Balfour Beatty

Balfour Beatty Employee Reviews

Interesting work, big contracts and good pay rates jobs slways well managed and organised great opportunities to further your career, well diverse work force and always someone to approach if you ever have a concern or problem
Pros
Good hours, good rates, great team
Cons
Sometimes travel
Good pay and nice staff. HR actually really nice and helpful .I really loved my time here and management were actually really good . You work hard but also get great benefits too .Structured work environment and safety comes first .
Pros
Team players
Cons
The culture of the company is fear and insecurity and its bred from the very top - that somehow this Victorian technique is the right way to go. New management arrive with great enthusiasm but have the life slowly sucked out of them until they get normalised to the culture, get fired or resign. Managers are frightened of their own shadows and lash out at their own staff, as a survival technique. It's a 'dog eat dog' world. There is a strong belief from the top that staff should uphold the company behaviours and values and be seen to be saying / doing the 'right thing'. The net result is that this becomes the No 1 priority for staff because failing to do so means that you wont 'survive'. And people have mortgages to pay.So many people I met have had time off work for stress related illnesses.......... and its genuine!! Avoid, Avoid, Avoid.
Pros
Cons
Toxic politics
Was Ok to work for. But got a little piised off due to constant management changes. My manager although was ok. Brought in friends who I had to train up to become my boss.
Cons
It’s all about who you know and not what you know. People in senior positions either bring in relatives or friends, which can result in apprentices and graduates who’ve been with the company for years to be fired. Management is slack; a bunch of the elder generation who ‘know’ about construction but not enough to do their job without their assistant or tea boys. Apprentices are turned into working slaves. Graduates have more of a chance of having an actual career.It’s a good place to work if you want to be taken advantage of (unless you know a senior manager or director).For a company that preaches mental health, they don’t care about how anyone feels.
Pros
Flexible hours at times
Cons
Management, covid handling
If you are looking into a role at Balfour Beatty be prepared to lose your job after the current site is finished dont take time off for illness work weekends or else
Pros
Cons
Dont take time off for illness
I have worked for Balfour Beatty for almost 18 years and never been bored, great people to work for and with and throughout this latest Covid period they have kept us safe and informed. Would highly recommend as an employer
It looks good but it's not. If you are lazy, handicap, have difficulties in general, it's the best place.Be prepared for racism (hidden), favoritism, stupid managers, idiots all over, bottom rock minds.If respect your self, that's not the place, even if looks the exact opposite.
Pros
Because they are lazy, most of the time it will be easy.
Cons
Threats, insults, provocations, racism, favoritism, planed harassment if you are not became a tea boy.
Nobody has any passion for what they are doing. Everyone is a number and it’s just tick box to get work done rather than any passion or want for improvement. Managing the corona virus has been poor, the training/ induction programme isn’t there so you’re just left floundering as a new employee working from home. Lack of support and very inflexible processes due to the size of the vbusiness.
Pros
None once Covid kicked in
Cons
Managing induction process and training not fit for purpose
- As per title, BB is where you find managers in their 60s (almost retired) who can barely work on Windows 7. - An old boys gang who came from MACE (which's another rubbish company) controlling the office, and taking over a new senior manager kid. - Blame culture everywhere in the office and lazy people. - Gangs workstyle by higher management throwing everyone under the bus to save their heads. - Poor HR has no influence over the hiring procedures. People got hired through connections which mean more stone age mentalities candidates. - Fact: As per many reviews mentioned, BB has a horrendous staff turnover which makes delivering your job is almost impossible. (over 3 Directors in less than a year in my project)
Pros
flexible hrs & that's it
Cons
Avoid it's huge red flag
Very nice place to work,good pay,work in a safest manner is the company motto wich is included in their company "4 golden rules",new machinery and quick maintenance/repair/consumable supply
Pros
good pay rate
Cons
commute to some of their sites
I have worked in the civils trade for around 4-5 years now and have also recieved certificates from doing courses through Balfour Beatty which they put you through
one thing is you learn something new every day pluse hardest thing in workplace is picking up someone esles paced but yes it was also about the safety off the other workmates and always keep the work place clean and tidy
Pros
all expences paid for
Cons
7amto 530pm
I have been with BB nearly 2 years. Good company, great team. It does get stressful but you are supported. The higher management are approachable. The salary is far more than other construction companies. Lots of development training. If you get on a project with a decent project manager, it helps.
Pros
Scope for growth
Cons
Can be stressful
Good company, very collaborative with good quality training and a positive can do culture. The project I worked on was high risk with a very demanding client, would definitely like to be involved with this company again.
Pros
Small client base
Cons
Small client base
Very top heavy with management & low on hands on staff , lack of communication & assistance between managers makes life difficult & stops any real progress in work winning & investment !
Pros
Good overall salary.
Cons
Lack of investment & lots of antisocial hours.
I was shadowing the head of finance and had 4 weeks working for them. They were all very friendly to me and were always making sure that I had tasks to complete and that I was constantly learning.
If working on large sites , you is just a number but they pay well all ways in bank on time just the way site work is now one of the better ones last in 1st put ! But they carry some dead wood
Working with balfour beatty is one off the best experiences off my life and I would still be there today if I hadn't had messed it up myself but other than that a great firm to be with
Pros
great people great learning experiences
Cons
Within the company I have continued to grow and its given me so much work experience. I started when I was 19 years old and have been with Balfour Beatty ever since, its given me a wide knowledge of finance and I've worked in other teams within the business.
All the BB managers are friendly and always ready to step in and solve the problem immediately if it appears. The safety standards were kept in the priority. It was a pleasure to work in that team. Unfortunately I had to leave the company due to family circumstances.
  1. Employee reviews