B&M

B&M Employee Reviews

Found 3,268 reviews matching the search
I enjoy working at B&M Southport and think it’s filled with a great team of varied staff who have a lot to offer individually. The shift patterns differ however help is always offered when necessary. Knowing that many members of staff have worked here for a long period of time (some over 20 years) gives me confidence in knowing they understand the organisation and care for the team as well as the business. Though each shift differs, I think all staff have a job to do and should focus on their own priorities. I believe the team could work a bit more coherently to ensure we are working together effectively rather than individually at a lesser, disadvantaged pace; especially when being given job roles fairly- this is an issue with regard to varied efforts from team members.
Pros
Always something to get on with (constantly busy)
Cons
Differing levels of efforts from staff
Always have the threat of disciplinary action if not following B&M H&S protocols but transport still plan your day so long you have to go flat out all day, tip on break, cut H&S corners. And if you do it the correct and legal way and don’t complete the runs you are seen as a troublemaker and they try to push you out the door. No facilities on site, no meal allowance & lower pay than all the other depots. They expect you to max out your hours for no extra pay and go tramping in dirty fleet spec units. Trailers are extremely dirty inside to the point it’s dangerous, trailers loaded incorrectly & top heavy double deckers.
Pros
4 on 4 off shift pattern
Cons
Long hours, dirty trailers, incompetent transport planners
I guess it depends what store you have. The pay is bear minimum. And the management add/remove shifts without telling you. If you want something done you have to chase it up yourself and remind them about 4 times until they do it.
Pros
Paid break
Cons
Management take advantage and don’t tell you when they do things
I started my career here as a Christmas temp and was very excited to be kept on as it was one of the best working environments I’ve been a part of, staff & management are so friendly and has helped me improve on my confidence and other key skills. Looking forward to the future in seeing what this career brings
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Stressful at times
I love the fact that it’s a family run business and they care about the person you are and not just a number like other places I have worked, I also like the fact my managers are always training me in something new witch I love a challenge I just think that this the best job I have ever had and will be here for years to come
Pros
Half hour paid break and staff look after you
Cons
So far I feel like I have had the best start to b&m job as I've been put onto the retail apprenticeship which I am really happy to be given the opportunity
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
N/a
Easy to get a job here, inductions are very rushed could be better. Training for higher positions within the company always go well. Always an offer of moving up, plenty of chances within the business. Staff are friendly. Time expectations not always manageable and can be unrealistic. For how much work and stress you’ve to do the pay far from reflects this and is a bit of a slap in the face.
Pros
Secure job, always busy, friendly staff.
Cons
No free lunches. Pay. Stress
Always been very good with arranging the hours that suits my needs I've worked with B&M for 5 years now and still enjoy my job. I work on shop floor and love helping customers with there shopping. B&M always help out if you ever have problems management are very nice and caring people. They always let you get on with your jobs you have to do you can have fun and laugh with team members im very happy working for B&M and will still continue to.
Pros
The days and hours brillant that i do
Cons
Not that warm in warehouse.
I have worked for B&M for 7 years and worked my way up to Customer Service Manager. The company offers good progression opportunities.It's fast paced and stressful at times.
Pros
Progression
Cons
Pay
Working at B&M can be great if you are looking to progress with little experience within retail, as long as you are flexible, adaptable and hard working you will go far. Like in all jobs some days are harder than others, for example over Christmas when deliveries are every day and double the usual amount but on these days even management will step out of the office and help clear the warehouse if need be.
Pros
The Team
Cons
Long hours for minimal pay
A perfect company to work for, they treat staff very fair and very respectfully, Management were very kind and caring, and very understanding of any issues or problems their staff may have.
You get out what you put in at B&M . Company is open to new ideas and ways of working . Support is always on offer from store manager/area manager if needed .
Pros
Staff discount - freedom to retail
I have been at B&M for 15 years and I wouldn't work anywhere else it is fast paced and enjoyable, there are great opportunities for you to progress in the company. The store team are all very positive and supportive. Great company to work for.
Pros
progression and support at all levels
Can be a fast pace job due to busy times and days, but makes the shifts go faster. Management and staff are a great team and are always on hand to help when needed, I've had a tough year with mental health and the Management have been very understanding and helpful with helping me in the ways I needed, always feel part of the team.
Pros
10% discount, part of a team
I love working at b&m and enjoy the fast paced environment. The team are excellent and welcoming, a it’s a fun place to work. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Shift work
I have worked for b&m for 15 years within that time I have gone from a customer assistant and progressed to become a store manager. B&m is a very fast moving company and there is always something new to do. I have made many lifelong friends throughout my time with b&m. If you want to progress your career b&m is the company you need to work for.
Pros
Great opportunities
Have worked for B&M for 5 years now the opportunities to progress within the business are excellent. If you want to progress within retail B&M is the place to be. I have had great support from my store managers as well as my area manager. B&M is a fast paced environment but also a very enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Progression opportunities
Extremely busy working environment, the hours just fly by! It’s such a friendly company and we all have a laugh whilst we work. Would highly recommend working for them.
Pros
Friendly environment
I am enjoying my job with B&M. I saw this job as a stop gap but it has turned into a career. The days can be long but the rewards are good as we are encouraged to use our own initiative to drive sales.
Pros
Benefits and bonuses
Cons
Long hours and fast pace
Fast paced environment sometimes stressful but not that bad. I'm lucky to have a supportive mgmt who understands my work life balance. Always a chance to learn new things every day is a different day. Worked here two and a bit years now and look forward to seeing my future success with the company.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Lots of changes happen quickly
It's a really fast paced environment and there's always lots to do! Other colleagues here are lovely and helpful! The management are always helpful too! I work with my mum in the same store so it felt a lot easier to fit in and get along with everybody!
Pros
Always busy, lovely staff and management.
Cons
Can be a little stressful on weekends when it's most busy!
  1. Employee reviews