Balfour Beatty

Balfour Beatty Employee Reviews

United Kingdom629 reviews

Found 629 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,268 reviews
beattysafetysiteroleprojectredundantcolleagueorganisation

A business with an aspirational future

Featured review

Balfour Beatty selected this as a representative review
Great values and behaviours to make the company attractive for the future not just for employees but for clients to collaborate with. Leaders need to be visible to grassroots workers

Great place to work, great lads to work with. Let down by how the managers run the site and treat the staff. High turnover of managers because they can't do the job properly and instead of bringing through existing employees to fill the roll they always recruit from outside sources with a background totally different to what is needed.

Insights into Balfour Beatty

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Fast paced

Not a bad place to work as long as management stay out your way. work life balance is very very very poor forced to work weekends no choice like they are mandatory. Do not get paid anymore than 10hrs a day even if you work 14hrs. Hourly rates are shocking and they pay some bonus just to get out of paying you extra time on weekends and above your 39hrs.

Pros

Plenty of work on

Cons

Work life balance, bad pay, rushed to do everything which results in injuries

Seems to be going down hill

Balfour is a good place to gain experience and build your CV. However you will be massively over worked, under paid and under appreciated. They promise you the world but will leave you hanging.

Pros

Wfh / Individual teams at site level

Cons

Poor pay, over worked, under recognised, false hope and poor communication.

I would of stayed longer if I didn't move away

I enjoyed my time at Balfour Beatty,some days could be parked up waiting to put out a closure,other days you could be litter picking,sign washing or vegetation removal

Pros

4 on 4 off

Cons

Night shift

Avoid

Avoid at all cost! Poor management who clearly lack experience. No support, No Equality or diversity within the workplace. Very badly paid salary not competitive. Staff turnover is very high in HRSS.

Was ok

Underpaid told have to work call out and winter work 3months without day off line manger tries to help but higher up moan tell u to get on with it not a care for safety but preach it all time

A heavy turnover of staff says it all

Working in a small team of which had a lot of staff leave and a high turnover of staff due to poor man management 9 leaving in less than 2 years said it all ,including myself , Poor management along with long hours, away from home constantly and no promotion prospects made this job tedious and stressful

Lessons to be learned

Not the best if companies but not the worst either. Higher management could do with actually listening to their employees and visiting the sites more often as well as meeting with the clients to see just how much their employees do to enhance BB’s image. They need to back their employees more and show clients that they are committed to the project rather than feathering their nests at head office. Had bad experiences with HR and pay.

Pros

Travel expenses paid.

Cons

Long hours, little recognition and stressful working conditions

Poorly managed and poor safety culture

Poorly managed and poor safety culture. Blame culture rife, no management backup or support, skilled and knowledgeable people ignored, HR support poor

Toxic environment

If you value yourself and your mental well-being do not work here management will push and push more on your daily work load under staffed and lacking in experience

Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick - an awful company to work for! People are leaving in droves!

Following a re-structure which caused great unrest amongst the staff, upon joining - I found that many people wouldn't speak to me, or help me, because of they way they had been treated during the re-structure, which I could understand, once I saw it for myself. Every day was no different, there was no leadership, and no structure. It certainly isn't a collaborative environment, or one that I could recommend to anyone.

Long hours, bullying culture

Work was long hours and lengthy time away. Work life balance is not great and chances to progress are slim. Sometimes there is a bullying culture and all depends if your face fits. Job itself was good and I enjoyed it, not so much the people.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bullying culture among certain people

All about productivity and output

Everyday is a exhausting day up the tower and on the ground doing line works. Refurbishment of line or new lines to construct. Preparation of line hardwares and equipments to be use are daily to prepare before start and even at the end of the day after job are done.Working in the company is great experience and learning new technics as well as using the right equipments and machine in doing the job. Moreover, management are always securing there workers by providing us proper knowledge about the works well carry in every place were going, the safety is of course priority. Also they brief us about environment so we are aware of the policy and rule.During winter is the hardest part of the job because you have to get use to the field and deal with the weather, the freezing steel. We need to be productive for we get paid.

Fair company was not difficult, they treat everyone with respect, if you work hard then you will be rewarded. Plus they are a great company to get into.

difficult place to work

The working environment felt very old school hierarchal, managers approached you, not the other way around. Members of the team very encouraged to be as quiet as possible, talking to colleagues wasn't frowned up on however it was not encouraged. What could have been an enjoyable job is made difficult by the expectation to work at level perfection...always. It was expected that I would learn the role in my own time. I found a very visible blame culture, if something went wrong, someone had to take the blame.

The best company!

Nice people, and very good environment!. The team was amazing and supportive. The standards were high and the team suitable to deliver a quality project.

BEWARE! read this first if you are thinking of joining Balfour Beatty.

Poor company to work for. Lack of strategic direction and an extremely pressurised environment to work in. Employees generally are overworked, underpaid and the work life balance is poor. Employment contracts are very “employer sided” so read through your contract carefully if you are thinking of joining.

Educational

Good staff there an quite helpful. Good site experience on a large, multi-billion pound job. Would recommened to a graduate engineer for gainging experience

I was here for over 13 years amd enjoyed th evast majority of it. Only the last year was not enjoyable as the compny underwent a massive restructure and loss a lot of staff so was quite unsettling then.

Excellence across the board

Balfour Beatty is the only place in my career where I have felt there is little to no dead wood. Everyone is extremely competent and helpful which lends itself to a relaxed and collaborative working culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Balfour Beatty. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement