Aspens Charities

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

a great place to work with big plans for the future

Featured review

Aspens Charities selected this as a representative review
I have worked at Aspens for 5 years and have very much enjoyed the experience, extremely rewarding with great opportunities to progress for those willing to put the effort in. I started as a support worker and worked my way up the ladder to senior and then service manager and I'm now working in the properties team as a project manager, so although you may come in as a support worker there are many avenues to pursue. Very friendly staff and an exec team who have great ideas and big plans for the future to help support and empower some of the most vulnerable people in our communities. We have had some tough times during the pandemic but credit to the support staff and management for having such low number of covid cases during this time.

Pros

rewarding, helping some of the most vulnerable to live as full a life as possible.

15 October 2021
Thank you very much for your review. A great example of the career progression opportunities within Aspens. We certainly do have big plans for the future and look forward to engaging all our staff (current and future) in that journey, as well as the wonderful people we support.

Learnt a lot of things and still going to learn more

Working at the organization has been fantastic and awesome with brilliant managements and easy culture.Excellent, helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable carers with a can-do attitude. Good support from the manager (managed service). With a lot of job roles and opportunities with benefits going on in the organization. With Hybrid working for office-based roles, Great colleagues,Employee Assistance Programs, Opportunity to really make a difference to people's lives

Good charity, lovely people and its only getting better

I've been working at Aspens for nearly 2 years and lots has happened and changed in those two years but it all for the better.There is still some way to go I think as some of these changes although they make life better for the people I care for they sometimes make the job harder (especially when short staffed at the weekends)! This has meant some people have left creating extra stress in working short staffed but I know new people are starting all the time and these people are really nice and want to help.The pay isn't great but I've worked in Supported Living for 10 years and it never has - it's always been about making the people I help happier and that is a reward in and of itseld.Also Aspens offers discounts in their charity shops which I use for my littleun when we go shopping to get toys and books in the charity shops which is a nice perk.Overall besides the stresses of typical care work, which isn't unique to Aspens, it is a good place to work. The people are friendly and management are usually very supportive when they aren't too busy - but again its not anyting new to care. I've worked in much worse places and had to leave after a few weeks / months because those care homes don't know what they are on about - Aspens know what to do and they are doing it (it's just taking a little time to get there)

Pros

Discounts in charity shops, flexible hours, friendly team

Cons

Stresses from being short staffed and busy managers

18 October 2021
Thank you for your review. Yes, we have introduced a number of positive changes at Aspens over the last few years, all putting the care of the people we support at the heart of everything we do, while supporting our staff. We continue to be ambitious yet realistic in our plans for the future.We know that as a charity within the social care sector, we are not alone in having vacancies within the organisation and recruitment is a key focus for us at Aspens. We are making progress in filling our vacancies and will continue to prioritise that in order to relieve the pressure our existing employees are under as a result.

A great place to work!

Aspens really is a great place to work. The care for the people supported here shows through every day and I'm lucky to work with some very enthusiastic and caring colleagues who go above and beyond. I find the management supportive and empowering. It's a very flat structure so I feel I can talk to anyone, regardless of their role. I enjoy the monthly charity wide calls which provide updates on what's happening and emails provide more detail. Really pleased I joined Aspens!

Pros

Caring and supportive colleagues

24 September 2021
Thank you for your review. The care and wellbeing of the people we support and our staff is so very important to us and it's great to read that you feel updated and supported by your manager and the wider Charity.

Worse company you can ever work for !

Very disappointed with the Management - HR , everyone is extremely rude no help whatsoever. Service users have no rights in that place , they only do what is suitable for the management or staff, service users are not coming first at all ! During pandemic no one ask how they are , if they have what to eat or not , no one cared , there was weeks where they didn’t have money to buy milk and bread … staff always work so hard in fact they overworked , always stressed as is shortage of staff .Management don’t even want to hear when you have something to say related to work . They have their favourites…. Always negativity and gossips

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hrs, no gratitude, rude

22 September 2021
I am sorry that that has been your experience at Aspens. The care of the people we support is extremely important to us and across the Charity, we have fantastic teams of support workers who truly make a positive difference in the lives of the individuals we support. We are working hard on filling the vacancies we have within Aspens. Our managers are supported and empowered to manage their teams and genuinely do want to know if something can be improved within their services.

Do not work for this company

Very unfair, management and HR only care about money. Workers are stressed and have no help. All over worked whilst HR stick there noses in things they have absolutely no clue about as they don’t know the service users or their staff. Any incidents are pinned on staff. HR are all clicky and friends. Concerns are raised but brushed under the carpet. Terrible company. Your job is never stable here.

Pros

Relaxed

Cons

Unfair treatment, unsupported, underpayed

22 September 2021
We are working hard to fill the vacancies within Aspens as we are fully aware of the impact of this issue on our existing staffing teams. Aspens offers great career opportunities as you can see from the staff stories on our website. Any concerns raised are fully investigated and appropriate action taken.

Current support worker

Had to deal with very poor staffing levels with no support. Long hours followed by night shifts as no staff back up. Head office team is very clicky. The team really care shame about the management.

Pros

The support workers really care And do a good job

Cons

Poor staffing, poor management.

22 September 2021
Thank you for your comments. Our support workers (and other staff) really do a great job. We are working hard to fill our vacancies as we know that this is an issue for some of our services. We care about the wellbeing of all our staff, managers and support workers alike, and are constantly reviewing how we can support them further.

Very poor company to work for

Do not work for this company, the upper management team are useless, and up themselves. They only care about money, wages are terrible for what you go through. Workers are treated differently especially if a support worker is family of one of the managers. Do yourself a favour go elsewhere

Pros

Easy laid back job on the front line

Cons

Bad managenent, lack of support and communiction, no care at all

9 February 2021
We are very keen to gather feedback from our staff regarding what is working and what isn't. At Aspens, we encourage any staff member to speak up if they aren't happy with how things are working and are fortunate to employ so many people at all levels who look after our service users so well.

laid back job. Easy to get into

The service users do not come first . The head office staff are clicky and fake .lots going on behind the scenes.Staff are stressed ...............................................................................

Pros

Desperately seeking staff so easy to get staff .

Cons

Minimum wage . Useless training.

1 February 2021
I am sorry that you found your experience of working at Aspens unsatisfactory. We are working very hard to support staff, particularly during the pandemic and have introduced a number of wellbeing initiatives. Our training provision is thorough and frequently reviewed to ensure it meets the needs of staff and service users.

Do not work here

The positives - most of the staff are lovely caring individuals. The culture is inclusive and the job of looking after vulnerable clients is very rewarding.The negative side - The job is poorly paid, dreadfully managed from the very top down with constant badly implemented changes. The jobs are unstable with a overall poor morale across the business. So in conclusion if you want no stability, constant frustration that makes you want to bang your head against a brick wall, then look no further!

Pros

inclusive environment

Cons

poor pay and terrible management

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read that you felt the culture to be inclusive and you are quite right: it is rewarding to work with and look after those who we support as a charity.To respond to your other comments, our pay rates are regularly reviewed to ensure that they remain competitive.I was sorry to read that you felt changes weren't well implemented or managed. We are always keen to hear from our staff who feel that processes could be managed better and work with them to make the necessary improvements.

Unequal staff treatment and unfair culture

All staff to be treated equally whether black or white. Managers should be well inducted and supported. There should be open and fair culture. Very slow with following processes and outcomes

Pros

Good with dissemination of information

Cons

Unfair treatment and lack of support to managers

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I see that you are a current employee and I would be very keen to have a conversation with you about what you feel can be improved in terms of support for managers. At Aspens, we are absolutely committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. Jo Gouldthorpe, Head of Human Resources

Amazing place to work

Aspens is a wonderful place to work. The service users are brilliant and no day is ever the same. The staff are supportive, creative, caring and totally inspiring. The management support is amazing and there are opportunities for progression. I would recommend joining Aspens to everyone!

11 January 2021
Thank you for sharing this feedback, it's great to read! Aspens works hard to make sure that its employees have opportunities to progress and develop and it's lovely to read that you have found the staff to be supportive.

Terrible company to work for

What a terrible company to work for!! Bullying, our wages were always short, being called in on our days off, underpaid for it!! Our wages were always short and had to fight for what we earned!!!talked to like you were rubbish!!i would rather be unemployed than ever work here again!!!!!!!

Pros

Non

Cons

Short paid, talked to you like rubbish always called in on your days off

11 January 2021
I am sorry that you found your time with Aspens to be unsatisfactory. It is of course always our intention to pay our employees for the hours that they have worked and would always work hard to rectify such issues.

Bad management

Beautiful site, Interesting service users, but no support whatsoever from management, against the bullying of certain colleagues.Most staff are amazing., but not all.

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and working with the service users you supported. We would always want to know if any of our employees are experiencing difficulties at work and would work with them to resolve the issues.

Great people but poor management

Service users great to work with the building is very small and management was poor. However, great time with the service users however could be more person centred.

Pros

service users

Cons

management

Not the most progressive company

Aspens is not a good company to work for. The frontline staff are very good and care a lot but this is not reflected in the attitudes of upper management.

Pros

Very Rewarding Job

Cons

Unsocial hours and poor management

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. It is clear that our frontline and indeed all our employees care greatly about what they do and we are keen to regularly gather feedback on how this is reflected within all levels of management.

Lovely Work Place but compensation is low

+Aspen was a great place to work at. +Training was provided, staff and management were friendly and approachable. +Work is rewarding and Service Users are great fun to be with. - Salary was low

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed working for us. We constantly review salary levels to ensure that they remain competitive.

Undergoing change

I chair this charity so I am not there on a daily basis but I believe the management and front line staff to be a dedicated and committed cohort of people all passionate about the cause

Pros

flexible

Cons

a charity so salaries are not as competitive as in the corporate sector

11 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback and for your comments on the management and frontline staff who continue to be dedicated and passionate about helping those who we support to achieve their potential.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspens Charities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement