BAE Systems

BAE Systems Employee Reviews

Good processes bad management, very old school directorship, very fit in to that or leave, no real opportunity to progress unless you are head huntedPay is always less than male counterparts
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Don't believe people working home are actually working
Never felt my job was secure for many years before I was made redundant. The mangement don't care about their employees they are just a number. Good wages.
If you want a slow and stressful place to work with a attitude that is silo working than this is the place.Most.of the staff are from barrow and hate working there, but don't have the confidence to leave.My favourite sayings areOne day closer to death and there are only 2 place like this, here and prison.I worked there until I could not take anymore and after suffering with depression for several years I managed to pluck up the courage to leave.
If you are confused about the differing opinions across the other reviews an important thing to know is that the culture, workload and attitudes vary greatly depending on what function you work in, and what bit of the business you are sat in. Truly different sections of a single building floor can have a very different culture.I've worked in finance at Warton in a variety of roles across a number of programmes over the last 15 years or so and you can pretty much toss a coin each time you move to decide whether it's going to be great or unrelenting misery - this is usually determined by the chain of management you will fall under.Some management are great, will try and shield you from all the internal politics and let you do your job. Some will throw you under a bus. Or take kudos from how much work they can squeeze out of the smallest number of people. Bad managers get reassigned, not pushed out the door so one teams rescue is another teams downfall.To work here in the finance function and survive you need to be very sure of yourself, very emotionally robust and able to cope with middle management firmly entrenched in internal politics. The weak or sensitive struggle to survive. If you can cope with all that it can be great.Staff quote: "we achieve great results despite everything the company does to try and stop us".
Pros
Interesting and mentally challenging work available
Cons
Internal politics. Some areas have shockingly bad management.
The Company & Product is impressive and looks good and interesting to outsiders; the pay and benefits also very good especially the Shares Scheme. Having come from an employment world of redundancies I worked hard in higher education to qualify myself for a career in this blue chip multi corporation. Alas once in I haven't got anywhere despite hard work and successful efforts to improvements; zero appreciation, zero recognition, zero support to improve one’s self worth, in fact the total opposite feeling deliberately held back. Same level colleagues are fantastic, some very clever hardworking and kind people within the business; we pull together very well, having to due to terribly poor middle management up to executive level who have no experience, knowledge and worse still, drive and ability to learn; often career hopping from one position to another with no loyalty to the job they took on. A real shame to know what really goes on behind closed doors. Ideal to coast and ride the gravy train to retirement whether you want to or not. Personal opinion to ultimate management failure - Project Managers, the latest fashion of the decade that could quite possibly eventually run the multinational aerospace into the ground.
Pros
Annual pay increase, Shares Scheme, Flexibility to work life balance. Cool and interesting products.
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Executives, Too many Project Managers, Career Blockers, No Management Loyalty, Regular Management Career Hopping, Regular Re-Structures of Organisation always for the worse.
Best engineering experience I personally have ever got. I learnt more in BAE Systems then I learnt in school. I would strongly recommend applying here but to get a job is very difficult.
Pros
Lunchtime and staff
Cons
Management complete waste of time. Shop floor treated like idiots. If you can do your job then you won't be promoted. Only the idiots get promoted. Management do not have a clue about how things are actually made. They play god with peoples lives. The office staff are in their own little bubble. How BAE makes money I have no idea.
Pros
Some good colleagues to work with.
Cons
The management
Absolute herendouse place to work it has the reputation of being the worst shipyard in the UK to work in and this reputation is justified .The supervisors and management have a work ethic of bullying .intimadation and treat the magority of the men who are sub-contractors as second class citizens
Pros
Good canteen facilities
Cons
Supervisors and management
I was there for 5 years the first 3 years ok then a Management change. Terrible after that , no communication. After 5 years no offer of a full term contract even after working in 3 different areas and training work colleagues.
Pros
None worth mentioning.
Cons
If you are not in the inner circle you have no chance of overtime.
Working on the shop floor simply isn't worth it: Poor management, limited opportunities for growth. Shop floor staff are plainly treated differently than office staff, despite often sharing workspaces: Shop floor staff have less flexibility of hours, they just clock in and out, and clock on to every job. Office staff do also have to book their time to jobs, but there is a culture of them fluffing their hours and rounding up time spent to avoid doing more work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Limited growth
UI worked for BAE Systems for a number of years in different companies and countries. They offer great rewards and opportunities. The work place is dynamic and the technology is cutting edge.I enjoyed being part of a big team and leading Programmes
Pros
Performance bonus and opportunity to improve, learn and grow
Fundamentally it's a great place to work if you're settled, know what you want to do and are happy to work on one or two projects in an entire career. The company offers a lot of opportunities locally and internationally which is also great.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Process where it doesn't belong
good communitive skills/health and safety,Health and safetys brilliant, Always backed up via team leader. Experienced workers around you with excellent knowledge/advice.
Pros
shifts
Cons
Progression
Loved my job, nice people, relaxed and happy attitudes towards work and colleagues, we all hit our targets so happy employees, happy management. I’d recommend working here.
Pros
Great vibe
Cons
Can’t think of any
Relaxed environment to work in. Good at flexible working. The most enjoyable part is working half day on fridays. Too many family members working in the company so one has to be careful what you say.
Pros
half day on fridays.Flexible working
Cons
too relaxed
I was only present in an internship role, but from my experience it was an enjoyable experience, as I learned much about the company and what it takes to work there
The company is ok to work for. The job is stable and they pay wages on time. It is a business that is slow to react and the culture is behind the curve.
A great experience working on such a prestigious project. The culture was excellent and BAE have great people working for them. They are very focused on training and there are plenty of careers opportunities
Good working conditions but team leader wasn't a hands on and let others get away with standing around talking for half hour or more while other team workers carry on working trying to keep the work orders moving.
This was a fast paced role. Plans would often change very late meaning you had to be adaptable and able to problem solve. This I see as a positive and would now feel comfortable in any working enviroment.
Worst experience in my career. Awful culture with no leadership and support from Managers. Stressful and workload is not manageable. The company is not interested in making improvements or taking suggestions.
  1. Employee reviews