BAE Systems

BAE Systems Employee Reviews

United Kingdom608 reviews

Found 608 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,011 reviews
schemeflexitimedefenceflexipensionprogressionaircraftshare

Steady work, never rushed but keeps you going

Great name to have behind you on any CV from an apprenticeship point of view, many places will see the name and be impressed and will probably expect you to have done more than you actually have on the apprenticeship. Very relaxed work environment and could always have a chat and a laugh with colleagues. Salary for an apprentice was very good when I went through as was earning more in the last year of my apprenticeship than in either of the 2 jobs I moved onto following my completion of the apprenticeship. Company is very health and safety driven and makes sure everything is done by the book meaning you can feel confident you won’t be asked to do anything that will be a danger to yourself or anyone else. Great company benefits and if it’s still going advise anyone going there to sign up to the employee shares scheme, great way to get money behind you for a later date.

Slow paced

Very slow paced and takes too long to perform any job, the work itself is very easy however the workload is that little that you find yourself clock watching all day.

Pros

Share scheme

Cons

Unorganized

Insights into BAE Systems

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Stressful

Reasonably good pay, but believe me, you'll earn every last penny of your salary as management will squeeze every ounce of work out you and you'll go home exhausted every night. This is why they give you Fridays off. You'll need three days to recover from your 4 days at work. You'll need to feel comfortable about working at speed. This is not the job for anyone who likes to take their time and work at a slow pace.

Brilliant place.

Its genuinely the best place I've worked, you get treated really well by process leaders too. You can book hrs off or holidays at short notice....The people who work there are brilliant too...

Pros

Hours, holidays, work, people

Bae

Overall a good place to work.Has some minor kinks to work through as most places.General staff get treated well and there is progression if your face fits.

Pros

Salary

Productive and inclusive workplace

Enjoyed the work, covering the whole of the process for land systems. Interesting to work with partner companies and deal with cross national interests and ways of operating.

Suffering mental health. Horrible management. Employees stabbing knives in behind your back.

No understanding from team leaders their people skills are awfulHealth problems are disrespected and discriminated against , adjustments arent made or listened too at all so welfare is lax , not good enough Unfair treatment & prison like behaviour cant step out of line or they make you feel rubbish and badmouth you label you too other people can’t make mistakes so everyone gossips & stabs you in the back. Management is patronising and will go to any length to upset you in workOffices are miserable Unfair expectations of people when they know your individual circumstances Your watched like a hawk

Pros

Pay after working up the ladder is good

Cons

Uncomfortable, Bad management, some horrible people, gang culture in bullying unhealthy working culture, discrimination

Varied work but depressing enviroment

Benefits BAE Systems attracts employees due to the benefits of working there. These include: High wages, job security (contracts until 2050), integrated degree and the company car policy. However, these are the only benefits! Management From the moment I entered this company, I realised management only care about themselves and most of the time you are left to figure problems out on your own. This frequently made me feel unmotivated. People Workers within this organisation are generally miserable and this atmosphere is very draining. Day to day work I frequently did business admin work not project management. One of my roles involved being a scribe... LocationBarrow-in-furness is not a good place to live. If you are a young person you will struggle finding anything interesting to do. 30 miles to the lake district is not exactly 'a stones throw away'OverallI left this organisation and it is the best decision I ever made. Trust me, this place is not worth your mental health.

Hard work, with lots of responsibility, but a great team

Been here for six months.Very supportive team. Great communication with my boss and chain of command.You do have to work hard for your pay, no doubt about that.But I have a level of autonomy about how I carry out my work. My team genuinely appreciate my expertise, and we work well together and complement each others skill sets.Supportive with home working and travel.Training opportunities once you get in the door are good.

Pros

Excellent team. Interesting work, feel like I'm making a genuine contribution.

Cons

Poor office environment, but not an issue.

Good place to work but salary below market value

Good place to work but salary well below market value. Very old technology - depends what project you are on.A good company to use as a stepping stone onto something better.

Excellent

Awesome place to work Great terms and conditions Great support from my team Management excellent and very down to earth Wish I was here 20 years ago Sorry to leave after an excellent year

Bully culture

Bully culture and ble culture, no team work and contractors are not liked either, on a positive note the projects are good, better management is required

Average company with jobs for mates

Pay is average to below market rate for comparable roles and industryVery unstable work environment with regular redundancies - mostly due to management not being able to resource manageLoads of people Suddenly found to be in new roles that were never advertised or that had been awarded before it was advertisedGreat products that do wonders for our armed forces, but a lot of waste and very poor management that results in increased costs and lost contracts

There is a strong bullying culture at this place

Bullying in the workplace is rife at this place due to the long hours and repetitive work on the shop floors. The management do not care about their workforce

Very poor practice and structure

Working here is a huge challenge. The 12 week probation period can take up to a year. Wages are not payed to new starters. Management are powerless to do anything (apart from disciplines). They have some serious GDPR issues due to insufficient systems and employee log ons. Employees are forced to break contractual agreements. The site has minimal security and employees are made to act as premise's security. Management are office based and never hands on, which is a positive. The site runs on minimal staff, Not many people want to work here as competition warehouses are much better payed and structured. You are also expected to buy your own PPE and uniform.

Pros

Easy work, few nice staff, relaxed and chilled

Cons

Expensive to work for, Feels unsafe and lacking security, having to share systems, emails, and log ons due to management not having the power to do much.

Ok

Bae Systems is OK, but, it's slow paced and suited more to those people who aren't massively driven to succeed. It's a comfy job that will likely consume your entire life as you'll never leave

Pros

Ok Pay

Cons

Low Progression

Hard Place to work in

Management can tell you what to do at anytime and you are supposed to jump hoops for them when asked terrible people and terrible place and feels like the whole place is stuck in the past

Cons

Helpful company with a focus on their employees

BAE look after their employees, provide a good collaborative environment. The only negative is the HR system is slow and unhelpful. Good benefits and relaxed environment make it a good place to work.

Average company that dont provide adequate support

The company barely provided me any training in the 2 years I was there and expected me to get on with things that I had no clue about. This was really stressful at times especially with a pandemic and everyone being busy on phones.

Pros

salary (decent), work life balance

Cons

poor management, poor training .

Slow paced and a bit boring

Not a great place to work. More of a case that your face fits, rather than aptitude.Management style is very ad hoc. And no real direction.Day to day management is lax you can just drift along .

Pros

Bonus, share scheme

Good job security. Poor pay

Good job security, basically a job for life. Poor pay. No real progression unless you move teams or backfill someone. Interesting and diverse projects to work on. A lot of smart people to learn from, but also a lot of sycophancy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement