B&Q
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

B&Q Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,455 reviews

Found 2,455 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,554 reviews

Good place to work, friendly staff

Can be stressful at peak times, a lot to learn for new starters depending on which department you're on, health & safety is a big priority. Friendly staff with down to earth managers, a good first job to get used to customer service.

Fun and relaxed

Great staff great work, weekend work and late shifts is the only downside. Relaxed most of the time with another busy times to keep you going through.

Insights into B&Q

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Politics

Ever changing management team. Once you're comfortable in your role a new deputy starts and tries ten different ways to do things before realising the way you did it was right. Then repeat. Beware new starters as the 3 month fixed term is exactly that. You start with a view to extending but they let your 3 months run out and rehire the next group and repeat.

Pros

Tea bags but no milk

Cons

Ever changing rota, very political.

Management are terrible

Bully Management are the worst Boring job Makes you do other people jobs Hardly no training Store in general is ran badDo not recommend if you suffer with mental health

Cons

company is purely about profit and not customers

A poorly managed company who has little regard for its workforce. it is vastly underfunded and impossible with the level of staff to achieve its stated goals. the managers receive an annual bonus some of it based on wage savings by staff.

Bullying Culture

* Low pay* Walking around on your feet for 8 hours a day is hard work* Hire anyone, expect them to be 'experts' on 1000s of products and DIY techniques* Your hours of preference will be ignored* Access to favourable hours restricted to 'veteran' staff* Staff only stay out of desperation/money worries* Controlling and bullying atmosphere* No respect for the individual/their needs

long

Love working for this company. Truly feels like working with a family. Good pay, Good staff, always new things to learn and constant mental stimulation to make the shifts go quicker.

Productive place to work

I was welcomed by the team members in my section. I enjoyed working in my aisle and getting it up to spec. Enjoyed working with customers helping them find what they were looking for. Thought I'd found my forever job, unfortunately my fixed term contract was terminated early due to business needs.

Pros

Great hours, good team mates.

Cons

Contract terminated early!

Friends at work was the only perk

Working here was exciting to start with. But then you start noticing that management have their favourites. If you aren’t one of them or you have other dreams you want to pursue and not work there for the rest of your life, then you get treated different. I wanted full time hours as I was struggling financially and couldn’t have a second job alongside, I was denied due to wanting to pursue a veterinary career in future. They then created a full time job for someone else in my department.

Best place

Pros

everything

Cons

Holidays can be tricky

Unhelpful managers

The people were great, management were horrendous. I was given an overtime shift I never agreed to that was completely out of my availability that management had a copy of. I was college student at the time and was supposed to be in class at the time. When I asked for the overtime to be taken off I was told by management that I either turned up for the shift or it would be treated as a no call no show. This wasn’t the first experience I had with unhelpful management. It was a constant battle for managers to listen to you and they didn’t care about you at all.Other people I worked with were brilliant however.

Pros

People

Cons

Management, no care for people

Poor employer

A typical Tory greed machine. Minimum wage culture! Work every other weekend for normal time. Never enough time to do everything they ask you to do. High stress job.

Pros

It is a job

Cons

Low wages, poor work life balance and work weekends for normal time.

Great team members, extremely poor management

Unfortunately this company (chesterfield store in particular) hire people on a 3 month temp contract and tell you everything is perfect but they systematically let people go just before their 3 month contract end. Not only do you not get a discount til after 3 months (typical) they also only give you super limited hours such as 4-8…

Very good company just wish they cared more development wise and earnings aren't the best.

Low contract hours during winter Loved working seasonal department, funny hard working staff, managers tad lazy wanted alot from colleagues, pay needs looking at and rewards too.

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Pay

Great place to get a start and learn who you are.

Great place with a competitive starting wage. A good place to learn a lot about how a business operates and make steady progression if you have the drive and mind for it. Slightly bogged down by rushed decisions and old systems means the further up the leader you go the slower everything seems to become. Management is helpful sometimes, however they can become very centred on themselves not ever willing to sacrifice to help other departments.

Pros

Competitive starting wage. Quick progression. Good team

Cons

Mixed hours. Weekend Work. Messy management culture

Good company.

Overall very positive experience. Work/life balance is taken seriously, and its a very grown up environment to work in. Dont feel as if Im being micro managed.

Pros

Work from home, pension.

Cons

Low base salary.

Reasonable job for part time

It’s a decent minimum wage type role. The staff have mostly been there for a long time so actually know what they are talking about and have genuine knowledge in regards to DIY

Stressful

Always short staffed. Expect the staff they do have to work extra hard to make up for this. Management stays in the office when they could be helping the team instead.

Pros

Discount

Cons

No staff

Great

Job was amazing great staff great management unfortunately I store closed down but best team and company I have ever worked for it’s just a shame the store closed

not a nice place to work

most managers have a chip on their shoulder . most employees dont go out their way to make you feel part of the team. I was only there 3-4months and left due to the heavy work. If your not young and physically fit dont go for a picking job, its hard going, 40 slabs one pick 20 packs of tiles the next and if you dont pick fast enough you get pulled in the office to get a bo***cking.

Pros

Cons

discount at screwfix as part of same group

It used to be a good company to work for

It used to be an enjoyable place to work but now all they care about is pushing as many club cards as possible, staff are unhappy, stressed out and most want to get new jobs

Cons

Nagged and forced to get club cards

Ask a question about working or interviewing at B&Q. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement