know your stuff about golf equipment and enjoy full on sales to do this job.
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We continually review our training process and development programmes to ensure that we equip our colleagues with the knowledge they need to provide the best service. We will continue to review our benefits.
I feel that American Golf give you loads of benefits and learning something new everyday as well as getting opportunity to interact with the public and gaining relationships between customers.
17 January 2020
Thank you for this fantastic review! We hope to continue drive learning and development for our colleagues across the business. Continue the great work.
  1. Employee reviews