Bangor University

Bangor University Employee Reviews

Best job I've ever had. Pay could be better. Work in Catering and isn't paid brilliantly. Work with lovely people and enjoying coming to work. The uni is a lovely site to work at. Interesting customers. Good work life balance
Pros
Holidays, lovely buildings, great team and management
Cons
Pay
I was exciting to work with PhD students and the environment was very nice especially they were different backgrounds and they were very keen to develop their capabilities to write their thesis
Inability to deal with bullies. Personal relationships dictate advancement. Cannot deal with ineffectual staff.Staff with the loudest voices but inept at their job prompted all the time. Staff who are effective at their jobs but do not pander to the sucking up to senior managers not promoted.
Pros
The job was fun but management was poor and gave unclear direction. Lectures were reluctant to help in advertisement days even though the university depends on them and thus their salaries. Pleasant people but lack of responsibility taken by most.
Good work-life balance. Enjoyable and rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy the wonderful surroundings of north wales. Very friendly and welcoming staff
Great staff , hard work enjoyed working here extremely, was a great place to work , summer term only couple months work at great pay lovely staff expected a lot done and had work most of eekends
Overall, Bangor University has good infrastructure for sports and outside activities. The isolated location may not be appreciated by everyone, but the cost of renting is affordable, which does also one to save. However, establishing job security is difficult, which does not help if one wants to locate there on a longer term basis.
I worked here as a data entry clerk voluntarily whilst looking for work elsewhere. I was not paid for this service nor did I expect to be paid. I was satisfied with the work I did.
Demanding fast paced job, not to difficult but must keep high standards at all times. Respect and help students who may need guidance or advice about the area
The worst place I have worked for in my life. I was student at BU and worked part time in the food sector. My partner (also uni student) worked in the cleaning service. What we witnessed was shocking. The low-end staff is treated like servants; bullying and harrassment by management are part of the daily routine. Managers (especcially the women in the middle management) are terrible, terrible bullies. Further, my partner reported terrible standards of the cleaning service: some cleaners would clean kitchens with the same towels as the toilets! When she reported this, she got fired and management seems to have covered it up. Fault here is clearly to be found in the lower and middle management. Something is truly rotten in the state of Denmark.
Immerse yourself in your study and then relax with your classmates. The lecturers are highly skilled and knowledgeable. The local night life plentiful and inexpensive.
My time with the INternationa Educational Offices was fascinating. I was responsible for making thousands of outbound calls during my 6 weeks here collecting feedback from current and past international students and visitors and getting their view expressed on data input systems to be utilised to promote and change the university. To this end I managed and took interviews, called a lot, and generally progessed incredibly fast through all the work I could. including helping to design a new International students prospectus area on the site. my time here was great, i learned many new skills and developed more.
This university has an unfortunate culture of bullying and misogyny. No policy against staff-student relations. No strategies for equality in hiring or promotion. They have managed themselves badly, resulting in multiple restructures and several rounds of redundancies.
I was full-time employed, but recently there have been swinging cuts to all aspects of the University. Despite the allure of the area, I would think twice before applying.
Teaching students from a range of different countries, for example Arabic and Chinese learners enables you to learn much about their varying cultures and lifestyles.
Pros
Developing the academic skills of students
Cons
Courses sometimes not being long enough.
Fantastic work environment, well paid, friendly staff and great experience along side of my degree. Would definitely recommend to any potential applicants.
Spent many hours weekly interactive with students, which made the role much more fulfilling and enjoyable. The staff in the department were also always willing to help with any problems.
Pros
Very interactive
Cons
N/a
I worked as an Invigilator while studying at the University, as I didn't have any invigilation experience before it was a bit overwhelming at the beginning, but all the staff of the University made it a very fun experience.
Good support from senior staff and excellent working environment. Worked voluntarily on a summer internship project and was made to feel like a full contributing member of the team.
Good University to work for. Work culture and management are excellent. Room for growth and opportunities to develop either career wise or educational.
I was a student at Bangor Univeristy hence I can't speak of how they treat employees, however student life there was nothing short of excellent. The Psychology department is excellent.
  1. Employee reviews