Aspens Charities
View all Aspens Charities reviews

Aspens Charities

Aspens Charities Employee Review

Undergoing change

I chair this charity so I am not there on a daily basis but I believe the management and front line staff to be a dedicated and committed cohort of people all passionate about the cause

Pros

flexible

Cons

a charity so salaries are not as competitive as in the corporate sector

3.0Job security/advancement

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback and for your comments on the management and frontline staff who continue to be dedicated and passionate about helping those who we support to achieve their potential.

Same location

Unequal staff treatment and unfair culture

All staff to be treated equally whether black or white. Managers should be well inducted and supported. There should be open and fair culture. Very slow with following processes and outcomes

Pros

Good with dissemination of information

Cons

Unfair treatment and lack of support to managers

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I see that you are a current employee and I would be very keen to have a conversation with you about what you feel can be improved in terms of support for managers. At Aspens, we are absolutely committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. Jo Gouldthorpe, Head of Human Resources

Good charity, lovely people and its only getting better

I've been working at Aspens for nearly 2 years and lots has happened and changed in those two years but it all for the better.There is still some way to go I think as some of these changes although they make life better for the people I care for they sometimes make the job harder (especially when short staffed at the weekends)! This has meant some people have left creating extra stress in working short staffed but I know new people are starting all the time and these people are really nice and want to help.The pay isn't great but I've worked in Supported Living for 10 years and it never has - it's always been about making the people I help happier and that is a reward in and of itseld.Also Aspens offers discounts in their charity shops which I use for my littleun when we go shopping to get toys and books in the charity shops which is a nice perk.Overall besides the stresses of typical care work, which isn't unique to Aspens, it is a good place to work. The people are friendly and management are usually very supportive when they aren't too busy - but again its not anyting new to care. I've worked in much worse places and had to leave after a few weeks / months because those care homes don't know what they are on about - Aspens know what to do and they are doing it (it's just taking a little time to get there)

Pros

Discounts in charity shops, flexible hours, friendly team

Cons

Stresses from being short staffed and busy managers

18 October 2021
Thank you for your review. Yes, we have introduced a number of positive changes at Aspens over the last few years, all putting the care of the people we support at the heart of everything we do, while supporting our staff. We continue to be ambitious yet realistic in our plans for the future.We know that as a charity within the social care sector, we are not alone in having vacancies within the organisation and recruitment is a key focus for us at Aspens. We are making progress in filling our vacancies and will continue to prioritise that in order to relieve the pressure our existing employees are under as a result.

a great place to work with big plans for the future

I have worked at Aspens for 5 years and have very much enjoyed the experience, extremely rewarding with great opportunities to progress for those willing to put the effort in. I started as a support worker and worked my way up the ladder to senior and then service manager and I'm now working in the properties team as a project manager, so although you may come in as a support worker there are many avenues to pursue. Very friendly staff and an exec team who have great ideas and big plans for the future to help support and empower some of the most vulnerable people in our communities. We have had some tough times during the pandemic but credit to the support staff and management for having such low number of covid cases during this time.

Pros

rewarding, helping some of the most vulnerable to live as full a life as possible.

15 October 2021
Thank you very much for your review. A great example of the career progression opportunities within Aspens. We certainly do have big plans for the future and look forward to engaging all our staff (current and future) in that journey, as well as the wonderful people we support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspens Charities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement
  • Aspens Charities
  • Undergoing change
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?