Atkins

Atkins Employee Reviews

I had very good professional experience working at the company. I had loads of training in the most relevant aspects of the specialty (Intelligent Transport Systems).
Pros
Professional, relaxed, hard-working, Support, Very good place to learn an progress in career.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fantastic people, family atmosphere. As long as you put the work in you'll be ok. Management in general is fine... As always though you WILL find the odd twit. Overall........A GREAT place to work
Pros
They do look after staff very well
Cons
At times, you need to put in extra hours but you are paid for it
Fast pace and demanding work culture company. I wasn't impressed with the person who trained me, she wasn't organised, didn't have a proper training schedule. She found it difficult to explain her work, expected others to show me different areas of the role because she couldn't be bothered.However other colleagues were supportive and I learned a lot of new systems.
Pros
Friendly and supportive staff
Cons
Demanding, stressful work culture.
Atkins used to be a great place to work. The takeover by SNC has led to some fundamental changes. While investment in IT services and tech support for staff has improved, senior management approach and performance has declined, with 'Americanisms' (in terms of management approaches) creeping into the business. Evidence of this, can be seen with the SNC board, being happy to pay themselves multi-million ÂŁ bonus', and shareholder dividends, while staff were being asked to take 10-20% pay cuts. They are very happy to say the business is doing well, even if it isn't, which means there is no trust of senior leadership. That or internal politics in muddying the messaging. It could be a good place to work, but be careful of the new management being introduced by the SNC Lavalin side of the business.
Pros
Pay was close to industry standard, range of projects are interesting and engaging
Cons
40hr week contracted. SNC management is changing things for the worse
Worked within a great team, lots of collaboration. The new office in Epsom is lovely, a great workspace. The main downside for me was that there were frequent IT network issues, which was extremely frustrating.
Pros
Beautiful new office
Cons
Frequent IT issues
It really is about the people you work with, and Atkins do have some of the best! When its busy, its hard work, but made fun and enjoyable by those around you.
Pros
Flexiable working
Cons
n/a
Great work/life balance, huge variety of work and you drive your own career and path. Sometimes can feel disconnecting from Atkins when working for client.
Pros
Work/life balance
Lots of great people and capability but a lack of a strategy to respond to the market needs. There is a disconnect between the skilled engineers and the business leaders.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Some weak management
Good company to work for and develop a career. Good environment, colleagues and managers always willing to help. Good work/life balance, overtime is required sometimes.
Very relaxed and informal office environment Flexible working hours and working from home Atkins at Heathrow Airport is a fast paced and stressful environment Every day was a different day, always new challenges to overcome
Pros
Staff discount on Heathrow Express, WDF and restuarants.
Cons
Long working hours as needed. The airport is a 24/7 environment so phone calls at all hours.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Atkins?
overall a good place to work. good progression. although started to feel like a number after snc purached atkins. If youre in a good team youll do ok.
My manager was a bully. He was great as a technical project manager but should never have been made a people manager. He bullied me and other staff. He also was very backward about women's rights to maternity leave and flexible working etc. Senior management heard about this and left him in role but supposedly improved his skills. He continued to bully his team and people left over time. People are a company's most important asset - I strongly believe they should be supported and encouraged to flourish rather than bullied, undermined, not trusted to get on with their job and supported to develop their role. Since leaving I have taken control of my career, achieved success, and achieved a good work life balance working from home. Unless Atkins have changed I would not recommend them as an employer. They had an initiative to improve things for female employees - good intentions, but they were actually very behind. It felt like a tickbox exercise and when you looked around there were very few female managers which is surprising when women take up the majority of environmental roles. The Environment Agency has much better opportunities for women to progress - many more female managers.
Results driven very busy IT project management department delivering medium to large IT in construction projects, with flexible work ethic. Good people both professional and personal.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Regulation
General document controller, managing the in and out flow of documents that come in for the project, downloading and uploading of document on the EDMS,create and distributing document to my project manager and clients.quality check documents against the transmittal making sure they pass document controll procedure before i accept and workflow documents to my project manager.
Throughout support from management, Very good organisation. On going training opportunities for everyone. Lots of hr help and the opportunity for promotion are great
This only reflects the Consulting arm of Atkins, which I left because the couldn't generate enough work and the core management team didn't seem to know how to fix this..
Pros
salary
Cons
work life balance, (too much time in hotels)
I would recommend working for Atkins to anyone that is serious about their career and cares about doing an excellent job with passionate, committed and hardworking colleagues.
Horrible office culture and bad management, a lot of people left with mental health issues. No support from the company, no progression, lacks diversity.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bullying culture, no / slow progression/ lacks diversity
I did my work experience here to see what it would be like to be an accountant. Much to busy and fast-paced for my liking but the job for you if you love maths and an engaging environment.
Massive cost pressures and a huge (downward) shift in culture since their acquisition by SNC-Lavalin. Haemorrhaging staff at senior levels as a consequence, but still a very positive and engaging experience for new graduates. Positive on diversity and in a constrained environment, still trying to do the right thing.
I was only there for work experience but even during my short time there I felt as though I was apart of the team and like I was learning progressively.
  1. Employee reviews