B&Q

B&Q Employee Reviews

Found 2,190 reviews matching the search
Featured review
B&Q selected this as a representative review
Without doubt B&Q was the best company I ever worked for. It grew my talent, encouraged my personal development, and at times pushed to my limit and beyond. I loved the couture and met and worked with some wonderful people. It wasn't always plain sailing, every career has its ups and downs, but the ups were fabulous. I worked there almost 20yrs in various management positions, it was a big part of my life, that I never regretted.
Official response from B&Q
27 January 2020
Thanks for your lovely, well balanced and honest review. So good to read that you enjoyed your 20 years with B&Q and experienced so much postivity. We truly wish you all the best for your next adventure!
Amazing job! Was given a 6 month contract hopefully turning permanent! But our B&Q made the most money during lockdown so could afford to hire more staff. 3 weeks into the job from April 19th I have been made redundant because lockdown is coming to an end & they’re not making as much money. That would of been completely obvious for any normal person to see but not B&Q! The staff was brilliant! In just 3 weeks I made some amazing friends! I actually enjoyed going to work! It was lovely! Management was also amazing! Friendly! Helpful & always on hand when you need them! I know it wasn’t their fault I had to be let go! Overall working for B&Q personally was a great job! Great pay & good hours! I just would of liked a permanent job
Pros
Breaks friendly staff great management good pay
Cons
Heads of B&Q
There is not enough to do when not serving customers, except clean your till area. The pay is low but there is not much pressure. The staff are mostly friendly and approachable. Free uniform is nice, including shoes you are given everything you need. If you work just 4hrs you get a paid 15 min break during that short shift.
Pros
Free uniform, 20% discount after 3 months
Cons
Low pay
I gave this company 11 years. You are treated as just a number. No compassion or caring for individuals. The way I’ve heard management speak of staff is shocking. They pay no value on your experience, they don’t care about ideas for improvement. It’s their way or the highway. You conform and shut your mouth or you’re out. Take a job at B&Q if you want your personality removed and the life you once had sucked away. Sounds dramatic but this is what they want.
Pros
You get a uniform. Only 2 sets within 12 months though
Cons
Back to back shifts. Work every xmas and bank holiday. No appreciation. Had many pay cuts.
Was given a 3 month contract,was let go after a month,only employed too help the store win the national awards and for the managers too get their bonuses then let go after the inspectstion was completed due too loss of sales even though the 3 weekends I was there was the busiest period of the year.i was also ill for 1 day and they wrote down 2 days and the team leader was very sacracastic about his comment,impossible too be ill unless you are seriously ill
Pros
Cons
No flexibilty, money grabbers
Management are lost and impersonal now. Company changing to much they have become cluttered and lost.Sores are a mess and it isn't a nice environment to work and no Air-con in the store i worked in. Terrible website that causes most if not all of the customer grief.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Stressful Cluttered Mess
I really enjoyed the work itself. I always had plenty to get on with and loved helping customers. The training was fast paced and thorough. The one thing I did find however is that a lot of the staff were difficult to work with. My manager is known to be unliked by everyone and made my time there unbelievably stressful causing me to have several panic attacks at the thought of having to work along side her. Most of the staff gossips and spreads lies and the entire atmosphere was just toxic. You have no life outside of work. The rotas are a total mess, you barely know when you are meant to be in and when you are in you never know when you can go on break.I don't recommend working at this store in particular.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Toxic Atmosphere
got manipulated into a different position i applied, was drowned in being pushed toward a pushy salesman even when we were in a global pandemic and people were struggling for jobs and money i was still provided to push out thousands pounds worth of sales(weekly). was unlawfully dismissed and overpowered by management and wormed into not being able to go against it due to laws n rules.
Pros
breaks + lunch + discount
Cons
short hours, managers
Longest that I've worked anywhere (14 years). Part-time evening hours suit me around a day job.Hourly rate is over national minimum.Have made good friends amongst my colleagues.Not micro-managed and trusted to get on with work.Managers are approachable and reasonably easy-going.
Pros
Good friends as colleagues
Cons
Physically hard work sometimes
Great colleaguesIneffective management clique if not in the clique forget itRotas inflexibility ,head office produced so no private life part timers expected to work 5 days X 4 hours split days and no rotation just random early, middle,lateCould be great if training given and clique Management retrained...but previous well paid positions now same job is expected from paying basic minimum X no training X no recognition to new recruits...
Pros
Helpful colleagues
Cons
Rotas and lack of formal training
Been a loyal employee and have out of the blue been messed about and told I will have to move somewhere else due to my availability. They brag about work life balance but behind closed doors they make it difficult for employees with children or other commitments outside of work. Its as if they are pushing you to leave to see which is more important to you home life or work. There is no balance they want work to come first always
Pros
Shop floor staff
Cons
Management are sly
They promise the earth at you interview but give you nothing when you except a permanent contract , some floor managers are well power crazy and are not good at problem solving Get rid of the chiefs and the Indians will do ok 😂 especially at the Chester branch
Pros
Good holiday scheme
Cons
Rota shifts need looking at
I worked for B&Q for over 2 years at multiple stores and I have found that they all share the same issues. The management don’t seem to know a screw from a tack nor can they organise a party up in a brewery. Managers do not communicate with one another so there will be times you’ll get moaned at for something you were asked to do. There is not a lot of support given when dealing with complaints etc. you are highly likely to have to deal with your departments complaints as management are very good at dumping issues into staff to avoid the hassle of dealing with it.
Pros
20% discount, occasional rewards (£50 Asda voucher for working during COVID)
Cons
Long hours, poor management, not COVID compliant, lack of support.
Okay while your young as the wage is not too bad when you don’t have responsibilities to pay out on .I tried to move up the ladder go somewhere but management chew and spit you out very little encouragement.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Non flexible hours
I worked in the showrooms teams to design kitchen. There is no commission which is fine and it's promoted as a non sales job. The salary too is not in line with industry standard. But you have targets to make each week, the pressure to approach every customer is intense. The managers only see pound signs and will do what is needed to get money In the till even at the detriment to the customer experience. The managers never get their hands dirty either or help out. The store managers are so intense too and always want more money no matter the risk it puts to the staff. The store is a pressure cooker and you will only do well if you are flavour of the month. It has some good things but be prepared an intense ride.
Pros
Good team work and culture
Cons
Sales targets in a non sales role
Good holiday and bonus schemes, unsociable shifts but can all be reasonable dependant in the unit manager and how much they want to micromanageSome good people but a lot have we moved on
Pros
Holiday allowances, good pension and bonus
Cons
Shifts and some very outdated management methods
As some have already eluded to, the longer serving staff were forced to take pay cuts when the ‘living wage’ came in. The staff pay was, and is absolute joke, but conditions gradually worsened too. Not enough staff doing too many jobs, and the managers were no help because they were absolutely petrified of the managers above them and would rarely stick up for their own people.Forklift drivers took all the risk and responsibilities for an extra 15 pence an hour. The number of people I saw get disciplined or dismissed for minor infractions on the forklifts was shocking, sometimes it was warranted, but a lot of the time it was unfair given the pressurised working conditions. As a follow-up to that I often got the impression that certain manager's derived some kind of pleasure from being involved in such formal proceedings & dismissals. Towards the end of my time there they started rolling out ‘flexible & temporary’ contracts, which saw staff working any night of the week for as long as they were needed. This young lad asked when he was working at the weekend, he was told: it all depends how much we take during Saturday trading, if we have a good day you can have a full shift. After 10 years I was that annoyed with the place that I was just looking for an excuse to leave, when they gave me one, I finally woke up, left, and found a 'real job' with a proper company that doesn’t pay poverty wages.
Pros
The staff were a great bunch & 99.9 % of the customers were nice
Cons
Poverty wages - vindictive managers - overworked - zero progression for hard workers
I was part time at 2 stores, 2 years apart on each of them and so much bad happened here that wasn’t supposed to,Only retail store that hasn’t got a employee care (for reason),This means if anything happens in the company to an employer that’s unfair they can always get away with itStaff there only look out for higher management and not SA level staffI’m 21 and have back pains, They exert younger workers. Especially uni workers to ‘over work’ if they are not they replace them very quickly,I could go on... but I won’t.
Pros
Discounts and people you interact with
Cons
Hard hours, lacking in recognition. Mainly a by the rules business so... no hard feelings
The same as any retail work, customers and or colleagues can be very challenging.Also they have shop within a shop which means that although you work for B&Q you may work in decor or showrooms etc. Which has positives and negatives, positive is that you have a team just for a section and a manager of that section which can help with bonding. However this can also be seen as they do not have to help out in other depts or work as a whole for B&Q, so if you have some areas short staffed it can cause issues. The hardest part of the job is other people, you can be completely focussed, be on top of your game and ready to help and you get that one person who can change your day.The most enjoyable can be helping someone and achieving what you needed to do that day.Unfortunately workplace culture is not at its best, there is a lot of finger pointing and blame associated throughout the staff from senior managers down.
Pros
20% off goods
Cons
You get paid the same, if you know all there is to know or if you have just walked in the job and know nothing
The Manager was nice and helpful Staff lovely. I had every other weekend off so sometime to spend with my family. I was only at BQ on a temporary contract. You have to do two late nights per week. It was busy most of the time, even on the quite times I managed to find things to do, as I enjoy being busy.
I’m high risk and have a letter from the nhs about being off for 12 weeks and I got fired for not calling in everyday while I was sick and was self isolating because I had al the covid-19 symptoms. Management try to over work you for what you are getting paid, for example being a customer advisor and having to teach staff, getting staff to do work when your not a supervisor while the supervisors would stand at the burger van and do nothing. With having the promise of getting a chance to progress but it was all filled with empty promises
Pros
Some staff were lovely
Cons
Bad management
  1. Employee reviews