ASDA

Birmingham148 reviews

Found 148 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,671 reviews
colleaguediscountcheckoutwhilstrotashoppingcanteenshelf

Decent Job , poor management

Decent job however managers are constantly changing things in way tasks are set out and often don’t provide great staff treatment, which makes working here a lot more difficult than it should be.

Overworked and Unsustainable

Running the largest team within the store. Large unpredictable workload with tight deadlines. Not enough manpower (pickers or drivers) most days to manage the workload meaning you are hands on all day covering the shortfall. Mismanaged previously making the task to turn it around unfathomable. Overworked and unsustainable.

Insights into ASDA

Based on 3,254 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Delivery driver, it was shambles.

Pay was not the greatest, and work load gets alot towards the colder periods or the year. Job is unsafe, as you can potentially get robbed like I did whilst on the job. Managers were a bit bias on who gets heavier loads. Equipment that's necessary to carry out deliveries wasn't always given, so you'd have to go up 10 story apartments with no trolley just pure back strength. However, managers were nice and flexible.

Pros

Could listen to music on the job, not too strict

Cons

Physical, and dirty unclean vans

Not great

The older staff tend to be quite entitled and rude however some are okay. There’s no career progression. The pay is okay and the working hours are okay though.

Awful do not work there!

Management don't care about you, they keep staff in that they've sacked. Overworked with no appreciation. You get left on your own when people go on holiday or are off sick. They keep in staff that can't be bothered to do any work, avoid

Pros

Above minimum wage pay

Cons

Overworked, management, basically everything

Unsupported by management

Worked for Asda for nearly 3 years, very low staff morale. Management undermine & don’t value hard working employees. Expect you to be willing to work in every section of the store

Under appreciated, under paid and over worked

Awful place to work, no moral within colleagues.Excepted to be working ridiculous hours with no thanks or work life balance.Progression readily available due to fast turn of management.I do not recommend a senior management role within the company

Relaxed and good management

Management were really good to me and helped me a lot with my sickness. I had pretty good shifts and a great work-life balance, I wasn't stressed working here at all. I would recommend working here.

overall awful place to work

Very little communication between managers and workers.very little organisation, took a month for me to get any log ins, a uniform. Often found out new deals, offers and new discounts ect through customers.not enough time for a break. Only get 30 mins after an 8 hr shift so not enough time to go and get something to eat if you've not brought anything. only get your discount after working there for 3 months.most of the staff are friendly nut most are rude and don't do their jobs, especially the runners on shift when you need a price. Most of management are rude too.overly strict on absences. Was told I ould possibly be fired if i had one more sick day, when I only had one due to me not working the day after my sickness.not trained on policies or not told them in full detail.

Avoid at all cost

Management are rude and unhelpful, you are expected to do everyone's job with no help or support. Put pressure on you to do work quicker, watched constantly. Staff moral is non existent. If you want to be off sick with stress, work for Asda.

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Not appreciated

Retail is retail

Managers know nothing ! Don’t know your role, your hours not even your name sometimes ! You are left to do your job with your colleagues as best as you can hoping there are no problems because if there are the manager won’t know what to do !

Stressful and Unfulfilling

8 Hours night shift. They don't provide enough equipment for you to do your job but still expect everything to be done on time. holidays are never accepted (the excuse is always they dont have enough people in during the time you want off) as though it is your fault they haven't hired enough people.

If you have no life, take on night shift.

Night shift is pretty easy going but can get tiring real quick. Unloading aload of deliveries into separate trollies then taking them to the correst aisle and doing it repeatedly until every cage/pallet is empty, is pretty repetitive and boring to say the least. Sure, the pay is good so it is kinda worth it, but when you have a management that is too tight to take on more staff to be able to make the job that little less stressful, is not worth it. My team and I were assigned to H&B and there is a total of 4 whole aisles to fill and we only had max 3 people every night to do all those aisles before the shop opens. It is hard work and is stressful and the management well, where I worked, isnt the best. But, I would say try it out, get the experience and move on.

Do not pay wages correctly!

The pro to working at asda is that they are fairly flexible and can and the hours are good and my colleagues were amazing however, I feel like these are the ONLY pros to working at asda. The management team are awful for such a big company, they are extremely unorganised, rude and dot. Know what they are doing half the time. My management team "lost" my clock in card after taking it off me to fix as it wasn't working for them to then claim that it was me that had lost it. They then said I had no proof of working and claimed I had only done 45 hours work which was a complete lie, luckily I wrote down atleast 3 weeks of the shifts I had done and got managers and section leaders to sign and took photos of this however I still did not get paid for the week I didn't have proof of because they claimed I didn't work these hours, I also didn't get paid when I was supposed to and then didn't get paid until a month after then having been paid £500 short. Rude management, they don't tell you nothing when starting I got help off fellow colleagues who were amazing.

Fun and productive

I went to asda to help the customers back their bags to raise money for a charity and I used my team working skills and communication skills to help them

Pros

Friendly

decent entry job

good place to work but management could be better. The job is relatively straightforward and most people were very nice in my section. Would recommend as an entry job.

it’s ok

It’s okay. Easy job,very friendly colleagues , good for your first job. Unfortunately it's only part time job but if you need more hours they always have some offer time. You always have opportunity to work in different section to get more skill.

Expect too much for very little

Not enough staff, managers expect too much and the pay doesn’t make it worthwhile. Great for kids as they pay adult rate. Home shopping always struggling as the staff are treated terrible.

Previous night manager, unrealistic targets, stressful

Be prepared to work silly hours as a night manager for silly money. No work life balance, higher management don't care. If you do not produce a good store you get shouted at even though you have had sickies or staff not turn up. There training scheme, What training scheme? There's absolutely none at all....still living in the past. Processes are awful. No support what so ever you are thrown in the deep end on your own. I don't think the people sitting in the office at head office have a clue when it comes to hours and planning colleagues hours and how long it actually takes a colleague to do the actual task set...unrealistic

Pros

Working with the staff as they were friendly people

Cons

Long hours, stressful, mentally and physically draining

Not a bad place to work

Not a bad Place to work but it can be very busy sometimes and some roles are very hard working. If you are a man be prepare to learn hard working in the new roles.

Fun and boring

It can be fun and boring even at night and its even hard work sometimes when you have customer coming at you alll the time asking this and that. But all in all it’s a good place to work.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASDA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement