Ann Summers
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Ann Summers Employee Reviews

Fall from Grace

I worked at Ann Summers for 11 years and initially LOVED my job ❤️ In the years that followed there was a decline in respect for the staff and more of a culture of ‘blame’. The sales, footfall, average spend etc are all YOUR FAULT. Such a shame, it was a brilliant work place with a lot of scope to develop. Now? Not a chance.

Was only fun at the start

The job itself is not to hard and you pick up everything very quickly. The 50% discount is defo a big plus of the job. Unfortunately there are too many negatives that come with it. As a sales assistant you only get paid minim wage and there are also no full time contracts available. Progressing in the company in Scotland is basically impossible unless someone in the management decides to leave, which doesn’t happen very often. Also the company puts on a lot of pressure on you to have high KPI’s but doesn’t bother to pay you more than minimum wage. Lastly you often get treated terribly by customers who think they can speak to you however they want.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

No way to advance

Stressful, underpaid and Dramatic

Ann summers could potentially be a good place to work but even sales assistants have very high expections in their KPIs. Unrealistic expectations for management team and very overwhelming for the rate of pay (£9-10). Overall not worth it and is a very toxic work environment

Pros

50-% discount

Cons

Low pay, drama, unrealistic expectations

Never a boring day!

Great atmosphere and there is always something to do to keep busy with.Supportive management team who make you feel valued.Peak times of year are challenging but always fun!Looked after during pandemic.Regional manager always available and approachable.

Pros

Huge discount, company competitions during peak

Cons

No bonus or commission

Didnt enjoy working here

I didn't feel welcome, when I wasn't well (really unwell) they still expected me in to work in the store room to hang garments up. My first day after shop had shut I was told do go do something instead of twiddling my thumbs.. I wasn't sure what to do as it was my first day and was waiting for the manger to let me know what they do after shop shut. I just didn't feel like I fitted in and really wasn't happy working there. Could be completely different for someone else though so don't just take what I'm saying all in.

Pros

Im not sure

Cons

Im not sure

Amazing Workplace. Friendly and enthusiastic staff

Best place to work EVER!They support you in every way possible. They accepted me whole heartedly and are always so lovely!You can wear want you want so you don't have an uncomfortable uniform to deal with and you get to express yourself completely!

Pros

Friendly and lovely staff!

Cons

None!

Fun Workplace

Competitive comission baised. Fun job great earning potential. Good for work life balance. Very interesting job. Flexible hours. Great discounts. Lots of potential

Bad pay

This company gives really bad pay for the work that you are required to do. Asked to drop all plans of your own for the requirements of work needing you to stay late or moving store moves to dates that were not planned but if you needed an appointment and wanted to change a shift you cannot and must sort the issue yourself. Do not get pregnant basically the maternity pay package is appalling and less than statutory. A lot of months of MAT leave are taking by staff as unpaid. Management have been there for up to 20 years and not willing to progress so there is no opportunity for staff to progress in the company.

Awful, uncaring management and ludicrous expectations

The time I worked here involved poor and uncaring management who had no interest in their staff or ensuring the KPIs were actually doable.The extreme breakdown of products you were expected to sell meant it was practically impossible unless you were full time, as the expectations were not lowered to a sensible level for part time postion. When you are not meeting the targets (despite working hard), the management showed no interest in trying to help you do better, instead just punishing.Lastly, they record sales they did not make in order to get to their targets, which they stand around chatting and not working far too much to actually achieve.Awful company, not worth being treated this way, however desperate you may be for a job. AVOID.

Pros

50% staff discount

Cons

Very poor management, low pay

Great discount

It was a fun place to work (Cardiff store) although management could do a lot better.Customers are always exciting because we have young and very old with a range of needsAt times I became councilor, but loved every minute of it.My reason for leaving was that the money is basic pay and I had enough of retail and wanted more from life than picking nickers up off the floor and arranging bra sizes.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

management

Poor management

The worse work experience ever !! Avoided at all cost . Very poor management, you are not appreciated for hard work ,only if you are friends with the managers !

Pros

50% staff discount

Cons

Long hours, worse management ever !!

Good luck

Management seems to be a massive problem in this company. Lazy, disrespectful and unappreciative. Meanwhile you are expected to cancel your entire life for a company that gives you the bare minimum. Incredibly unrewarding. Staff constantly turnover for a reason. Those that don’t resign are unfairly fired due to favouritism. Very cliquey and toxic environment. The current store manager is an absolute witch of the worst kind. Rude and painfully clueless. Truly. Unless you lick her boots, you won’t last; and neither will White City store. What a soul crushing place to work. Also, incredibly strange customers that assume working in a lingerie brand means you’re an escort. S*xual harassment is a very real problem here. Good luck.No surprise Ann Summers is going bust.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Everything else

Productive and fun workplace

Speaking to a range of different customers daily, working alongside lovely staff members. The management were super helpful and kind every single day

Pros

The lovely staff and customers

Cons

Long shifts

Toxic Environment

This is by far the worst experience I've ever had. Very competitive and toxic workplace. Poor communication and management style. No one seemed to take responsibility for anything and everything was done manually and "our way". Staff turnover is very high especially for the role I was in. I did however made some amazing friends who I still keep in touch with.

Pros

Free onsite parking

Technical development

Experience full SDLC Paypal implementation Middle ware skills ODI,Mulesoft and SOA Oracle EBS development working on existing projects Opportunity to team lead for Pay pal implementation

Fun

It's quite honestly the best place I've worked in, the people that work there are amazing, they know how to have a laugh with each other, and with the customers too. There's always something fun to do and it's kind of like having a second family.

Store manager

I enjoyed working for Ann summers, I enjoyed the daily tasks and meeting daily targets. I enjoyed training new starters and conducting interviews. I enjoyed working in other branches so that I could get the feel of the customer in that area.

Typical shift- at start of shift you get given figures needed for that day, also get given any personal targets. Manager is firm but fair. In first 6 month you have to learn about the products were selling and complete tasks, but this is done in a fun way.

Wouldnt reccomend

Only paid commission and need to find your own people to sell products to, so if you cant find people who are interested in your sales and want to buy then you don't earn any benefits.

Company is outdated.

Company in many ways is outdated and in need of new life. Sytems, stores and customer approach all need a re-work and new life breathing into them. Take the right type of personality for this job as you have to deal with a varity of different senerios that dont occur in normal retail.

Fun,Empowering and inclusive teams. Fast progression paths

Best environment to work! Team is diverse, inclusive and supportive. No matter age or experience the team welcome train and involve you in everything from store tasks to after work events. eg: drinks, meals or local events that think would interest each other (we have a team form 19-50+). Management are amazing and understanding if communicate with them. With incredible chances to move up, never known a company so easy to be trained and progress up the ladder. The job itself is retail so move fast and effectively make sure to stay on top or tidying and tasks while ensuring customers are seen and spoken to, leaving them feeling welcomed and confident. Its harder then sounds when in a busy rush and have 'needy' customers but the team supports each other and creates great atmosphere to work in. Like any day its the customers that impact the job, you face amazing ones that make your day with stories questions and the experience they have and ones that question your hope in human the race (these come in all ages from teens who think its funny to try and come into the 18+ section to only laugh to toys, to adults who forget their basic manners and even go out their way to show you why retail workers hate 'Karen' customers). Pay is standard not the best but a small con when weighed up against the staff discount and work environment. Id rather have a little less each month but have a team and job I love and look forward to going to then the dread of getting out of bed for an extra couple of quid. The job and team will bring your confidence and empower you personally and professionally.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ann Summers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement