AWE PLC

AWE PLC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom54 reviews

goodstaffdaymanagementcompanyplacepeopleworking

Very supportive and safe culture

Although the site is large the collaboration and expertise is excellent. Workforce are kept well informed of current and future plans. Ample opportunities for self development and advancement. A happy and enjoyable environment.

Pros

Flexible working and good pension scheme

Cons

Many positions require positive vetting

Important work, poorly executed

The work itself is important and varied, it’s a shame the management build empires among departments and push for ideas that cause change too quickly. Always something to learn but with an ageing workforce, responsibility on younger staff increases with little training and little compensation. Money for improvements go to large projects rather than to the smaller areas that require modernisation.

Insights into AWE PLC

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Job security and advancement should be two headings

I was there for 30 years and did not get promoted once. I've received two since I left 16 months ago. You really need to be in with line mangers and don't really need to be technically minded or knowledgable to succeed. In fact, the more you knew the less chance of promotion. They appear to be more interested in interpersonal skills than subject knowledge.

Not a good place to work

Poor managers that do not listen to you. Bully's and don't care about you as an individual, you are only a number. All the HR department are interested ln is taking disciplinary action against the individual. Managers don't care about their staff

Slow paced and relaxed

Good benefits such as 9 day working fortnight. Work is very slow paced and can be frustrating at times to try and obtain required training.Culture is much more suited to older employees

Pros

Every other friday off

Cons

Slow work

Slow placed environment and takes ages to get most tasks done. However the people are nice.

Definitely an old fashioned company and lack of innovation due to the nature of work. Investment into skills that aren’t purely technical would help. The people are lovely however there is a lack of motivation to get things done.

Pros

Good pay for the hours Non working Fridays

Cons

Lack of opportunity

All works were only carried out by issue of works requested by the main contractor, materials / fixings and all tool requirement were supplied owing to security reasons.We were briefed every day before any works were undertaken including Hazards / Awareness / RAMS / Permits to work / Tooling.Access to areas of works were sometimes restricted, this could cause start and finish issues. Management were very strict on Safety, but not so good on the time required to complete some requested works, The working atmosphere was mainly good and fellow operatives friendly.One of the enjoyable parts of job was when we were thanked for a good job on completion of a works requested by the main Contractor.

Pros

On site canteen

Very busy - overdemanding

AWE skills Academy, very busy and overdemanding. Expectations are high, encouraged to get qualifications to improve management and teaching of apprentices. Became political correct playground following new CEO intro in 2016. Under-qualified intake makes teaching difficult, discipline awkward given company defends the offender. Stressful environment. Pay widely different for doing the same job. Not recommended.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Overworked

Ideal for new science or maths graduate

An excellent, very supported environment to continue scientific research. Great place to further develop scientific skills. Very supportive if you wish to enhance your academic qualifications.

productive if i work by myself

can be productive depending on the day and other times it can get very stressful why I say that its lack of communication from management to staff

Its an intereting place to work

AWE is an interesting site to work on and the work can be varied. A typical day can depend on what part of the organisation you work on and what role you are in.

AWE working there is good but higher management for me was awful, the work and job we did and hours where great and the pay .i would say to anyone yes

I worked hard did a good job of work, but the lady in charge of our section made my life difficult and I would say stressful . That why I retired and left, looking for part time work as she also told me we don’t do part time in the section I worked. I worked 12 hours shift days 6 till 6 for four days, then four days off, then 4 nights 6pm till 6 am then four day off again,but loved the job and the people I worked with ,but not higher management.you get sick pay some work on a 9: day fortnight, work is interesting and your leaning all the time . Plus once your in AWE there are other jobs to apply for.

Defence Industry

good to work for if you enjoy Defence Industry, very tightly controlled, open to all walks of life and a job here is a way of life and can last as long as you want it to. Its very difficult to say much more due to the secure nature of the business.

Varied and interesting work

interesting work with friendly colleagues Good training where required Good feedback on job performance Varied work of national importance Good working facilities

Pros

Good facitities

Cons

Security can make job difficult

Lots of overtime

There is a lot of Good opportunity to progress however your constantly on your feet. There was constant overtime on offer at all times of the year. With a good work life balance

Exciting projects, but often slow paced

the work can be challenging and a real driver for personal growth and engagement, however frustrations in 'red tape' and a lack of consequence can sometimes promote a stagnant work environment.

Secure with Great opportunities!!

Great opportunities to progress and work life balance if fantastic but a real slow pace. A changing culture towards behaviours and attitudes over the last couple years has made a huge difference to the workplace environment. Strong but not visible leadership from the execs.

Not what it says on the tin.

The way that the company is presented at application is not how it is once you are working there, be prepared for a shock if you come from the modern comercial world - you may well be disapointed. Culture is SO dated. I wish they had given more information at the start, I would not have bothered taking my application further.

Slow pace of life

A typical work day is quite slow if you work in maintenance, you will learn a lot of new things but its all on outdated equipment. The people there are good to work with though.

Professional High Level Position

High level role which effectively bridged the gap between tactical and strategic security programme delivery. Supported by a completely professional team able to deliver any security solution aligned to regulatory and legislative requirements.

Pros

development or core technological and industry specific security knowledge

Cons

Steep learning curve

A Great Place to Work

We usually start the day, with a team catch up session, discussing what went well the week before and where there was an opportunity to improve. The week would vary, along with the challenges, depending whether there was a trial or a production activity taking place. Management were very good, though some my customers were challenging to keep happy. Workplace culture was one the best that I've experienced, in the world. Hardest part of the job? Some difficult customers to work for. Enjoyable part of the Job? Seeing the penny drop, when the customer realised what they had to do, in order to remain compliant.

Pros

Flexible working regime, company ethos, nine day fortnights and a good benefits package

Cons

Challenging workplace, very heavy workload and high security clearance requirements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AWE PLC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement