Bank of England

Bank of England Employee Reviews

Challenging working

I have found The Bank of England to ask quite a lot of its employees for little monetary reward in comparison to Investment Banking. The work can be complex and with little guidance. However that said, there are sometimes periods where the workload is minimal. The work life balance is good, with flexi time available to take after 35 hours. (Providing there’s cover and you can still meet deadlines)Unfortunately, in the area that I am in, progressing seems to have to be a sideways move rather than a promotion in department. Some of the people I work with have been doing the same job at the same level for 30 years. I would argue this is a failure of the organisation.Overall a nice place to work, but you’re not going to set your bank balance on fire. Perhaps best used for graduates who wish to gain experience and then move on - or for family oriented people for whom flexibility is a priority.

Pros

Some shorter days, can buy additional holiday, good benefits

Cons

Some long days if you work on a role that has shifts

Work/life balance

Great place to work. Forward thinking with work/life balance, inclusivity and personal wellbeing. Salary not the greatest but benefits make up for this.

Pros

Health care, subsidised restaurants

Cons

Beautiful old building but not always fit for purpose

Okay

Really good place to work within. Calm interview. Enjoyed every moment of my work experience. Friendly environment . Really good food and professional.

A place to avoid

Low pay and working with technically backwards long term members of staff make this a place to avoid. The pay for new members of staff either starts too low or never increases.

Bank of England

A very good place to work with Inteligent people and very interesting work. As expected in a bank the culture is quite risk adverse however due to the quality of the people this is quickly overcome and i would recommend working here.

Productive and fun work place

Great place to work at, learnt a lot and many of the employees are very kind and helpful. The hardest part was meeting deadlines but the most enjoyable part was collaborating with others.

A great environment to work in

While at the Bank, you and your colleagues have a strong sense of purpose. Combine that with intellectually challenging tasks and collaborative work culture and you get a great place to work. The only downside is that things sometimes are a bit slow due to the hierarchical nature of the institution.

A great place to work and make friends

A great place to work where I made lots of friends who are very welcoming. Was able to undertake plenty of different roles that helped the bank in many different ways. Had very flexible and a wide ranging of times to work which was great for my personal situation.

a fun environment and friendly

i had worked at the bank of england for 2 weeks as it was set up by my secondary school, i had an amazing time and the employers where very friendly and welcoming. i learned that bank of england does not store our pounds as they need to keep it protected.

great staff and work environment

worked as an intern for 2 weeks, had a great time everyone was very friendly and there is plenty of opportunity for future employment and advancement in the placement.

It was well organised and for the work experience. There were many different sections to the department I worked in, however each section had their own duties which helped us complete our work smoothly.

Awful Place, Awful People

An elitist and archaic establishment, bloated with inept and failed finance people with over inflated egos and zero talent. Staggeringly arrogant management have such a high regard for themselves they neither understand nor care what happens in the wider financial industry. They are more focused on swerving responsibility and counting down the clock until they get their pensions. The building should be put to better use.

Great place to work - wish I could have stayed here longer

Spent two times as a temp here, only for limited roles. I highly enjoyed the time when I was there and I learnt a lot - they had e-learning courses I could do. Also, it is very easy to get lost in the main building...

Fun and Engaging

Very involved in tech life and great team from which i could learn a lot

Exciting

I feel very proud working there. The whole workers are very happy and helpful, They are always ready to help people. Your job is always secure, the managers are very nice and friendly.

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Extra hours

Productive and fun place to work

Very good place to work . Very good life style management, a lot of flexibility and give you the opportunity to balance your home and work life. I would say this is a great place to work.

Tough experiences for some minorities

It is a place where people are proud to be able to work for such an institution. This pride can also bring a type of culture where people are looked down on. A manager is always right in there. A manager can decide to spin any story to paint you in a bad light. Why not? Its the manager's word against yours. If you are a person of color, you will need to understand your place and stay there in other to be able to continue receiving your paycheck.

N/a

It was my second job from leaving school. It gave me some good experience that helped me gain further roles in the future. Had a positive experience. Largely clerical duties

Largely a nice place to work

On the whole a nice place to work however as exposure to senior staff increases the political games and practice of protect number one becomes evident

Pros

Good work life balance and good onsite facilities (gym/doctor/nurse/information centre/canteen)

Cons

Slow to change, a culture of blame has still not left the building

Great

It was a good work experience I enjoyed it I had a lot of fun and learnt a lot of new things they made me feel welcome and kept my involved in all activities.

Pros

Nice lunches

Good place to leverage your career

Very good work/life balance Alot of beuracracy which could be ironed out by better ommunication between layers of staff. Require more elements of openness and transparency. Between management and job holders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of England. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement