AstraZeneca

AstraZeneca Employee Reviews

United Kingdom158 reviews

Found 158 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,207 reviews
organisationpharmaceuticalrolecolleaguedevelopfantasticsiteexcellent

Great and welcoming place to work

I did my placement during the pandemic, and so obviously this did have an impact. This being said though, it was a very friendly environment and the people were all lovely. Hard work but worth it.

Pros

Free tea and coffee, free parking, lovely atmosphere, great people

Opportunities to progress available if your face fits

Overall not a bad company to work for, however some managers do have their favourites and they're the ones who invariably progress, which can be unfair and a source of frustration, particularly when you're the person who is undertaking additional work, showing greater flexibility etc. The company flies the flag for promoting good mental health and wellbeing, and some (not all I hasten to add) managers do actually show genuine concern and support. The vast majority of people who work for the company at this site are friendly, helpful and happy to offer help and support if needed, but there are a few (some unfortunately in management), who are out for themselves and aren't afraid to trample on people to further their own career, but I suppose the same can be said for most workplaces.

Insights into AstraZeneca

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

Ok for starters

Good company to start out at and learn a lot.Much less good for later career progression. Management is not great, generally consisting of people who have been there a long time (and won't shift). There is a mix of really good dedicated scientists, 9-to-5ers, and those who think being loud and opinionated justifies their position. Culture is a mix of collaborative groups and less collaborative - there is a competitive element that can be decidedly unpleasant. Pay, bonuses, and benefits are good, although pension options have eroded in recent years.

Productive, efficient

Typical day involves working in the lab and going to many meetings! People are always happy to help and collaborate on something. Lots of opportunities for reviewing your performance and giving feedback

Global so lots of out of hours working

Tough environment. Rewarding but political. Some good people but very competitive which restricts collaboration. Lots of talented people left while I was there.

Quality over quantity and not metric focused

Quality over quantity and not metric focused. Clear processes and structures in place. A lot of focus is based on building relationships with sites and involving collaboration from other teams in the company such as the MSL teams.

Nepotism and Cronyism

If you are a Spineless, Pathetic, Out of touch, Chip on shoulder, Jumped up little prefect then this is the perfect career choice for you, expect to be made management. Preferred candidates are handed the interviewers prep guide prior to interview so if you haven't got that don't expect to go full time, I know this because I still have a copy.The renumeration is not bad that's what drives the backstabbery if you are predatory and unscrupulous you may even thrive in this environment, it's ultimately who you know and how much you are willing to brownose that will aid your progression.I have since left for a more honourable company where managements malfeasance is punishable rather than being rewarded, KPIs are not manipulated for Process Facilitator brownie points Boris Johnson could learn alot about politricks from this lot, don't be suckered it's not like they say in the brochure

Excellent place

Great place to work with excellent pay and benefits. Shift work and some jobs require weekend working. Good work life balance and a big company that makes you welcome. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this company to family and friends.

Pros

Great place

Cons

Can get busy and overtime is sometimes a must.

Extremely proffessional world class organisation

A first class organisation that have incrediaby high standards and a management that facilitates personal development and guidance. A new multi billion pound European Headquarters and medical research campus has been built in Cambridge in collaboration with world leading organisations such as Papworth and Addenbrooke hospitals and Cancer UK.

Excellent company

This really is a great place to work. It's fast paced and buzzy, people are helpful and mindful of each other and most importantly for me there is room for everyone to have a voice. There are of course the complexities that come from such a large scale organisation but there is always something to get involved in and everyone's contribution is valued. Its not perfect by any means but it is a good company and I'm grateful to have experienced it

Pros

Great culture and you can find your tribe

Cons

There is a lot of complexity, you need to get used to being a part of that, you also need to be able to embrace a lot of change.

Excellent work place

Okdikidoki, that’s all I’m saying, good place to work and nothing was to much trouble but probably not like that nowadays, times changed and not for the good.

Pros

Work ethic was way above normal

Stressful

Quite stressful environment for new starters. Not sure yet how things will become after a few more months. Training is almost non existent, it is very superficial and given in a way intended to make you repeat things without questioning their methods

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

Stressful and bad training. Scientists are micromanaged with little room for thinking out of the box

Great Culture and growth mindset - A great place to work

Very fulfilling and supportive environment. A consistent positive culture across the organisation irrespective of your role or location. Development opportunities all round. AZ encourages everyone to stretch and learn new things. The Lean journey is a great asset. Managers are always open to listen and support.Overall, AZ is a 5-star company.

Pros

good salary, great benefit fund, great pension, outstanding culture

Cons

a bit relaxed sometimes and you can easily get carried away.

Kept busy at all times

I’ve worked for the company 9 months I’m enjoying my time there Its good working environment plenty off training extra hrs most weeks but not pressured in working extra

Pros

Discounts on shops

Cons

Long hrs

Preach one thing but reality far different

Depending what you do wages can be good to average. Expect nil training or courses as they want all that before you start. Massive blame culture...work can get very repetitive and boring....

Money orientated

The majority of employees are introduced as temporary workers, it pays to have relatives in the job and in the know. There is a tendency for temps between 20/30 to be given full time employment. I found there was systematic bullying of temps by a minority of contracted employees, although I survived 6 years but they got me in the end.The pay is good after temps were given equal rights by the european courts, before this I was paid the minimum amount. Overall last as long as you can, make hay while the sun shines.

Pros

Money

Cons

frustration

Ok

Big pharma. Benefits good, pay good, management mainly driven by their own promotion prospects. Science follows what is fashionable, so not a lot of continuity.

Pros

Flexible working

Excellent place to work

Relaxed atmosphere with excellent facilities and a very inclusive and diverse culture. Down to earth management and a friendly workforce make this a great place to work.

Pros

Good pay, relaxed atmosphere, inclusive culture

Cons

Canteen a little expensive

Work Experience

I took part in a week of work experience within the company. I feel it was a great insight into the working world and I was able to develop my skill set further.

Very Professional ,Management very level headed

a great company to work with and my time at Astrazeneca Speke has been very rewarding the shift I am on has been brilliant to work with and my training has been second to none

Great people, so-so management but very shady criteria...

I was a contractor here for just under a year, learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Found some of the permanent staff quite lazy and happy to rest on their laurels with the attitude of "just let the temps do it" an attitude encouraged by our Team Leader. The company in my opinion treated their staff quite well and were generous with benefits, even towards the temps. However, when we were let go all the Manager said to us was that "we didnt meet the criteria" without telling us what the criteria was... And the fact that we were all minorities whilst the one who got kept on was Caucasian... Coincidence? Not sure but does make you wonder...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AstraZeneca. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare AstraZeneca with

Learn about AstraZeneca in popular locations

• AstraZeneca
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?