Bakkavor
Happiness score is 42 out of 100

Bakkavor Employee Reviews

United Kingdom714 reviews

Least stressful job I've ever had.

Featured review

Bakkavor selected this as a representative review
Application process quick and easy. Offered an interview the same day I applied: the next day interview with leaf manager, called 20mins after interview and offered the job. Worked as leaf prep operative for 6 months and was then offered Training for semi skilled operative. The people are easy to get on with and always helpful. Pay is reasonable and overtime is nearly always available if you want it. Section leaders always available if you need anything and very approachable. After working in hospitality and the care sectors, working as a collation Operative is by far the least stressful work I've ever done and finishing at 1pm means I still have the afternoon to do whatever I wish.

13 April 2022
Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience working for Bakkavor. Your feedback is really appreciated.

No enough staff

It is an okay place to work but it’s Very demanding under staffed breaks are short. You do not get treated fairly. Money is okay. chargehands there is one who reports everything back to management but the rest are ok depending on what area you work.

Insights into Bakkavor

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

Qa

Position an job role wasn’t as explained it was more QC also the money was low compared to all other QAs hence leaving the company some people in the offices were very engaging and motivating but unfortunately some managers were not that help full. They didn’t have the time or want to put in the effort to help progress but can’t be said for all managers as some want others to do well.

27 June 2022
Thank you for your honest feedback. We really appreciate it as it helps us to address our issues and make improvements.

Too much work, too little pay

48 hours isn’t too much of a hassle to do per week but it was the sheer fact that it was 12 per day and sometimes a few days in a row. I had to cut it down to 36 for me just because I had no way of getting home, have a meal and shower in time before needing to sleep for the shift the next day. My shifts were either from 5:30am-5:30pm or 6am-6pm, making me leave my house a hour before that making me have to drive in the dark on a Moped, it wasn’t the safest or ideal way of transport but it was all I had.I only had the job for a couple months before getting let off by a mistake of the agent who told me I needed to do this test assignment at Peterborough which it wasn’t in Peterborough. I was annoyed but at that point, I was kind of happy that I was free from it all.It wasn’t the best place honestly. No place to put my belongings, hours were too much, felt super disconnected from the rest of the crew as they all spoke in their language and most of the time I wasn’t needed at times so I was just let off early. Comparing this job to my previous one and the one I have now, this was a nightmare.

Pros

2 30 minute breaks, free parking, weekly pay.

Cons

Cleaning, taking off/putting on work gear was included in your break (so you had 15 minute breaks honestly), not a lot of people speak English, not ideal if you don’t live 5 minutes away, was minimum pay (2019), no free locker (you were meant to get one).

27 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review about your time with Bakkavor. Although our environment is fast-paced and high pressured, we appreciate your feedback as it will help us make changes to improve our colleagues' experience.

Poor management and stressful environment , but continental shifts are brilliant

Holbeach Pizza has been always a challenging place to work, but during the last few years of management rotations, I found that particular bakkavor factory, is one of the worst. If you have a choice go to Spalding and avoid Holbeach.

Pros

Continental shifts

Cons

Poor management

27 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We're really sorry to hear about your poor experience and would like to find out more, so we can make your time at Bakkavor more positive. If you are happy to share further details, please email your concerns to careers@bakkavor.com.

Everything depends on people surrounding you. If you land working with good team job is fine. Good atmosphere. Low temperatures in packing/packaging areas.

23 June 2022
Hi there. Thank you for taking to time to share your experience. We appreciate your feedback.

Demanding environment

Management very demanding, doesn't listen to employees.Lots of politics and managers just follow leadership blindly. Don't treat employees or their customers with the right amount of respect.

23 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Our working environment is fast-paced and high pressured. One of our core values is respect and trust for each other. If you or anyone you know has been treated unfairly at Bakkavor, please email careers@bakkavor.com with more information so we can look into this further.

Not a happy place to work

Want to do the work of three people and get payment of one and get 2 twenty minutes breaks that you don't get paid for and pushed to the limit then that's the job for you

Pros

Cons

You will be lucky to get ot on time

27 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Our working environment is fast-paced and high pressured, but there’s plenty of challenges, teamwork, and variety. We want working at Bakkavor to be a positive experience for everyone. If you are happy to share further details about your experience to help us make improvements, we would really appreciate it. Please email careers@bakkavor.com.

L o l

Can't say much, it's good during the winter time but during the summer... Rules are just doesn't exist. They've turned us to numbers and we're getting underpaid for the job we do. New starters don't want to learn and still getting paid the same as people with years of experience

27 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your time at our Bo'ness site. We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience and have passed your comments on to the local HR team.

Stressful and unpleasant

The management is very poor. There's a lack of training, a lack of instruction, a lack of communication and often a lack of respect.Out of all the jobs I've had this is the most stressful. As a packer on the production line, the job is very fast. Each product has a standard pace of packs per minute but it usually runs at around 150% or faster to get as much as possible out of the staff without a care for the exhaustion and stress of the staff while a manager stands staring at everyone.I've seen some packs of product going through to dispatch with ingredients missing because it's too fast for some people on the line to keep up.New staff get criticised for not being fast enough to keep up with the line.Rather than offer guidance and instructions, charge-hands and managers often shout at staff who are unsure what to do - especially during cleaning, for which no training is given. Some charge-hands and managers are quite pleasant but they too offer no guidance.There are no set break times and we're often required to work in very cold conditions for over four hours without a break. This often results in numb toes and an aching back.Occasionally when going on break, a manager will shout into the changing room to say precisely what time everyone must be back on the line or face disciplinary action.Issues raised to managers about problems with wages etc get ignored again and again.We have to wear shared wellies. At the Bridgeness site it's easy to find a pair of wellies that fit but in the Carriden site you could spend at least five minutes hunting for a pair because -

Pros

Easy to get a job here

Cons

Stressful speed, bad management.

27 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We're really sorry to hear about your poor experience at our Bo'ness site and would like to find out more, so we can make your time at Bakkavor more positive. If you are happy to share further details, please email your concerns to careers@bakkavor.com.

Just dont

Absolutely horrendous just don’t put yourself through it. No training, expected to know what to do after a day. Management shouting at each other and staff. Very bad work culture. Food safety completely ignored. Not only would I not work here ever again I’d definitely never touch the food it produces.

23 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your time at our Wigan site. We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience and have passed your comments on to the local HR team. We have robust food safety controls and standards in place, which are subject to regular audits, and our senior leadership team is also committed to listening to colleagues’ concerns in the event they cannot resolve these with their line managers.Your comments don’t reflect the organisation we aim to be. So, we would like you to pass on further details regarding your concerns to the site HR team to help us improve. Please email careers@bakkavor.com.

A shameful management

Almost 4 years in this company and I must say that the management has always been bad. When there is little work we found 4 or 5 people to do the same job, but then when the work is a lot I found myself doing everything alone. Managers who should go back to school who instead have important positions, managers who go around all day doing nothing, almost no communication. The company is important but badly managed on the pitch. They pay little.

Bad management

-I was offered lower salary than on advertisement - when I refused I was told "its not going to look good as everyone was informed that we offered you a role".The difference in salary was explained as 'misunderstanding' after I stood by my decision.-The management wasn't good. Lack of support and difficulties to gain experience.-Understaffed team which resulted in doing different tasks and as mentioned above is very hard to gain experience in situation like that.-Last payslip and p45 incorrect - e-mails and phone calls made - it's not sorted until now+discounted food from different Bakkavor factories+they investing in visual aspect of workplace+company is involved in charity activities

27 June 2022
Thank you for your honest review. We really appreciate your feedback as it will help us address our issues and make improvements. If you are happy to share further details, please email careers@bakkavor.com.

stressful work

managers ignoring people , very stressful work , with all new changes coming in a factory people work harder and harder every day , i even been told people are just number and easy can be changed . very sad because was amazing factory but now its one of the worst factory in Spalding .

Pros

free coffee

Cons

stress at work, no communication between managers and people, hard job.

23 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Your recent experience is not what we aim to offer colleagues, and we’re sorry to hear you are not receiving the right level of support. We want to find out more, so we can make your time at Bakkavor more positive. If you are happy to share further details, please email your concerns to careers@bakkavor.com.

Good place to work in but you definitely can get a much better salary for doing same job in different places. Management don't really care about what employees have to say

Stressful and under appreciated

Worked for Meals and found it to be a very kpi driven environment , no people skills from management team . If you did not submit to the senior managers or suggested other ways to do things , you would be ignored or harassed . Would not recommend as a company - certainly not the factory I was at .

23 June 2022
Hello, thanks for your detailed review. We understand there will always be improvements that we can make, so we appreciate you being open and honest. We will pass your comments on to the local HR team.

Can be a great place to work

Long hours for the days youbare in,but you do get 4 days off. Pay is reasonable and always the option for overtime (depending which department you are working).

Pros

4 off

Cons

12 hour shifts

23 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re pleased to hear you enjoy the benefits of the four days off shift pattern and the options for overtime.

Productive and fast paced

Good pay and collegues are awesome and I liked the way line managers were helpful for new trainees. Didn't pressurised to work perfectly and it was good working there

Pros

Free fruits and lunches

23 June 2022
Hi there, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Bakkavor, received good support from your managers, and the right training. Good luck in the future.

friendly

not bad place to work if you get your head down and learn the job, potential for promotion and lots of overtime available when required. overall nice place

23 June 2022
Hello, thanks for leaving a review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your role with us and the benefits that came with it. Good luck in the future.

Food factory

I worked there and I don't like this place. Some people are doing nothing all day. Just literally standing and do some paper work job time to time. If you don't have mates there you have to do the hardest job. 12 hours is definitely too long. Good thing : this is food factory but as I've noticed you are allowed to have full make up and fake lashes extension. I'm a girl and it's important to me.

Pros

4days off

Cons

Money doesn't match up to workload

23 June 2022
Thank you for your comments. We’re sorry to hear about your experience at Bakkavor. To clarify, for food safety reasons, makeup, nail extensions, false lashes, piercings etc., are not permitted in any of our factories and is a standard across the whole food industry.

Terrible communication

I really wouldn’t recommend applying for a role here. The communication is no existent and poor. It’s very indicative of a poor culture which doesn’t value people.

23 June 2022
Hello, apologies for the delay. We’re sorry to read your comments. If you would like to provide us with further feedback to help us improve, we would greatly appreciate it. Please email careers@bakkavor.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bakkavor. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Bakkavor with

• Bakkavor
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?