B&M logo

B&M Employee Reviews

Found 5,121 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,223 reviews

Productive Workplace

Featured review

B&M selected this as a representative review
When I started with B&M just over a year ago I didn't know what to expect. The job is brilliant, B&M are all about growing your own talent, promoting people within the work place. I have gone from being a general assistant to a Deputy Manager. it has been the most amazing experience and I can't imagine doing it with any other retailer. B&M live by values, Fairness, proud, simplicity and Trust. I can honestly say all of these values are felt with in the business. B&M is very good with peoples availability and flexibility. In my store the colleagues are so friendly and polite, such a joy to work with. The new ranges and trends that come in with every season keep the job different and interesting. I really do enjoy working at B&M :)

Pros

Support from Management i.e Area Manager

Cons

Occasionally work load.

Official response from B&M

2 July 2021
Thank you for posting such a great review! What an amazing example of progression within B&M! We are so glad to have you on board and thank you for your commitment during a difficult year.

A job is what you make of it

All companies have little things that can frustrate you, but feel that B&M is a company that is fluid in its growth and not afraid to adapt. Loved my time so far and have held a number of jobs for global brands over the years, and this is by far the best

Pros

10% discount, normal company benefits

Cons

No sick pay, even for genuine reasons

Fast paced work in a team based environment can be challenging but extremely rewarding .

I’ve been with B&M for two and a half years and can honestly say no two days are the same the work pace is swift with a packed calendar to adhere to but it’s a rewarding career with a fantastic progression scheme I stepped up within a year from floor manager to Deputy and am looking forward to continuing my career and reaching Store manager over the coming years, The team are fantastic and I have been blessed with great support and willing management when it comes to my availability around my children. I was dubious about interviewing for B&M as I had been in retail all my adult life but it was by far the best decision I ever made .

Pros

10% discount, My staff benefits scheme

Cons

Fast paced job with family like staff

I've been with the company 14 year now, I feel my manager and area manager have shown me a great deal over the years and have been supportive, B&M is growing continuously and has grown and evolved massively since I've started, my hope is that they continue to do so as sometimes I feel they are behind other large companies in terms of wages and incentives. Overall I have enjoyed my time with b&m and I feel the future is bright.

Pros

Employee of the month incentive

Cons

Workload at times, minimum wage

fast pace

I am not happy working for B&M, we never have enough staff and expectation is too high. We do not get paid well either. On top of everything the store unbearably hot to work in. The talk about installing an air condition is an endless debate past 7 years.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Underpaid salary, short staffed, unhealthy working environment and not enough support during sickness

I am a current employee at b&m and have been here several years. I enjoy working here, its a relaxed and cheerful place to work. I would recommend working here.

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great management

Cons

Not enough hours

Dont bother

Don't bother you get paid minimum wage to get had a go at for things that are in no way your fault you have to pick up the peices of other staffs wrong doing the management...don't even get me started absolute joke to say the least! I'd be here too long saying every little thing but just don't bother! Managers don't even stick to the policies of the bloody store they are running doesn't have your back towards customers!! The list goes on! Rota is set but then changed and your expected to work it, no communication skills whatsoever! You go that extra mile to help out and you just get it thrown back in your face by management sorry what is supposed to be management but is nothing more than an absolute sad..sad excuse of management! Please do yourself a favour and dont bother!!

Pros

Cons

Management is a joke, underappreicated pushed to the limit and they couldnt care less about you

A fun place to work,with a great chance to develop and a progress higher

I have worked here for just over 8 years,and find it a fun place to work,with a family based atmosphere.There are plenty of chances to develop and hone your skills and to progress to higher positions within the company.

Pros

great environment

Cons

long hours and weekend working

Great staff and productive work enviroment

Very fast paced work enviroment with great staff. unfortunately suffers from low pay especially for younger employees. Overall would recommend working here for the staff and the good amounts of hours but the low pay is a big con.

Pros

ten percent discount

Cons

awful pay

Great internal progression

I started at the company 5 years ago as till staff, after graduating from university. Since then I have worked my way up the ranks internally to become a General Store Manager. The oppurtunities for internal progression are fantastic and can be very quick for the right candidate who has the drive and work-ethic. Pay is relatively low until you reach salaried positions and the hours are long once you reach these positions, however it can be a rewarding career if your prepared to work hard.

