Atkins

Atkins Employee Reviews for Engineer

Engineer10 reviews
United Kingdom10 reviews

consultancyprojectprogressionengineerdesignengineeringrolecolleague

Fun workplace and lot of training opportunities

Great workplace and many experts/cross team members would help you if needed. Besides, there are lot of CPD/webminars available, you could enroll the internal courses you are interested in.

Pros

Flexible on work hours

Cons

Many projects to be followed

Excellent place to work

Atkins Ireland is an excellent place to work with many interest projects, great work culture and work life balance. I will strongly recommend anyone who would like to advance their career to join Atkins

Pros

interesting projects

Cons

Pay

Insights into Atkins

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Good colleagues, terrible management

Learnt a lot in the years I was there, developed my skillset (from the few remaining skilled & experienced staff, the majority having left or been laid off). Salary progression / pay rises were awful, was being paid £10,000 a year less than people with the same qualification and fewer years experience than someone who joined the company later on in their career in the same role! SNC senior management and directors seemed happy to give themselves million pound bonuses whilst asking staff to take a 16-20% pay cut!

Good company

Throughout support from management, Very good organisation. On going training opportunities for everyone. Lots of hr help and the opportunity for promotion are great

Not a fun place to work

Very unfriendly place to work. A very hostile atmosphere. I felt very uncomfortable working there. It is probably the worst job I have ever had. I do not want to blame the company.

Useful and productive experience overall. Variety of projects. But very difficult to get into different projects because they need specific skills. Less growth possibility.

Good non-salary benefits and office environment, but intermittent workload

A good large company with excellent continued professional development opportunities (to achieve CEng status). Consultancy work can be intermittent, especially for graduates.

Pros

Continued Professional Development scheme, good office environment, flexi-time, ability to purchase/sell annual leave

Cons

Graduate work can be slow, consultancy based work intermittent.

Great people, relaxed culture

Great group of people in the office, working on large programmes of work for a major client. Key learning outcomes have been working on large multidisciplinary Although I have really enjoyed the work I have done while at the Derby office, the range of projects on offer were all of a similar nature and I was wary of getting pigeon-holed at such an early stage in my career. Having worked with a few project managers whilst in the Derby office, there are varying levels of project management expertise and the responsibilities of project managers were not always well defined leaving graduate engineers such as myself to pick up the pieces. The best part of the job is the degree of autonomy granted by project managers and technical leads, often I was in charge of liaising between different members of Atkins and the client organisation.

Pros

Flexible working hours, degree of autonomy, early responsibility, good group of colleagues

Cons

Lack of focus on delivery, ineffective management, lack of training, unclear progression route, variety of projects

Productive and fun workplace

Brilliant experience. Lovely people. Great opportunites to progress as Engineer. I would love to be a member of the team.

Pros

great team work

Cons

no internet

Driven workplace, excellent staff conditions, very business orientated

Atkins is a unique Engineering company to work for. As a consultancy, your life is filled with a variety of projects, locations and staff to work with. No 2 months are the same, and there's always a new challenge to look forwards to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atkins. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Atkins with

• Atkins
  • Engineer
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?