Barchester Healthcare

United Kingdom1,103 reviews

Found 1,103 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,138 reviews
carersresidentlovelycqcstaffcarerrotabullying

Featured review

Barchester Healthcare selected this as a representative review
I have been working at barchester health care now for 6 months and I have no negative to say. Best environment, staffing can be a problem put i but it down to people that don’t want to work, they look at the salary and say yes to the job. People with negativity brings any place of work down. Put it’s you can make it work for you. I understand some people have their own expectations.

Pros

Great place with lovely residents and staff

Cons

Some times negative people can bring the atmosphere down. I try not to let it happen.

14 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback about life at Barchester!

Can be very fast paced and stressful

The food isn’t the best at the moment due to not having many people working in the kitchen. Management don’t last very long. Very short staffed for carers a lot of agency working here but a lot of places are the same at the moment with people leaving care. The care staff and nurses are incredible. Recently got a new activities co-ordinator who is doing an amazing job. All in all, it is a nice place to work everyone gets along with one another and residents are happy however I feel like care assistants should be being paid more especially due to the staffing shortages and added pressure which is being handed to them.

Pros

Permanent staff are incredible.

Cons

Short staffed, over-worked, Care assistants should be paid extra.

Insights into Barchester Healthcare

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Avoid avoid avoid

From the moment I started to the moment I left it was a complete NIGHTMARE. Staff are cliquey, management are snakes. Just push aside concerns, allow staff to get away with everything. Don’t bother even applying because if your face doesn’t fit then you’ll be out the door. There’s about 4 decent people that work there and that’s putting it politely. Housekeepers are incompetent, carers are either high on dope or selling it to each other, senior team is shocking and the lack of communication is concerning. For a “big” company it’s a shocking one to work for. If it’s not “the barchester way” then forget it. Absolute tools.

Pros

You might get a parking space.

Cons

Management have no clue, That many managers have come and gone you would think it was a knock in shop, Staff are cliquey. Communication is poor. You’re just a glorified skivvy, Micro management

No support or career progression

I loved my job but I got no support and endured many burnouts. There is a lot of corruption the disparity between the staff on the ground and the ones higher up. I could not wait to leave but will absolutely miss the residents. I handed my notice in and was supposed to work my 4 weeks, but because I was leaving after they begged me to stay. I was asked to leave 2 weeks before so I did not get a chance to say bye to residents or staff. It was horrible and I do not recommend anyone apply to this company.

12 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we're very sorry to hear you feel this way as this is not the experience we would want for any member of staff. We would like to learn more about what happened so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

productive

good place to work with a lot of trainings and support. stuff seems to be nice. Good management. flexible work. long hours and short hours depending on what you want.

12 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments here.

Not managed well

This care home could be a great place to work. The carers who actually care work extremely hard, for not very much in return. The money isn't great for what is asked of you. There is always a struggle to get ant help from management. Items needed are not ordered on time and is a real struggle to sort everything when you don't have the correct equipment, caused alot of stress. Was not a good place to work in.

12 August 2022
We're keen to hear more about what happened during your time with us and would like to invite you to share more detail about your experience by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Amazing place to work

All the staff and management are an amazing team and lovely to work along side I really would recommend barchester as an amazing place to work. Overall the place is amazing.

12 August 2022
It’s a pleasure to read such positive comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them here.

Needs to improve.

Operations manager bullies staff, staff are told they are NOT short staffed but management think it's fine to leave two carers to look after a floor of residents who need specialised care. Staff turnover is at its highest as new people are recruited, worked to the bone, so they leave. Only good thing is paid breaks and job flexibility with working certain days only due to working for the company for 8 years. Support from management is minimal, team morale is low but we try our best to stay positive for the wellbeing of our residents.

12 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we're very sorry to hear you feel this way as this is not the experience we would want for any member of staff. We would like to learn more about what's happening so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Low staff morale

Poor management style, culture of bullying appears to be deeply embedded within the organisation. Lack of empathy, support and care for staff. Morale is subsequently at rock bottom.Unrealistic expectations of staff given the chronic shortage of Nurses and carers.Lovely residents and care and support staff.

Pros

Reasonable salary

Cons

Long hours, chronically understaffed

12 August 2022
We never want anyone to feel negatively about their career with Barchester and take feedback of this type extremely seriously so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Awful !!!

The residents pay a fortune for poor conveyer belt care, seniors are patronising and not nice at all, carers are treated like absolute skivvies, domestics think they are management, no confidentiality, not even from management, it’s an awful place to work, don’t bother !!!!

Supportive management and staff

We’ve all supported each other through this difficult time and things are starting to come back together. We need more staff who are dedicated to making the residents happy and who genuinely care, they need to understand that we are going through a process of regeneration and it’s not going to be easy to get back to where we were. If you can see past the exhaustion, we are a really good team and we need other people who support that. The managers are top class and really care about the home and residents. I think what some people need to realise in the care industry that it’s not about you, it’s about the residents. Managers have to be hard on you to prevent the residents being abused. It’s their job. You have to suck it up and carry on doing the right thing regardless.

Pros

Genuinely caring managers who support staff and residents, Amazing residents who keep you positive.

Cons

The pay gap in the company is awful I’m barely able to afford my bills, Agency are not upto standard and think we should be grateful for their minimal effort.

28 July 2022

Victimised by management

Unfairly didn't get hourly rate rise when other roles did.Poor management in the home.Profit driven company that won't spend where really needed CEO paid himself a huge bonus last year.No investment n the home.Poor food offering for residents.Housekeeping is atrocious.Carers always complaining but they are lazy.

Pros

Cons

Too long to list

28 July 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about life at Barchester, we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel supported at all times. We invite you to share more detail about your experience by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Good and bad

Good job and able to do further training. Not all staff are treated equally and it’s very much a them and us atmosphere. Office staff work very hard to keep the company running as smoothly as possible up and down the UK and although we understand and value the work of the frontline staff we are not treated the same as them, with various bonuses and incentives only applicable to homes staff even when the company try to put forward a family vibe. Support staff must be a very distant relative, the kind you only see when you have to. Work loads always increase with home take overs and your expected to get on with it with no thought at all into how this will impact an already very stretched and demoralised back office. Made to feel anxious and stressed daily.

Would not recommend

Not a great place at all, all these "Barchester values" do not apply, in my opinion. Few colleagues are really nice, pay is average, understaffed, management support close to zero. Unfairness rules, what is alright for some, isn't for others!

22 July 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about your time with us as we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel happy and supported. We invite you to share more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Exhausting ,no staff communication is not good

When I started at this place there was so much training , always looks good on paper but once your in there working so much of a eye opener ,lack of staff , no real support I did one shift then was left on my own as I work nights your more aless on your own , you get a floater if your lucky to help with turns etc for about 1 hour in total , a lot of communication,is done via email sometimes you may get a reply ,think that depends on the situation , only plus to that place is the residents you get attached to them , some have no toiletries even clothing in some cases is hard to come across it's smelly and sometimes dirty ,again probably due to lack of staff to much is expected of you , no thankyous ,just more of not what's being done !!!!no appreciation ,

22 July 2022
We never want anyone to feel negatively about their career with Barchester and are sorry to hear that your time with us wasn't the way it should have been. We take feedback of this type extremely seriously so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

It’s like a hotel setting

It’s lovely home like hotel but only on ground floor as first impression but walking around rest of home not so . Staff can be friendly but only if your face fits .You get called on days off if short staffed then get nasty remarks from management if you don’t answer phone

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to learn more about what happened so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Best workplace

This is one of the best workplace. This was my first job as a care worker and they give me best training and free online course. Staff is cooperative and professional.

Pros

Learn so much

8 July 2022
It’s a pleasure to read your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here.

Stay away from this place

Manager is a bully that will treat you horrible on a daily basis and makes you job a lot harder by not communicating and talking down to you. Everyone is on edge all the time which makes work very stressful

Good and clean

A nice place to work with very friendly residents a rewarding place to be Lovely management and staff Free training you will needFree lunches perfect

8 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback here. We hope you continue to find life with us enjoyable and rewarding.

High staff turnover due to a negative culture

Good core of experienced and dedicated staff who are not valued. Management look to use supervisions to discipline staff rather than build them up. Staff leaving for all the wrong reasons as they feel undervalued and bullied. This has resulted in agency becoming the norm , avoid.

Exhausting experience

At first it felt organised and well lead, as I got to know the work load is over the top. Constant pressure from the manager to finish the care plans in the time frame provided. Mandatory meetings that you must attend even on your days off. Good pay with a lot of responsibility.

29 June 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement