Balmer Lawn Hotel

Balmer Lawn Hotel Management reviews

Really fun place to work great team vibes. If your looking for for a casual front of house job it's a good choice. I'd say a handful of things in the hotel are backwards or dated in their approach which makes it very frustrating to work here at times. That being said Over all the management team wants the best for the venue and the guests you can't fault them for that. If your serious about cocktails or wine avoid accepting A job here as its just not that kind of venue. If your a wizz kid waiter you'll do great. Be aware the kitchen is not open to guests so the chefs tend to be rude and hard to work with, think Gordon Ramsay but not funny.
Pros
Great team spirit and banter, nice management team
Cons
Long hours, low tips
Terrible place to work, no extra hours payment, lack of staff, lack of structure, very poor management, general assistant contract for every employer no matter what department you are working. Minimum wage.
Pros
Good people (staff members only)
Cons
Extreme pressure, lack of conditions, lack of staff, very poor management
I would normally start either at 7am to work in the breakfast room and relay it for lunch or mid-afternoon to work til finish on the bar or for cream teas. I had had experience working in such an environment (i.e on a bar and waitressing) but a calmer atmosphere meant that I learnt a lot more about complicated drinks like cocktails. The people I worked with were kind and supportive but the management staff were abrupt and only really seemed to give out orders. I would say that was the hardest part, having to do absolutely everything and hoping they approve of it. As previously stated the best part of the job was the people I was working, especially on the bar.
Pros
Reasonable hours
Cons
Minimum wage