Apex Hotels

Apex Hotels Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews

hotelfreelunchtrainingstaffshiftteamlong

Not fun didn’t enjoy

The staff was not the best not very welcoming I personally didn’t have any experience in housekeeping it was my first time and when it came to feedback they was very harsh and expected me to get it right first time as the was a “5 star hotel so everything must be perfect” even though I had no experience and it was my first time in this field of work

Good company to work for

It’s not the job it’s the people if your get along with the people your work life is so much easier. I met a great bunch of people working here and some of them are now my friends and not just colleagues

Pros

Free lunch, nights out

Cons

Weekends work

Insights into Apex Hotels

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Horrible and untrustworthy place to work

Apex is an awful, backstabbing company. I saw it happen to many others and then it happened to me. The managers at Apex give no support, care or respect to their staff or their guests for that matter. DO NOT WORK HERE. You would be better off anywhere else.

Liked the job

Loved my job but same about the housekeeping manager at the time couldnt do anything right no phrase just negative comments even though you worked very hard didnt make any difference

Fast paced and dramatic

There was always drama whilst I was working for Apex, you couldn’t go one day without someone slagging another person off. Even management mocked the people below them in private and sometimes infront of other colleges. Management really doesn’t care if you are able to work or not, even if you’re sick you’re told to try and come in & when you do you’re told you aren’t allowed to leave until your work load was done, especially in the winters where cold & flu is floating around everywhere . Some colleges were awesome and actually tried to come and help you , but saying that if you had finished your work load faster you were always expected to go and help other people even if you weren’t able to, but never got help if you were struggling. I was left to try and help multiple people as management just sat in the office in their phones , laughing and eating . It wasn’t a fair workplace at all. If someone complained about management, whoever was in charge of them would just push it under the carpet for their sakes and never listened to us.

Not a good place to work

The management doesn’t support you. There is a lack of Communication. Your expected to stay until all rooms have been cleaned bearing in mind you get up to 14-18 rooms a day and they are absolute huge rooms. Assistant head housekeeper sometimes did not speak to her staff

Another victim of COVID19

Apex used to be a good hotel chain. people from other hotels were impressed with the good conditions. But now the chain is no better than other hotels - short of staff, the long hours became even longer,no more tea breaks or lunches worth eating etc.The new manager caused many veterans to leave, and didn't even last much on the job...

Pros

Many people were nice

Cons

Lack of support, staff, materials. You have to work in three different places every day

Horrible managers and place to work

Horrible place to work, the managers couldn’t give a s**t about your problems and palm you off to one another or just promise you things will get sorted but never do, if you plan on having a baby while working here good luck trying to get paternity pay out them is like trying to draw blood from a stone this is from a “family values company”, certain members of hr get snappy with you when you chase them up about things you’ve waited up to 3 weeks to hear back from, cliques are also a big thing in here more like a zoo than a workplace with all the snakes about, charge staff for parking also in the middle of town, it’s a whole it’s not how good you are at job it’s who you blow hierarchy also, my summary is if you have any self respect for yourself or just want what you should be entitled to DO NOT WORK HERE YOU WILL REGRET IT AFTER THE “HONEYMOON” PERIOD

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Horrible managers Useless at everything

Expects too much from people

Very poor management at the laundry. Doesn't care about staff at all as long as the orders are out. There's no training just thrown on a machine and expected to get on with it. Rotas all over the place. Your working 9 days in a row sometimes while manager gets every weekend off. No free lunches as the ad says. That's for hotels only. Most of the benefits are for hotel staff and doesn't really apply to the laundry. Sometimes work with as little as 4-5 in the unit and still no help from management.

Pros

Pays ok Staff are good

Cons

Bad management. No support. Hardly any weekends off.

Fun and engaging

Had a great time working there but ended to lack of management. Would highly recommend for anyone as you can move around jobs within the hotel. Good first and last job

Pros

Free meals and benefits

Cons

Long hours and rude mangers

Nothing but great things to say!

I have really enjoyed my time at Apex so far - The team are great to work with, the training is in depth and progression is a priority. Management are extremely switched on and speak to you like a human, rather than 'just an employee'. A great company to work for if you are serious about your career.

Pros

Free Lunches, Work From Home, Generous Annual Leave

Terrible management literally run screaming from this place

For the most part every member of the team is amazing to work with, but the managers are awful, you’re berated for staying late to finish work that wasn’t done by the previous shift, never appreciated for going the extra mile especially if you’re not one of the ‘favourites’ multiple people have broken into tears on shift because of the managers and how they specifically target certain people

Great career move

Great career, amazing staff and amazing company who definitely look after their employees, only left as unfortunately it was to much travelling for myself and costing to much, would definitely recommend the company. Can see the company going further.

Pros

Lunch on site, 4 on 4 off rota

Cons

12 hour shifts

Stressful and nasty environment

The work load is way too heavy. Management doesn't understand the needs that team members have to complete their assigned rooms on schedule. A lot of stressful overtime paid at normal rate, bad environment due to tensions in the team and poor management. Conflicting advice and little real training, not thorough, thrown straight into the intense work. Standard of cleaning is also poor as there is no time to clean properly if you don't want to get out late and have over responsabilities to tend to after the work day.

Pros

Free lunches but little variety and rotation

Cons

Very long hours. Little training. Poor management and team dynamics.

Stressful and tiring work.

Housekeeping was very stressful and tiring which was to be expected. You have to be very fit to do this job and it is incredibly fast paced with long hours and a short lunch break. The housekeeping team were considerate when it came to training however their personalities were very rude. They spent a lot of the time complaining about other members of staff which overall made working unpleasant. The training process was good and HR were lovely.

Pros

Free lunches, a lovely hotel, friendly management

Cons

Long hours, rude colleagues, tiring.

Not a good place to work

Had an awful experience at apex, was such a bad environment to be in daily. Everyone whom had higher job Rolls than you treat you like an idiot and it’s almost a bullying environment. I DO NOT recommend getting into house keeping at all.

Pros

Free lunches. Lovely people to work with whom were the same level as you.

Cons

Such a lonely job, cleaning rooms all by yourself. Everyday felt the same.

10 years service

I worked at Apex Grassmarket & Apex Waterloo. I worked on reception. I had a fantastic 10 years with the company. Great training and career oppertunities, lots and lots of lovely people to work with, fast-pace reception with a great city vibe. Free (great quality) uniform & meals on duty.

Pros

Competitive wage

Enjoyed my job, however, no promotion aspects at all down the line.

I enjoyed serving people and getting to know them. It was always nice to see some regulars come back and remember you as well.With that said, preferential treatment is a huge problem, as well as micro-managing everything everyone does. People would always disappear in the back office too, especially when it was busy.There was no room for honest communication, as no one would own up to their mistakes. Drama had become daily after a while, which was really wearing you down mentally and emotionally.Some chefs are also VERY rude as well, this should not be a thing and I do not know why they get away with it.Promises of training were never followed through either. There is only that tedious Flow training going on.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Preferential treatment, empty promises, needless drama, no honest communication, minimum wage is honestly not enough for all of this

No opportunity for promotion

Was turned down for interviews for supervisor positions and promises of training were never followed through. By the end of my time there I felt more like a pawn or number to this corporate machine than I had anywhere else despite putting in plenty of unpaid hours and coming in to cover sick coworkers, none of your efforts will be rewarded.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Poor pay, bad management, poor culture

Avoid by any cost

I have been working for large and small companies that are private own, or a part of big company. I have been in this place for a year and half, and that was the worst experience in my life. From top to the bottom, this place is rotten. I never write review about ex employer, but I feel this is my duty to make sure others are aware of this so called company. You have no support from management, no training, basically you will be on your own. Pay is low and the expectation are far to high.

Pros

non

Cons

management, atmosphere, work structure, everything

Better stay at home

Poor quality hotel considering it is 4*. Poor management, they are just worried about getting their bonus ar the end of the year instead of keeping the premises well. Meals for staff horrible 90% of the time and poor quality. get used to hear promises that will never be carried forward. Poor team work. Still know people who works there and it just got worse apparently

Pros

Free lunches but disgusting

Cons

Workplace, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Apex Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Apex Hotels with

Learn about Apex Hotels in popular locations

• Apex Hotels
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?