Aneurin Bevan University Health Board logo
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board Employee Reviews

Hard work but fun at times

Productive and fun but hard work. Some bullying. I was there for 4 years but never offered a contract. I was there as and when they needed me. I did enjoy working there until I had to shield because of covid. I eventually lost my job because of the shielding.

Pros

Paid extra for weekend work

Cons

Temporary job

Mismanaged

Very cliquey, managers are generally useless and don’t care about you, they’ll offload as much work as they can on you, so they can focus on their own progression. They’ll promote their friends over whoever is best for the job, continuing the mismanagement culture. (They say it’s points based, but at the end of the day they can make the points work for whoever they want). Certain staff can get away with murder, whilst other staff are heavily targeted for menial mistakes. Pay isn’t great, the only reason you’d get into this sector is for job satisfaction which you get from helping patients. I’d highly recommend you look at other health boards/private before choosing this one though!

Pros

Pension, discount scheme, cycle to work scheme, car lease scheme

Cons

Copious amounts of pressure, understaffed/under equipped throughout. Unequal and Unfair treatment of staff.

A busy yet rewarding environment.

Working in as part of a multi-disciplinary team is in itself challenging and yet rewarding. Health care is a diverse and constantly changing role but the basics stay the same. It can be upsetting and it can be difficult but the highs far outnumber the lows. To see someone sit out of bed, take first steps, even just be able to sit up in bed, all these things are simple but mean such a lot. The responsibility of patients' care is not something that should not be underestimated but it is always a privilege.

Pros

Excellent job satisfaction, knowing that you have the opportunity to help people.

Cons

Sometimes long hours and difficult situations outside your control

Royal gwent hospital

Working for ABUHB at the Royal Gwent Hospital is an amazing experience and the pay is good, however the managers like to throw their weight around as well as security guards acting as if they own the place! Very Cliquey and staff tend to clash, management like to lay you off after 3 months or so after promises of keeping you permanently... Other than this the place is lovely to work and patients are very appreciative.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor Management

Mental Health Nursing at ABUHB

A stressful job with few rewards. Most of the mental health facilities are outdated and staff morale is low. There is pressure to meet unrealistic targets and generally poor management of services.

Pros

Pension Scheme

Cons

High pressure area

Good

I have enjoyed working forABUHB while being in the bank. There has been lots of shifts available The staff working at the resource bank are also very helpful

In the lab

It’s hard and busy, I need to work at a fast pace and also work good under pressure which you need to do in that job role. The hardest part is sometimes not knowing some of the test marks but I can easily ask someone who is near. Management is quite relaxed. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what your doing is a good and important part of the hospital

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Poor childcare understanding

Controlled by bullies

Don’t work in nevill hall hospital or the royal gwent as the managers are vile and cruel. I was told no one liked me and to leave despite having more experience and qualifications than the rest of the office dolls. You try and find a manager (idiot) that garners any respect I have a list of cruel vile women in nevill hall hospital

Pharmacy technician

Really enjoyed working as part of a proactive team and gaining experience all over the hospital. It can be a fast paced environment some times but there is usually enough staff members to help you out.

Pros

Discount on meals, flexible working hours, NHS discounts, progression at different levels

Cons

Weekend working (but you get the time back)

Cliquey

Horrible hospital to work in and I've worked in several through agency work etc. I was more respected as agency staff Cliquey, everyone knows everyone outside work as they've all grown up/looked after etc each other for years, so don't exactly like you've worked anywhere else. if you have any experience, but strangely enough don't know where anything is, they seem to dislike you even more for bothering them. I had plenty of experience elsewhere and was respected there. Cant raise issues as the management condone the bullying atmosphere

Jobs at Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

See more jobs

Competitive and dishonest senior members of staff in PC

Lack of support from senior members of staff. General manager for primary care can only be described as in it for herself and is quite happy to step on anyone’s head to get where she needs to be. Lack of compassion and understanding for clinical and non clinical members of staff.

Quite fair needs a lot more cash input to improve services buildings & resources

I was an employee for several years in different departments. Depending on department some were a better environment than others eg where long term staff ruled the roost & if your face fitted etc. If you could get into s friendly department thing's like holidays, work/ life balance were good. Equipment to do job always needed updating & fixing. Parking always a problem. Overall can be a good place to work.

Productive and constructive

My role is varied from management to clinical workload. I work independently and I feel supported during my work. Study is encouraged and where appropriate - funded

Poor Leadership

Management lack knowledge and experience no relevant medical knowledge cancelling patients for statistics patients ignored staff lack training due to disinterest. The only concern is the penalty incurred due to the trust not fulfilling their obligation. The best thing forward is to remove managers and restructure.

Needs a overhaul

Dated employer with none of the benefits you would expect from a modern health service provider. Limited support from senior management and stressful, unhealthy working conditions. Excellent skilled staff but non viable plans to deliver under resourced services.

Awful

Jobs if your face fits and if it doesn't it will be made to be uncomfortable. Made worse by lack of experience of ward staff and unprofessional nature of Senior management and consultants that are totally risk averse and unable to make decisions. Blame culture post incidents and no lessons learned as they're always right. Alienation of families a frequent occurrence and no care at all for client group. Absolutely shocking standard of care, I would not put my animal in Kennels akin to the inpatient unit which is staffed by little Hitlers that think they know it all. God help our vulnerable!!

Very Supportive Environment

A lot of support available working in the health board. Sometimes, understaffing could have been a problem, as can be seen in the NHS in general. Some of the hospitals are in small towns, and life can be boring there. But bigger cities like Cardiff and Newport are nearby. Overall a good place to work in.

pro active workplace

pro active work environment that empowers staff to progress professionally whenever opportunities arise. The team work very well together and all members are focussed on providing high quality care. I enjoy contact with patients and families ensuring they receive high standards of care as required.

Pros

teamwork

Cons

long days

Ok to work for

Far too many overpaid denanding managers and not enough proper workers eg nurses, admin etc. Procurement/purchasing systems leave a lot to be desired.

Fulfilling

Working in the nhs for15 years was challenging but fulfilling. The downside is no social life because of the hours. The management from the top down to supervisors never offer support in any aspect whether it be a family problem or work problem . You are always meant to feel that any problems you have in the workplace are entirely your fault whether it be a disagreement with a nurse . Doctor or supervisor. Management are only concerned when your problem impacts the running of their department. They're favourite saying is, you will be monitored. When you are called to see a manager you are on the defensive before you even meet them . They are narcissistic bullies , power mad, and totally unsupportive, never meet a manager or supervisor without a union rep, porters are considered by managers to be not worthy of support because they want u gone because they can replace a porter with agency staff in an instant, zero hours saves money, makes the manager look competent, keep away from being a porter, but saying all that you can go from porter to manager in a short space of time if you don't rock the boat

Pros

Great individual teams

Cons

Management useless

Great value base

A wonderful example of NHS at it's finest. Great employer who looks after it's employees. Learned how to set up a new service and make a success of it.

Pros

Working with people with learning disabilities

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aneurin Bevan University Health Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement