Aspens Charities

Aspens Charities Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Good charity, lovely people and its only getting better

I've been working at Aspens for nearly 2 years and lots has happened and changed in those two years but it all for the better.There is still some way to go I think as some of these changes although they make life better for the people I care for they sometimes make the job harder (especially when short staffed at the weekends)! This has meant some people have left creating extra stress in working short staffed but I know new people are starting all the time and these people are really nice and want to help.The pay isn't great but I've worked in Supported Living for 10 years and it never has - it's always been about making the people I help happier and that is a reward in and of itseld.Also Aspens offers discounts in their charity shops which I use for my littleun when we go shopping to get toys and books in the charity shops which is a nice perk.Overall besides the stresses of typical care work, which isn't unique to Aspens, it is a good place to work. The people are friendly and management are usually very supportive when they aren't too busy - but again its not anyting new to care. I've worked in much worse places and had to leave after a few weeks / months because those care homes don't know what they are on about - Aspens know what to do and they are doing it (it's just taking a little time to get there)

Pros

Discounts in charity shops, flexible hours, friendly team

Cons

Stresses from being short staffed and busy managers

18 October 2021
Thank you for your review. Yes, we have introduced a number of positive changes at Aspens over the last few years, all putting the care of the people we support at the heart of everything we do, while supporting our staff. We continue to be ambitious yet realistic in our plans for the future.We know that as a charity within the social care sector, we are not alone in having vacancies within the organisation and recruitment is a key focus for us at Aspens. We are making progress in filling our vacancies and will continue to prioritise that in order to relieve the pressure our existing employees are under as a result.

A great place to work!

Aspens really is a great place to work. The care for the people supported here shows through every day and I'm lucky to work with some very enthusiastic and caring colleagues who go above and beyond. I find the management supportive and empowering. It's a very flat structure so I feel I can talk to anyone, regardless of their role. I enjoy the monthly charity wide calls which provide updates on what's happening and emails provide more detail. Really pleased I joined Aspens!

Pros

Caring and supportive colleagues

24 September 2021
Thank you for your review. The care and wellbeing of the people we support and our staff is so very important to us and it's great to read that you feel updated and supported by your manager and the wider Charity.

Worse company you can ever work for !

Very disappointed with the Management - HR , everyone is extremely rude no help whatsoever. Service users have no rights in that place , they only do what is suitable for the management or staff, service users are not coming first at all ! During pandemic no one ask how they are , if they have what to eat or not , no one cared , there was weeks where they didn’t have money to buy milk and bread … staff always work so hard in fact they overworked , always stressed as is shortage of staff .Management don’t even want to hear when you have something to say related to work . They have their favourites…. Always negativity and gossips

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hrs, no gratitude, rude

22 September 2021
I am sorry that that has been your experience at Aspens. The care of the people we support is extremely important to us and across the Charity, we have fantastic teams of support workers who truly make a positive difference in the lives of the individuals we support. We are working hard on filling the vacancies we have within Aspens. Our managers are supported and empowered to manage their teams and genuinely do want to know if something can be improved within their services.

Do not work for this company

Very unfair, management and HR only care about money. Workers are stressed and have no help. All over worked whilst HR stick there noses in things they have absolutely no clue about as they don’t know the service users or their staff. Any incidents are pinned on staff. HR are all clicky and friends. Concerns are raised but brushed under the carpet. Terrible company. Your job is never stable here.

Pros

Relaxed

Cons

Unfair treatment, unsupported, underpayed

22 September 2021
We are working hard to fill the vacancies within Aspens as we are fully aware of the impact of this issue on our existing staffing teams. Aspens offers great career opportunities as you can see from the staff stories on our website. Any concerns raised are fully investigated and appropriate action taken.

Current support worker

Had to deal with very poor staffing levels with no support. Long hours followed by night shifts as no staff back up. Head office team is very clicky. The team really care shame about the management.

Pros

The support workers really care And do a good job

Cons

Poor staffing, poor management.

22 September 2021
Thank you for your comments. Our support workers (and other staff) really do a great job. We are working hard to fill our vacancies as we know that this is an issue for some of our services. We care about the wellbeing of all our staff, managers and support workers alike, and are constantly reviewing how we can support them further.

One of the best places I have ever worked

Aspens is a really caring environment and the staff are more like family then collegues. You get to meet some great people from all walks of life. And they give you so many opportunities to progress with plenty of training. They recognise those who work hard and go above and beyond.

Pros

You can make great friends

Cons

Work/home balance

13 April 2021
Thank you very much for your comments. Great to hear that the training and progression opportunities at Aspens are recognised and valued. We're also working hard to offer more flexibility in our shifts to aid with a better work/life balance.

Very poor company to work for

Do not work for this company, the upper management team are useless, and up themselves. They only care about money, wages are terrible for what you go through. Workers are treated differently especially if a support worker is family of one of the managers. Do yourself a favour go elsewhere

Pros

Easy laid back job on the front line

Cons

Bad managenent, lack of support and communiction, no care at all

9 February 2021
We are very keen to gather feedback from our staff regarding what is working and what isn't. At Aspens, we encourage any staff member to speak up if they aren't happy with how things are working and are fortunate to employ so many people at all levels who look after our service users so well.

laid back job. Easy to get into

The service users do not come first . The head office staff are clicky and fake .lots going on behind the scenes.Staff are stressed ...............................................................................

Pros

Desperately seeking staff so easy to get staff .

Cons

Minimum wage . Useless training.

1 February 2021
I am sorry that you found your experience of working at Aspens unsatisfactory. We are working very hard to support staff, particularly during the pandemic and have introduced a number of wellbeing initiatives. Our training provision is thorough and frequently reviewed to ensure it meets the needs of staff and service users.

Things are much better

I’ve worked for Aspens for over 5 years now and there has been many cheers changes over that time. In recent times those changes are much better for staff and service users

Pros

Being listened too, career, plenty of extra hours if you want them

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback and comments. I appreciate your time taken to write this review and I am pleased that you have felt the changes to be better for staff and service users.

I love my job

I really do love my job, I get great satisfaction out of helping others. I have a great line manager who trusts me to get the job done without looking over my shoulder. I have fantastic colleagues and we all get on.

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback and comments. I am glad that you find your job satisfying and enjoy it so much. It's great to hear!

Amazing place to work

Aspens is a wonderful place to work. The service users are brilliant and no day is ever the same. The staff are supportive, creative, caring and totally inspiring. The management support is amazing and there are opportunities for progression. I would recommend joining Aspens to everyone!

11 January 2021
Thank you for sharing this feedback, it's great to read! Aspens works hard to make sure that its employees have opportunities to progress and develop and it's lovely to read that you have found the staff to be supportive.

Lovely People to care for & supportive team

I love my job but like many similar jobs in social care it would be great to be paid more money. Our managers are very supportive, and do their best to take my home life into account.

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you have found the managers to be supportive and open to flexible ways of working, in order to take home life and other commitments into account.

Great people but poor management

Service users great to work with the building is very small and management was poor. However, great time with the service users however could be more person centred.

Pros

service users

Cons

management

A beautiful place to work.

Working for Aspens Charities is great. The site is idyllic, with beautiful views and a woodland walk that is amazing in all seasons. The residents that live on site at Pembury are all incredible. They teach you a lot more than you could ever teach them, and they'll make you smile everyday. The days are never the same - one day, you might support someone to day services on site, creating something beautiful or delicious, the next day, you might be at the theater, enjoying a concert, or watching the planes overhead at Headcorn. Staff support is lacking, as is a clear structure of who to report things to. Staff often get called in on their days off, due to shortages or sickness, and in addition to your normal hours, this is a lot.

Pros

Beautiful environment, varied days.

Cons

Poor staff support, long hours, often get called in when off

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the surroundings which are indeed beautiful and the experience of supporting the residents at Pembury in many varied ways.Your comments on staff support and reporting issues are useful and if this is still the situation, then we will take steps to resolve it.

Not the most progressive company

Aspens is not a good company to work for. The frontline staff are very good and care a lot but this is not reflected in the attitudes of upper management.

Pros

Very Rewarding Job

Cons

Unsocial hours and poor management

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. It is clear that our frontline and indeed all our employees care greatly about what they do and we are keen to regularly gather feedback on how this is reflected within all levels of management.

Lovely Work Place but compensation is low

+Aspen was a great place to work at. +Training was provided, staff and management were friendly and approachable. +Work is rewarding and Service Users are great fun to be with. - Salary was low

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed working for us. We constantly review salary levels to ensure that they remain competitive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspens Charities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement