Aster Group

Aster Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews

Good lads on the ground, shame about management

All in all you get left alone to do your job as long as it’s completed by the end of the month. Everyone there now though has the feeling that it is all going to go out to contractors as all offices are now closed and being sold off. So if full time don’t expect to be there for long.

Pros

Work van to take home

Cons

Very strict tracking and speed monitoring

Don’t be fooled by the fluffiness

Aster like to tell you all about their values and behaviours, but they don’t stand by them. If your face doesn’t fit, you’ll be out the door. If you’re a brown nose, you’ll fit right in at Aster, but if you’re hard working and good at your job, this will upset the people who have been there for ages and earn a lot of money doing very little. Aster pander to those who shout the loudest but aren’t necessarily good at what they do. I’d think very hard before joining a toxic culture like Aster.

Pros

Perkbox - free coffee every week

Cons

Senior Management, toxic culture, low salary, very sneaky and underhand

Insights into Aster Group

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Nice offices, very professional management. Lovely break rooms and facilities.

I worked here for 9 months. The job takes a few months to get to grips with but is easier the longer you are there. It is the same as any contact centre, relentless calls but that is what I would expect in a contact centre. Plenty of opportunities to move to a new role within the company.

Pros

They allow you to work from home

Cons

Angry, difficult customers

Not to shabby

The actual operatives dealing with customers are great, all out for the same goal, to help people... Direct management are very organized and there if you need them.. management above that is very hit and miss, no one owns any issues... Pay is all over the shop.. but work is constant so all good

Pros

The working hours

Cons

Higher management and lack of thinking

Poor management skills in some areas

There is poor management skills within some areas of the business. If you're unlucky enough to have a problem and raise it, they either try to dismiss the problem or twist it round to you. Some areas such as trades, gas team, electric team are a great bunch to work with. Other areas have alot of office politics and if you don't follow suit and have your own views or opinion you won't last long and you won't be helped if you need it. They also proclaim to have a great understanding and compassion of hidden disabilities and mental health, this is not the case I had seen alot of bullying from people who are in roles which should support more so as they are of a senior level. Poorly ran company nowadays.

Pros

Bonus possibilities

Cons

Usually take work home with you, not enough time for lunch breaks, fuel allowance not paid to every role, lack of support

It’s ok

Working for Aster group has been rewarding, the staff are great but the management not great. It’s easy to get to if you live in Andover, get company van, good work life balance and good health care benefits, perks and work schemes.

Pros

Work benefits

Cons

Managers

Small friendly team

I was a temp worker in the payroll team and the atmosphere was welcoming and sharing. Usually no need to work past set hours. Felt included even though I was a temp.

Pros

Friendly colleagues, approachable managers, respectful culture

Cons

Pay maybe could have been better

Definitely not family friendly

There is no support at all, from training you are on your own, all team leaders and senior management work from a different set of rules. It's an atmosphere of if your face fits then no problem. As for them being a family friendly company to work from let's hope your child never goes sick.

Productive Friendly workplace

Really enjoyed working with this company, encouraged learning and was a very friendly place to work, the only reason that I left was that the payroll and pensions were relocated to another area which was too far to travel on a daily basis and I was unable to relocate with the job, otherwise I would still be hopefully with the company now

Forward thinking company

Very up to the minute company offering flexible working and dress down as the norm. Additionally a "take what you need" attitude to holiday entitlement - what's not to love about it. Sadly a department restructure made me redundant. Looking foranew challenge working from home due to mobility issues.

Brilliant culture in Hampshire Housing team

In the Hampshire Housing team everyone without exception is pulling towards the same goal of providing everyone with a home. It’s awesome. The culture is very trusting and adult. You can work the hours you want in the location you want to suit your role and circumstances. Mental health is taken very very seriously. They don’t just pay lip service to it. I am able to do the very best for my tenants. The Head of Housing is trying really hard to create a fun, hard working, self managing culture that does the best for our tenants. It’s very refreshing. I feel like I am making a difference every single day. I love coming to work and helping provide people with a home. My team are fantastic. Extremely supportive and friendly. Digital transformation is happening for the benefit of employees and tenants. Fantastic employee engagement team.

Challenging work but good

Work is different each day on repairs never the same and you get a challenge when you get a fault find which then could take a couple of hours or even longer depending on the challenge And the work is good as always on the go from start to finish each and every day.

If your face fits....

My manager was the biggest problem.. she was a menopausal control freak and wouldn't fail to set you up for failure every time. If you fanned her ego you would do okay but otherwise her narcissistic personality and behaviour was completely unbearable. The job was great but not great enough to put up with that level of unprofessional behavior.

good place to work, flexible approach to work life balance

innovative and forward thinking, supportive leadership. Good corporate induction day with on-going training and learning opportunities through job shadowing and regular supervisions.

Pros

flexible working and benefits package

Cons

extensive travelling required for some positions

Awful place

Working here and your experience of it varies wildly depending on management. Some senior management are inept and vindictive. Lower level line managers vary. Claims to be an organisation with staff welfare at its core, but it’s just empty words. Staff encouraged to take laptops on holiday with them. WhatsApp staff groups on personal phones. Very little collaboration between departments. My experience was ifcinstantly extended fixed term contracts. No job security or appreciation.

Pros

The team was lovely

Amazing

This is such a great place to work! From the word go the training was exemplary and so thorough. Management are brilliant, always encouraging and helpful. I never thought I’d do a basic 9-5 Mon-Fri job but it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Every day is varied and I feel like the company is wholly behind you do develop and improve.

Pros

Friendly, positive attitude and atmosphere. Professional development.

Cons

Occasionally stressful but comes with the nature of the job

Couldnt organise a drink in a brewery

Terrible management decisions don't make the job easier just more stressful. Vindictive hr department always looking to trip you up at every turn. Said they were aiming to be a three star organisation then changed their mind to be a one star. Equipment provided to do the job not suitable for the task and all to save few pennies.

Cons

Fun workplace but senior management ruthless

The atmosphere was a fun place, and buildings were lovely. My Line manager was very accommodating of my parenting needs and enabled my to work my hours to suit. Unfortunately senior management are very ruthless at making redundancies and there was an overall feeling of where was the axe next going to fall.

Nice place to work

I worked here for 4 years before being made redundant in a finance restructure. Nice modern office, good location, friendly colleagues & managers. In recent years, Aster has moved away from the cosy housing association image and become much more business orientated. The finance department restructure in 2014 was brutal and could have treated people more considerately. A sad way to end what had been a positive experience up to that point. Despite this, I would work there again if the opportunity came up.

Pros

Modern office. Everyone gets on well. Good management.

Cons

Rapid growth & constant restructuring.

Good opportunities for furthering career

I worked at Aster for 7 years on the whole it was a positive experience and gave me a broad understanding of social housing and the repairs service. Great people to work with but sometimes departments can work against each other this is a fast changing company and regular restructuring is common place hence the reason i moved on.

Pros

great people good opportunities

Cons

lots of restructures that dont seem to make a difference

Fun workplace

A typical day at work in the Contact Centre at Aster is answering phones from tenants ranging across 5 counties. These issues are primarily repairs though occasionally there will be questions regarding tenancy types/issues with neighbours. I have learned 3 new computer programs that are used within the housing sector quite quickly. I have also learned to how effectively communicate with tenants and contractors over the phone. The management structure within the Contact Centre is Agents have a Team Leader and they report to the Call Centre and performance Manager who reports to Head of Customer Contact. We have 6 weekly 1-2-1's with our TLs and we fill out a questionnaire prior to this so we can bring things up that we need to. We discuss KPI's and how we feel in the role, as well as things to do with outside of work if necessary. At the time of writing the culture is changing in the CC to a more corporate atmosphere. It used the to be the not as rigid but, as the CC has grown, the culture has changed. The hardest part of the job is getting in contact with other departments when there is an angry tenant on the phone and they don't understand that you have done all you can to get in contact with them. Shouty/angry tenants are the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people in the CC. I have made some great friends whilst working here.

Pros

Great team of people

Cons

Constantly changing proceedures

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aster Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Aster Group with

• Aster Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?