ao.com
Happiness score is 37 out of 100

ao.com Employee Reviews

United Kingdom347 reviews

Not bad but you work hard

Fast paced heavy work but you should really expect that I guessDifficult to progressManagement are ok but sometimes aggressive when things not going wellCustomers are demanding obviously

long hours terrible pay

do not work for them work you like you have no life, and are not bothered bout your out side work life just expect you to work 18 hour days for minimum wage MINIMUM WAGE = MINIMUM EFFORT

Insights into ao.com

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

4 on 4 off best part of the job

Long hard exhausting days. no support or team work from anyone. nobody has your back if any problems occure. expect you to do more work once your run is complete. useles selfemployed drivers who dont want to do any work or do the bare minimum which makes your days longer.

Great place to work but needs to keep up with the times

AO is a very fast paced company that cares about customers first. This sometimes means demands placed on employees but that's life. Things change all the time so as long as you accept that its a good thing it's not a problem.

Pros

Great people and culture

Cons

expected to work past your hours

Fast paced yet relaxed atmosphere

Relaxed atmosphere throughout the company, a company where training and promotion are encouraged to all employees as well as apprenticeship schemes and bonus schemes.

Excellent progression

I started of as a core driver than become a trainer and advanced to becoming an engineer .The company is fare , in progression and respectful to all cultures gives merit to great work ethic to any individual who shows this and is willing to progress .the opertunity is there with all the in house training given .Great and very reasonably priced .Always put the customers first .

Pros

Yes on progression

Cons

No much different to other jobs

Productive and Great Company to work for

For anyone looking to start out in the industry like myself, AO is fantastic company to work for. As a trainee gas engineer you touch base on carpentry, electrics and gas. The management and colleagues are great people to work with and are there to support you with anything you need. As I had the determination, AO enabled me to increase my skill set and coming from a sales customer background, I felt AO was a fantastic fit for me installing appliances for customers. AO have helped me grow to be the engineer I hoped to be and see a bright future for myself at AO long term. I like what AO stand for and have a great time at work, as well as enjoying the people I work with. I thoroughly enjoy my job and truly greatful for the opportunity to work with great individuals from management, engineers, office employees to head office. I have learned so much and continue to do so and my aim is to be one of the top engineers at AO long term.

Great place to work with great opportunities

Working at AO hs provided me with the opportunity to learn lots of new skills amd develop as a Gas engineer. The management team are great and always on hand to support and advise you to help you on and off the job. Lots of opportunities to develop within the company and move up within the business. best of all are the shifts 4 on 4 off gives a great work life balance.

Pros

4 on 4 off, great management team, lots of support from other gas engineers

Great People, Poor decision making

The people here are great however all are pushed to the limits with unachievable work loads / targetsThe business is going through a hard time at present, lots of people are leaving and not being replaced but management still expects the same work to be produced with drastically less people

Pros

Subsidised starbucks

Cons

Ridiculous work load expectations

Great company with great people and lots of ways to progress in the company

Working for this company has lots of benefits for yourself and your family. An average day has a relaxed feel but still with targets to reach. The management and team mates are always supportive in everyway, we help each other to reach the company's targets on a daily basis. Everyday can be different, so it never really gets repetitive. Overall it is an enjoyable place to work with great opportunity's.

Pros

The team you work with.

Cons

Can be long day's sometimes

Work life balance is great

You’ll get out of this job exactly what you put in to it. Good career progression potential and an awesome work life balance with employees working 4 on 4 off work patterns.

Perfect place to work if you love to see around

Perfect 4-on 4–off shift pattern, I don’t really have to use my holiday, 4 days off is enough for short break.It’s interesting we don’t stick on one place to work, we travel different locations everyday.Its really good chances to see around while on work. ao have experience and knowledgeable technical support and trainers if you stuck.I loving the job at ao .

I'm Glad I started!

I have work for AO for 5 and a half years now and have never looked back, work to life ratio is great with the 4 on 4 off rota with the chance of overtime when you like. Enjoy the challenge of getting the work done as safely as possible and the fact that you never know what you are going to come up against.

Pros

4 on 4 off rota

Great for work/life balance

Been with ao for 8 years now.. Come from being a driver to gas engineer and always enjoyed my job... Love the 4 on 4 off shifts.. With your holidays you only working about 5 month out of a year.. Plenty overtime as well and if you have your own gas card you can make extra work on your days off.. Can be long days and you work weekends but hasn't bothered me... Overall its a good place to work and there's definitely worse jobs out there for the sake or less money

Pros

Shift patterns.. Being out on the road

Cons

Can be long days

Good job

Great for an engineer who is new to the industry Great training and and long term prospects Love the 4 on 4 off shift patternLove that every day is different

Great work / life balance

Really glad I joined - I can see a route through to having a long term career. The job is really fast paced but having 4 days off gives me the freedom to spend time doing what I want - 1/2 a year off isn't bad! If you are prepared to work hard and enjoy customer service then its a winner

Welcoming workplace

I started with AO 3years ago, and have enjoyed every minute of my time. The depot team are knowledgeable and helpful, and have always been there to help when needed. The work is varied from delivering a vacuum cleaner to a large American fridge into a flat, and all jobs have their challenges. If you like problem solving, working on your own steam, and deciding which days you want to work this is the job for you. I have seen my wages boosted with the introduction of the 5 star programme which rewards you for getting positive feedback from your daily customers, which I have seen as free money, as I was always one of the top crews in site. The flexibility of the role to me is the thing I love most, as i have a family so can be at my daughters sports day or my son's school football match, if you are not afraid of hard work and want a job that is rewarding, this is definitely a destination you should consider.

Pros

Flexibility

Great place to work!

I work the night shift loading vans, we have a great laugh and all work hard to ensure we get the job done.. overtime is available when you want it.Job is hard as you are moving washing machines and fridge freezers but you soon get used to it and it keep us all fit. I would recommend this as a good please to work

Pros

Teamwork, good pay

Cons

Good

Good environment, everyone is friendly & it's clear they're working on building up the culture. Good support system from management as well. Overall would recommend.

Good shift patterns, benefits and opportunities

Driving for a living I have worked at a few places and everyone preaches about being inclusive, treating employees and contractors well, we all know they dont but at AO they actually do. Constantly reviewing best practice for customers and employees, excellent development opportunities from apprenticeships to internal training and development. Early starts and hard work delivering appliances especially when there are stairs to enter but the work life balance the shift pattern gives me more than makes up for it in my book. No plans to go anywhere and loving the opportunity to train new crews that join the ranks!

AO is a great plalce to work

AO is a great place to work, the office in Bolton has a fun atmosphere where everyone is always smiling. Lots of great benefits to being in the office and the people are lovely. There is the opportunity of hybrid working & flexible hours, which gives an amazing work-life balance. The management listen to surveys that are put out to all employees and make active improvements across the board. Overall, I would recommend AO :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ao.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement