Amey Plc

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Average place for work

Management is really bad here. They don't have any set procedure for anything and they keep changing rules. Most people have don't care attitude as they have tried everything but because of bad management and high turnover of staff they all get tired. If you want to progress in your career please don't accept job here.

Brilliant work place but came to a bad end.

It was a brilliant place to work and all the staff were nice and helpful. They made me feel wanted and part of a team but it ended when they lied to me about were to hand sick notes in an then also lost them an said I hadn't handed any in , my circumstances then changed an I needed to work different hours to help with my kids an my partners work but they didn't care an just wouldn't help so I had to leave. Which was annoying as I loved the place an gave it my all always an after over a year there they just acted like I was nothing so didn't help so I no other choice but to leave to find the hours I now needed elsewhere.

Pros

Got all school holidays off.

Cons

Some super bossy and super lazy people

Good place to work ,

Not a bad company to work but can be stressful sometimes, management are more for bosses then the staff on the ground, but I enjoy what I do so I just keep busy .

Pros

Great staff, easy going

Good work place

Overall good work place just some staff they work with that are not always friendly I would say that it is a good work place to start off with before going on to something better

Insecure working environment

Management change things to suit themselves, aggressive and toxic work culture, caretakers and engineers generally positive, office staff strong blame culture, middle management pretty much wiped out from abusive practices

Pros

quick progression due to gaps filled with lower level staff constantly

Cons

Badly managed, managers don't understand the contracts, managers aren't qualified, directors ignore issues

Stressful beyond words!

Don’t work for this company if you value your health! and mental health. Never enough staff to cover areas. The staff who do turn up are expected to cover these areas and their own! You are told you are valuable to the company and are appreciated until you have a sick day! They expect you to do a lot in the little time you have. No time to spend a penny! I’ve learned that you need to watch your back! I gave this 1 star as I can’t give less!!!

Stressful but good learning opportunities

Lots of good staff/colleagues working there but too few for the capacity of work. Work is very quick paced with a fast turn around. Good learning experience but can be very stressful

Best job I've ever had

Great job, real freedom ie you are left alone unless you are doing your job wrong. Keeps you fit. Once the work is done you can go home unless the other crews are not finished, everyone helps each other out till it's done. Great people in the yard and management are basically like one of the crew because we are all in it together. Like I said it was the best job I ever had.

Fun and helpful problem solving company

Good company good people my job I kept the yard clean petrol pump assistant sorting things into different skips taking paint out of gas cannister was fun we had some banter

Pros

Gift vouchers for good work

Cons

Depends on the account/project you are working in

In general the shared services are horrible, accounts payable (vendors chasing payments all the time, not because lack of funds but lack of resources both human and system), HR (delays to request any small thing, forget if you need something from them once you leave), also due to the selling of part of the company their managers were more worried about their jobs than to take care of the people. It also depends from project to project, and your direct line manager.

Big organisation, trying to empower their people. Pockets of excellence and areas of development required.

Since a change in the senior exec, the culture is changing and the business is trying to empower it teams. Pace needs increasing and more engagement from front line workers required.

Pros

Good benefits, great operational teams who really care about doing a great job

Cons

Lots of internal politics, still a blame culture in pockets, say the right things but behaviour differently.

Gender pay gap needs addressing not just across the company but within teams

Males in the team are paid more for the same role. Very unfair, no progression opportunities. No support with mental health. Overall wouldn’t recommend

Resource

Good overall company. Strong leader but a disconnect between other divisions. Was TUPE’d in and it was a culture shock from what I used to do.

Fine.

Started during Covid so hard to make a fair assessment. But on the whole unsatisfactory all round. Management seem to operate on a popularity contest.

Rubbish place to work. Avoid at all costs

Avoid AMEY at all costs. No body helps you if you are running behind, they expect you to clean a big area in 3 hours. Management are not much cop. The supervisor who I worked with was not a very good supervisor. I wouldn’t let her manage cattle let alone a team.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

Everything.

Only give them a 1 star as unable to leave zero stars

Management don’t have a clue couldn’t run a free for all bar and don’t know what there doing. HR are as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Only bothered about there self and getting there bonuses

Pros

Cons

Amey is a con

Don’t waste your time

Amey are not worth the stress and hassle and messed up wages nothing is never done right look for a company who value there staff and don’t work you in to the ground

Pros

That I left

Relaxed atmosphere

Overall decent company to work for. Perhaps a bit too relaxed at times and communication from management down could do with improvement. However, always treated fairly and the pros outweigh the cons.

Stay away

Worked at area 7 highways.. to be fair my peoples manager was brilliant but everything else was a night mare. I felt pushed out the door with a round of redundancy’s and proposed shift changes, unless I agreed to worked nights things wore going to become difficult Nobody takes pride in the work and the bear min to make it ‘look ok in the pictures’12 hour shifts and pressured into stand by’s on your rest days always felt like I was at work. Training and progression was none existence. Smt don’t know what they are doing.

Pros

Good lads on the tools

Cons

Endless

Avoid

Totally incompetent manager running the team at the prison, unqualified and unable to manage tasks. The culture was edging towards using handy men to carry out electrical works, single and three phase.

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, poor management

No loyalty to staff, you are just a number nothing more

I can only speak for Amey Highways in Area 7, but after the recent bout of redundancies, you are treated unequally, your previous years of loyal service is discarded, and everything promised in the consultation meeting's are not honoured.Working 4 on 4 off but your inner two days you are expected to be on call so you cannot do anything on your 4 off or go away. So in reality you are working 6 on 2 off . They make all show of caring, with posters and email, but it's all for show to the client, they couldn't careless.

Cons

Long hours, terrible SMT, saving pennies, spending 1000s

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amey Plc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement