B&Q

B&Q Employee Reviews

Found 2,162 reviews matching the search
Featured review
B&Q selected this as a representative review
Without doubt B&Q was the best company I ever worked for. It grew my talent, encouraged my personal development, and at times pushed to my limit and beyond. I loved the couture and met and worked with some wonderful people. It wasn't always plain sailing, every career has its ups and downs, but the ups were fabulous. I worked there almost 20yrs in various management positions, it was a big part of my life, that I never regretted.
Official response from B&Q
27 January 2020
Thanks for your lovely, well balanced and honest review. So good to read that you enjoyed your 20 years with B&Q and experienced so much postivity. We truly wish you all the best for your next adventure!
Great for a bit of money as it’s a decent wage. Staff on my department were great, customers were friendly for the most part. Evening shifts can be slow especially due to lack of staff, but when the sun was out you knew it was going to be a busy day! Decent breaks. Good overtime in summer. However not a place to progress. Was chucked into the deep end due to insufficient training but eventually learnt on the job. Most managers are not great. Tight managerial circle don’t really listen to your issues and when they do it goes round in circles and doesn’t go anywhere. Managers are more bothered about pleasing higher managers. Major double standards between managers and staff. Certain departments didn’t pull their weight the way other departments did which was extremely unfair. Suggestions - perhaps a yearly questionnaire would have been great for staff to anonymously raise their concerns.
Pros
Decent breaks
Cons
Small managerial circle
my time at b&q was quite a long time ago i did a week long work trial from the jobcentre which covered all areas of the store but this led to a stock refill shift
Pros
handy for any diy needs
Cons
unsocial hours
I actually loved the job but the management at my store was terrible. then after i came out of hospital for a medical procedure i had to take time off and it was taken as unauthorised absences and annual leave. (in the handbook you are allowed "special leave" relating to miscarriages etc) and the management were very poor at treating me with respect on this matter
Pros
SOME friendly staff, local
Cons
bad management, not very compassionate, drama in the workplace
It’s a great place to work for the right person, that person has to be a sycophant, act like doby and must have an opinion that matches your managers.they seem to take people on to sack at the first moment you express an opinion. Hard work dosent get rewards but being a sycophantic person gets you premonition. Good luck xx
Pros
20% discount card
Cons
Bad man management
If u enjoy a life outside of work and don't want to be expected to work 14 hour shifts then seek employment elsewhere. Nothing you do is good enough they just expect more and more
Pros
Made good friends
Cons
Long hours and unappreciated
Absolutely loved my time here. Hard work is expected but they really take care of you. Biggest regret is ever leaving there, but change of personal circumstances warranted it at the time. Anyone who gets to work there is lucky but expect to be busy.
Pros
Amazing cafe, staff looked after by management, good pay and benefits
Cons
Busy from start to finish
I would NEVER recommend working there at all I worked there from May till feb, horrible managers, store manager was a nasty man colleagues would snipe behind your back make you feel uncomfortable working there Managers never listen to you with concerns The job had good days and bad, mostly bad towards the end of it shift patterns all over the place never knew what I was doing from week to week, Rumours made up never looked into properly by any of the managers Never again!
Cons
Very high pressured & stressful environment for minimum wage not enjoyable to work for... management are awful no understanding whatsoever and no chance of work/life balance. No understanding of childcare etc
Pros
Cons
No work/life balance
If you have any medical conditions I do not think this is the place for you, I was constantly in trouble due to having to go to the doctors and although I only had 3 times off within a year I was fired on the spot. This was with a 2 doctors notes for 2 of the occasions saying I was unfit to work for a week. I also had no social life and even tho I was on a 16 hour contract was working 30/40 hours a week on top of my college course. I had no free time and when I asked to have my overtime cut back they refused because I knew what I was doing and needed to do my job. They people were amazing but The management lacked and you are treated like you are a spec of dust in the world, not like a human. There’s good things and bad things but personally I would not recommend working there.
Pros
Friendly people, lots of overtime
Cons
Long hours, not listened to, treated like you are not human.
Management and the work colleagues are very approachable and helpful, work life balance,they do understand the importance of family life and will work with you to give that quality time with family. I have been working there for nearly four years and still having a really great time working. I would recommend B&Q as an amazing place to work.
Pros
An hour luch break and greatvwork environment
Cons
B&Q i found to be a fair employer with competitive salary, good discount and as a manager you can set the tone of your team and make it a productive and enjoyable work place..
Pros
Tradesman contacts
Cons
Can be demanding kpi and p, l's
Have been working here for a while now, the managers at my store are really open, helpful, kind easy going, while still keeping the store in a really good place. All the colleuges are supportive of eachother and support you when needed. The salary is great compared to other places and I have received bonuses previously. The interview was one on one for me but is usually a group interview and was some questions about me, and just a general conversation, which really broke the ice, and built that first initial 'relationship'.
Pros
Flexible and good management
I worked at B&Q for 16 years nightshift.I worked at Nursling, Cadtlepoint and Poole warehouses. I was made redundant in 2018.Overall I enjoyed working there. There is heavy lifting involved and you need to be quite fit as you are on feet all the time and there is a lot of walking around.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Cold in winter especially if working outside.
Management manipulative and fake. They would throw you under the bus to protect themselves when they’re in the wrong. Showrooms culture very toxic
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rubbish management
After 11 years at b&q I learnt a lot staff were very friendly and the management were approachable if I could I would do my time again at b&q still go and visit the staff from time to time
Pros
Flexible working hours
After being out of work for 16yrs to bring up my children it was daunting starting work. However I could not have been more supported & encouraged by my colleagues & managers. Been with B&Q for over a year now and already been moved from till op to tradepoint & started an apprenticeship too. Being a single mum they have been fantastic with making sure my shifts work around my home life & I can always talk to any of the managers if I have any issues at all. Its like a little family at our store, we all help each other day to day.
Pros
Staff Discount, supportive management, ability to progress
Working at B&Q was a new experience for me as my previous work entailed mainly the food industry. It was a very diverse job, with the multitude of different departments in B&Q it was an opportunity for me to learn a thing or two about home DIY. Overall, a really good job.
Pros
discount code after working there for 3 months
Cons
timetabling of shifts was irregular making it difficult to book days off
The departments act like their separate entities, the compete against each other instead of working with each other.Management could be better, but only certain people, as with any job.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
You can lose holidays way to easy
The management helped me get the best out of the job when I was there I loved it I had leave due to having a baby if I could do it again I would it's just now I have a child I need different hours the whole experience was fun
Pros
Cheap and very nice
Cons
Shift work A & B
Great place to work, lovely team of people! Treated you as a person not just a number. Helped me alot with some personal issues whilst I worked for them, very supportive. Would def recommend working here.
  1. Employee reviews