Pros

Good progression

Jobs at B&M

See more jobs

Fun but hard work

I like working here but the job can be very fast paced sometimes which can make your work load difficult. The starff are amazing and they are the reason i stay here as the wages are minimum wage.

Pros

staff, 10% discount, flexible hours

Cons

poor wages, workload can be hard

Worst moment of my life (mental death)

This was by far the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life. Cruel management that don’t care. Constant cost cutting. This job would kill you. I nearly took myself to breaking point.

Pros

Paid half hour break, 10% discount

Cons

Pay/Long hours

Good place to work and we are hard working team

I’ve been working at b&m since 2014 when the store actually opened so been there since day one really enjoy my job and I’m happy working at b&m I love working as cashier as I love talking I’m in the perfect job I’m very hard working and reliable great customer service I have! Everyone at b&m is friendly and helpful we all get on like family we work as great team and to high standards

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Working full weekends but it’s retail

Alright place to work

It’s a pretty decent job, the work is fair and the managers are very accommodating and helpful, but also fair in certain situations. The thing B&M lack in is decent pay.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay

fun work place

can be fun,staff\mangement are great, we all work as a team, can be stressful sometimes but on the whole its fine, wish wages were better, than minimum wage

Pros

good team

Cons

usually get the hours you want

Good place to work, good team atmosphere, flexible hours, good management, good career opportunities for those who are wanting to progress.

Pros

Nice friendly atmosphere

Cons

N/a

productive envronment, friendly colleagues

I have worked for B&M for 11 1/2 years now, started as the pricer, worked through the stages and now a store manager.Always plenty of opportunities to progress within B&M.Had always got on well with each previous manager before me who helped me get where I am today. We have a fairness throughout the store, where we support one another very well. We have a team now where we work great together! Workload in store is easy, all supervisors are very approachable. Just had my first child, and my Area Manager has been excellent with me, and always has been. Could not rate B&M less than 5 stars.

Pros

flexibility with hours, 10% off all year round, usually lots of overtime.

Cons

pay for colleagues, no bonus to supervisors and managers below deputy.

Fun work place

It is a very good job if you like to be around Nice people and it is not complicated so it is easy to get jobs done. Costumers are polite most of the time.

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Working over Christmas

fun job

we have a very good manager.work is varied so not boring i love merchandising which i get to do a lot ofwe have a divers staff which can be good and badi love the busy nature of the work and the fact that we can voice our opinion and feel we are valued members of our team.sometime communication across the board can be a bit of an issue but on the whole it depends on the individual store and the colleagues that you work with.i have worked in two stores on big and the current smaller.both can be extremely busy and the differences are mainly stock grades

Pros

flexible work hours

Cons

pay

Great For Progression

No day is ever the same, as managers you have your daily jobs that need to be done but theres always something different. I belive that as a current empolyee we should be proud in the customer service we give our customers.Payrol vs Workload, sometimes is not realistic. This quite often means that the deadlines are not met. Also the pay, hour/contracts are not great for colleagues until you reach managment job roles then it slightly improves.Most enjoyable part of the job would be the colleagues/relationships that you make whilst working for the company. They have some fantastic colleagues. Whether thats in management or general assistants.B&M is great for progression you could start as a cleaner/xmas temp and 5 years down the line be a store manager. The learning and develop team do a fantastic job supporting this by step up courses and apprenticeships. Progression doesnt just need to happen in the store that you are first employeed at either theres plenty of opportunity to work at other stores in new job roles or there to support other stores such as new store opening etc.

Pros

progression, learning and devlopment, networking/colleagues

Cons

pay rate for colleagues, hours/contracts, payroll vs workload sometimes not realistic

Partly good and partly bad

I enjoy working for this company. The people are lovely to work with and were very welcoming when I joined. The only negative is the salary. The hours are very flexible as I go to college also.

Pros

Kind staff, flexible hours

Cons

The salary and I only get payed £4.66 an hour for hard work
  • B&M