Bannatyne

Bannatyne Employee Reviews

United Kingdom321 reviews

membershipgymspaprogressionclubfitnessmemberlovely

Ok but not worth it

Management was not great. Was a good place to work before they took over. Staff morale was low and they started getting rid of people for no reason. Benefit was the free gym membership.

Over worked and under paid. Management are terrible

Over worked under paid. Not supported by management. Staff turn over is ridiculously high here. Most people leave within a year.You get booked back to back all day with so much massage.

Insights into Bannatyne

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Love my job

I’ve been a member of staff for 12+years.I personally started part time while studying then went to full time. During my years I’ve had so much training. They paid for all my training courses (and on going development) such first aid and pool responder, multiple Les mills courses, spin, kettlebells, TRX and so much more.My personal career development has been amazing in the company starting as fitness advisor to senior fitness then onto Health & Fitness Manager and then put on training for General Manager training. Typical shifts from 0530-1400 or 1400-2230 weekdays and 0730-1600 or 1130-2000 weekends. A few mid shifts as well, depends on business needs. Management team I worked with during my years were amazing. Majority of management team are still there. The team I worked with genuinely felt like family and I have made a few life long friends along the way.Members in the club I worked at were lovely, sure people would complain about things at times but that’s normal!

Pros

Training and development is paid for from the company.

Cons

Rate of Pay

Worked to the bone.

I enjoyed the general nature of my job and building my skills in the beauty industry although the work was very labour intensive and would be full 8 hour days of back to back massages with no breaks apart from 30 mins unpaid at lunch and 2/3 mins to change rooms in between clients. Unhygienic practices.Therapists left to our own devices with hardly any support from manager, or would have to awkwardly go into office in which it felt like we were ‘bothering’ management team and was told to deal with various complaints etc on our own in a annoyed manner without proper procedures. Clients could see us over worked and stressed as spa manager sat on computer doing ‘paperwork’ every day? It was very embarrassing and had clients feeling sorry for us instead of the team being able to put on a relaxing spa experience for them. All about making company money. Senior positions picking and choosing which treatments they would like to do and moving more physically tiring treatments to other workers who are recently employed or not going to speak up for themselves. Pay was minimum wage and I personally was there a number in years with no view of advancing positions or salary increase.No recognition for hard work we did, no incentives for pushing yourself or training. Very debilitating workspace. All training no transferable outside of Bannatyne! Unfortunate as loved working in team and generally good workers who work hard together, just deserve better pay and more breaks! A health club who’s not caring about there Spa Therapists Health at all!!! Would not recommend as first beauty job even -

Pros

Free gym membership-but generally dirty facilities :(

Cons

Workload, Pay, weekend&late shifts

Good company to work for

A good company to work for. Would recommend working for bannatynes.The pay is fair and staff were friendly and there plenty of training opportunities.

Very poor company

Poor management not interested in the staff I was only there for a short time and I’ve never experienced a company like this very high turnover off staff and lots of complaints from members I was glad to get out .

Under funded & under valued

You are expected to go above and beyond but don't get a lot in return. If you are management you have the flexibility of being able to move some of your shifts - which is good. However, due to increasing numbers of empty job roles that aren't being filled because the offered pay is awful, those who hang on fall into being overworked and stressed.Invest in your staff, invest in your buildings.

Pros

Gym access

Don’t work here

It may of changed over the years, but I found was badly managed, had their favourites who always got the best shifts ie not the 5.30am starts! Not a nice work environment

Pros

Free gym

Cons

Long hours, no full lunch breaks

Fast paced

When short staffed you're expected to stay until you finish your jobs. Sometimes it's too much. Not all staff treated the same. Some get away with not finishing rooms and others expected to finish them.

Good gym to work for

All staff are friendly and super helpful. Members rapport is also good as you get to know them working on reception. Free membership to any Bannatyne club which is a plus

Easy Job

Easy job great if you are not looking for anything challenging, not enough hours available, pay was below minimum wage, not any development or progression really available.

Tiring work for minimal reward

Loved being around clientele who were nice people. Expected to operate a full gym, spa check-in, and sales department by yourself on weekends. Pay was minimum wage. Could only really advance if a Head of reception was available or you wanted to get into personal training. No recognition for work, no incentives for pushing yourself. Just quite debilitating really.

Pros

Free gym membership; relationship with regulars

Cons

Pay, workload

Fast pace, underpaid and stressful

Managers not supporting, rude, do not care about staff, all about the moneyPays poor for what your made to do The higher up managers don't have courtesy to say hello and are just ignorant only speak to the well known The place looks very old it does need work doing to refresh

Pros

Free access to use facilities

Cons

Weekend and late shifts

Overall good

This is a great place to work when first starting out in the beauty/spa industry to get experience. Personally,I found the training to be great and management to be approachable,understanding and hands-on. If I have a concern,issue,or I want some form of training or guidance,they listen and it's addressed and sorted quickly. Generally,all staff are lovely and probably the highlight of working here.On the downside,it can be very physically draining due to the nature of the job (lots of massage),there generally aren't many gaps to deliver proper aftercare, deep clean the room etc,which can make you run late,which can run into your (30 min unpaid) break or other clients treatments which then leads to annoyed complaining clients, you are pressured and pushed to make sales,and you do get some difficult or rude clients. The salary could also be better.All in all,the particular spa I work for is a good place,especially for those who are starting out, it's just unfortunate from reading other reviews that it seems this is not the case with other Bannatyne spas.

Pros

Great colleagues, good management, free membership, discounts on spa products and treatments

Cons

Physically demanding, pressure to sell

Poor pay, overworked

If you pay office cleaners wage, that's the only standard you will receive, so if you wanna get paid just to turn up then this is for you, but if you are a decent person and always carry out the job you were hired to do then you will end up carrying others

Good staff bad management

Been with the company over 7 years, it's not the pay that keeps people here but more the staff if they are friendly, poor management and lack of support.

Good vibes in a sad building

Taken straight out of college and into a spa job was such an amazing opportunity. Being my first spa job I had no idea really how a spa should be run and was fine with the pace of client to client back to back. But with little time to turn room around, make sales and keep up with covid cleaning standards. Appointments would regularly run late and your 30 min break would be lost to clients taking long to leave the room post treatment and cleaning up after them. The building is a listed historical building and with that comes the problems old buildings have, maintenance issues, damp, damage to floors and ceilings. What made this place such a good time was the amazing people who would make your day fun and filled with laughter. No matter how worn out you felt, the team made it worth it. This is a company problem, not a branch problem. And I’m writing this to defend the management left there. To turn the building around, make a real difference and actually celebrate the historical factors of the building wouldn’t take much. But it does require budget. General manager really does the best they can with what limited resources head office give out. People leave due to the company policies and bad facilities. :(

Very friendly an flexible management. Family friendly great staff everyone happy to help if needed and busy job but very enjoyable great training given !

underpaid, overworked

You will make good friends in other departments but the management can be chaotic and the staff turnover high, so expect to do the jobs of other departments with little to no appreciation from management / head office. Little to no training. Duncan Bannatyne silences workers and doesn't care that his facilities are literally falling apart. You will grow tired of the same members complaining about things needing fixed and management doing nothing about it - some of which are actual health and safety issues. Antiquated computer and software systems often got in the way of the job running smoothly. The place is falling apart, water damage in ceilings, rotting wood, etc. Some fitness instructors feel undervalued and overworked, they are made to lead tours, do pool tests, and clean all the facilities on top of doing personal training sessions and teaching multiple classes a day. On some days, no domestic is present, which leads everything to become pretty mingin. Most members were friendly but there were a few impatient 'yah' students who made the job slightly insufferable. Shifts are either 5:30 am - 2 pm or 1:30 - 10 pm, both pretty grim. The pros to working here is that the people you work with are generally friendly and fun.

Pros

free gym membership, fun coworkers

Cons

short breaks, low wage, lack of training, short-staffed, overworked, unsociable working hours (5:30-2pm or 1:30 - 10 pm)

Awful environment

Toxic management. Bannatyne is a gossipy environment. Staff members sleeping with members and tarnishing the name of the company. Minimum wage and no extra for overtime. Managers don’t care about mental health

Being a Café Bar Assistant: An Exercise in Futility with No Prospects

To briefly summarise, I worked at Bannatyne for a brief period of 5 months last year.As a Café Bar Assistant, I was tasked with creating the brilliant and diverse menu comprised of: baked potatoes, pre-cooked paninis and toasties... and that was pretty much it. There are no prospects working there; you will gain little to no skills. Genuine issues and bullying were seen as "girl drama", which made it worse for everyone at work as it was not dealt with correctly.Café Bar Assistants and Front of House colleagues (at the time) did not have a manager, for the majority of my time there... yet......The hardest part of my job was not being fully trained, yet being judged as if I were, by managers not even trained to be working in the department I was in.Managers are very cliquey and like to know everyone's business. I've had some private (and quiet!) conversations listened into when I was not on shift by management.There were some brilliant colleagues that were also potentially treated unfairly within all departments. I know for sure I was not the only one treated unfairly.

Pros

Free Gym Membership, if you can be bothered, 50% discount on already overpriced pre-made trite.

Cons

Management is dire, Scheduling is lazy, Paid minimum wage, No prospects as a Cafe Bar Assistant, treated like a scullery maid, ignored by the "prestige" receptionists, No vegan hot meal options (and I'm not vegan)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bannatyne. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Bannatyne with

Learn about Bannatyne in popular locations

• Bannatyne