American Golf

American Golf Employee Reviews

job review

too much focus on certain sales aspects and no in store training or off site training after initial trainingsome stores have longer hours and shift patterns enjoy learning about new products and technologyvery sales driven and individual commission does not create a team atmosphere

Pros

discount on expensive golf clubs

Cons

low commission structure

15 September 2021
Thank you for your review.We are continuously working to improve on our training and development programmes to ensure that all colleagues are equipped with the knowledge required to succeed within our business.

Much more than a Golf retail outlet

Over the past 12 months after a number of new leisure complexes have opened everything has been going well. Some more training and development required but they do their best with online learning.Hopefully the business continues to grow. Great team. Some learning curves but good support in place.

Pros

Discount across retail and leisure

Cons

Some more personal development face to face

No culture, no team, no training, everyone is only there until they find a better job.

Job is poorly paid, commissions are very low and culture is absent.Training is by app sent to your phone, which is old and outdated, with the expectation it is done in your own time. Hourly WhatsApp’s telling about sales are distraction from actually doing the job. Constant change of staff as the compensation is poor. The systems in place are clunky, slow and make it difficult to learn. I would say Sainsbury’s is a better option!

Pros

Golf

Cons

No culture or bonus structure

5 November 2021
We are sorry to read about your experience working at American Golf. As the business grows we continue to take this type of feedback on board to help improve on the areas outlined.

Nice place to work

Nice place to work with friendly team's. Having a love for the game always helps when dealing with customers daily. Good commission scheme with realistic targets.

Pros

Golf!

Cons

Lots of targets but not unrealistic.

5 November 2021
Thank you for your comment. We are lucky to have some of the most passionate colleagues working for us to help all customers improve their game.

Amazing teams ⛳

I love working for American Golf! Atmosphere is great and teams across the business are great. It's a sales role but great rewards should you hit those targets.

Pros

Team, Commission

Cons

Weekend working

5 November 2021
We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It's always great to hear that you enjoy working at American Golf.

American Golf finally moving forward in the right direction.

The business is finally moving in the right direction with a clear strategy. Exciting things happening in the company and the management team seem to understand how to improve on the past. Investment in new driving ranges and refits. Looking like a promising future. That being said, its no walk in the park but if you're willing to work out to develop it will come.

Pros

Golf, Teams

Cons

Hours

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review. Your feedback is appreciated.

The people I work for are very helpful and friendly management are open to new ideas and they are very helpful.

My view on American Golf.The Company has just starting to Hiring visual merchandiser to work in some of their stores, Some of the staff and management still need more training on what a visual merchandiser do in store.

Pros

More facilities to be provided in the staffroom eg tables and chairs for staff to sit on.

Cons

Half an hour break is not enough for someone working eight hours per day

15 September 2021
Thank you for your review. We will continue to develop out teams across stores and management to ensure they have a clear understanding of all roles within the business.

Great environment and people to work with and in

I enjoy waking up and knowing that I will go to work that day. My role in the shop is clear and I often learn and know what my goals are on a daily work basis. I thoroughly enjoy working

Pros

Great employee benefits

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review. Your feedback is appreciated.

I Lost My Passion for the Game of Golf

Worst job I have had can’t believe I stuck it out so long. Suppose I thought it would get better after a while. Never been so stressed to sell something connected to my passion for golf. Teams are over worked under paid and made to feel like they are terrible at their jobs on a weekly basis without any formal coaching. Run by a dictator who can barely look after himself never mind the many staff he looks after. The company is run by fear of failure to meet targets or go on a Performance improvement note without support. This then could relate to employees losing their job. The selling structure is too difficult to keep consistent, it feels robotic and their is no customer service. They basically teach you how to trick the customer into thinking they need to buy something. The focus should be on gaining an awesome reputation, it should be a great fun place to work where people come to shop their passion not be hounded by staff looking for commission or driven by fear of missing a target.

Pros

Your break if you get it, 30 minutes for up to 12 hours work. Enjoy!

Cons

Extremely long hours, Sales Driven, lucky to get a break, short staffed, management

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experiences working for American Golf. We are always looking at ways of improving and this will certainly help us review our processes moving forward.

Rewarding and fun work place

Working for American golf is rewarding and enjoyable especially when you know about golf and play golf yourself. Always happy to help improve our customers game!

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on working for us. It's great to read.

Great Staff, Good management.

It’s early days with my time with American Golf but I’m looking forward to working hard and hopefully having a successful long term career with AG and excited for the future in something I enjoy that will give me the work/life balance I’m after.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Not aware of any.

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. It's always great to read that our new colleagues are enjoying working for us. We are sure that you will enjoy your career with American Golf for many years to come.

Interesting & Engaging Workplace

I enjoyed my brief spell at AG. The team were great, very friendly and made me feel very welcome & were always happy to help. The product range was extensive but trading was available on line and in store. The Custom Club fitting service was an excellent sales tool and customers always enjoyed having a swing of clubs in there.

Pros

Great place to work if you’re a golfer

Cons

None.

3 June 2021
Thank you for spending the time to review. We hope you are enjoying whatever it is you are currently doing away from American Golf.

Area manager is not a nice person

Don't get paid for all the hours you work. Don't get to choose your days off. Area manager is a complete ****.No overtime, targets are unachievable depending on which site you work at.

Pros

Discount if your a golfer

Cons

Dont get to choose your days off, work out of hours with no pay

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review and I am sorry to read about your experiences working for American Golf. The feedback will be used to improve our business moving forward.

Awful place to work

Started at American Golf in November. No training what so ever. Staff were all too busy to help you. So was just sat there staring at a screen not knowing what to do. Don’t allow you to take breaks and Team Leader seemed to be on a power trip and spoke to advisors appallingly

Pros

Cons

No breaks, no training

3 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are working hard to improve on our training and development with our head office so we appreciate this feedback.

Excellent company to work with

Helping to enhance my understanding of golf and the golf industry. Thoroughly enjoyable team to work with, great store. Good HR team, good discount for staff members.

Pros

Golf facilities on site

Cons

Rate of pay

Its much better now

I have on and off worked for AG fir 15 years in different parts off the UK.From the good old days of American golf discount best company I have ever worked for, to the god awful owners a few years ago.The new owners are much better cutting away a lot off the nonsense and getting rid off a lot off dead wood. It isn't perfect but much better now.

Pros

If you love golf you get to be around something you love every day

Cons

Still a way to go to sort store and head office relationship it not good

Inspiring, energetic, face paced place to work

There are so many opportunities to develop and grow. at AGIt has a demanding and fast paced culture, which you would expect within a retail environmentIt is immensely rewarding when you look back at what you have achieved Its a workplace that's open to change with an exciting futureReally enjoyable

Pros

Opportunities to progress

Cons

There's been some long hours

14 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive feedback. We appreciate your time and we are happy to read that you feel your role is rewarding.

It was fun and gave me a lot of knowledge for my work experience

I had a lot of fun whilst doing my work experience at American golf because they were very understanding that this was my first time working in a surrounding this field of work.

Pros

Long lunch hour

Cons

Not much parking

Great Company to work for

Great company to work for great team and enjoy coming to work each day, flexible working, senior management always approachable and friendly and they always encourage development

Pros

People

Cons

Communication

14 December 2020
Thank you for leaving this position review. We hope to continue to encourage development.

Combined my love for Retail and Golf!

If you work in retail and love Golf I don't think you will find a better place to work. Feels like things are going in the right direction. Benefits are good. Loan clubs, good discount, birthday off.

Benefits

Cons

Retail hours

25 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive review.

Rewarding

Good place to work with great benefits. Overall, good workplace culture with friendly and exciting atmosphere. Welcoming, helpful and supportive team.

Pros

Benefits & people

18 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Golf. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare American Golf with

• American Golf
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?