Barchester Healthcare

United Kingdom1,089 reviews

Found 1,089 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,126 reviews
carersresidentlovelycqcstaffcarerrotabullying

Featured review

Barchester Healthcare selected this as a representative review
I have been working at barchester health care now for 6 months and I have no negative to say. Best environment, staffing can be a problem put i but it down to people that don’t want to work, they look at the salary and say yes to the job. People with negativity brings any place of work down. Put it’s you can make it work for you. I understand some people have their own expectations.

Pros

Great place with lovely residents and staff

Cons

Some times negative people can bring the atmosphere down. I try not to let it happen.

14 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback about life at Barchester!

Best workplace

This is one of the best workplace. This was my first job as a care worker and they give me best training and free online course. Staff is cooperative and professional.

Pros

Learn so much

Insights into Barchester Healthcare

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Stay away from this place

Manager is a bully that will treat you horrible on a daily basis and makes you job a lot harder by not communicating and talking down to you. Everyone is on edge all the time which makes work very stressful

Good and clean

A nice place to work with very friendly residents a rewarding place to be Lovely management and staff Free training you will needFree lunches perfect

High staff turnover due to a negative culture

Good core of experienced and dedicated staff who are not valued. Management look to use supervisions to discipline staff rather than build them up. Staff leaving for all the wrong reasons as they feel undervalued and bullied. This has resulted in agency becoming the norm , avoid.

Exhausting experience

At first it felt organised and well lead, as I got to know the work load is over the top. Constant pressure from the manager to finish the care plans in the time frame provided. Mandatory meetings that you must attend even on your days off. Good pay with a lot of responsibility.

29 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about life at Barchester, we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel supported at all times. We invite you to share more detail about your experience by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Ups and downs

The home was great at first. Team were lovely and stayed that way, especially on the unit you remotely work within. Management were very poor and often made you feel you were easily replaceable. The company and their paperwork made it very difficult to care for all of these vulnerable people who rely on you. Most days were understaffed and staff were often ignored about the fact they were struggling on low numbers when there’s high dependency from residents.

22 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel negatively about your time with us. We take feedback of this type very seriously so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Hard work for little pay

I loved the residence to pieces, they always put a smile on my face. The job itself doesn't pay well and it can be extremely difficult. Not to mention emotional.

22 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments here.

Nice place to work

Nice place to workStaff lovely and welcoming Management can be difficult with getting extra staffNo food supplied to staff Coffee and tea available Service users lovely

15 June 2022
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us why you enjoyed life with Barchester!

Stressful and non inclusive

I worked there for 6 months on a maternity leave placement and most days made to feel that anything that went wrong was my fault, came in one morning to find the person on maternity leave had returned and there was nothing for me to do, no desk, no tasks just put in a cupboard and told to clean it up and organise the stationery. Would never work there again. Most days I felt as if I didn't exist.

Pros

Cons

Too many to mention

22 June 2022

Great place to work,love it

Iam a Peri ,Chef for the company,at senior level .I have over 48 years experience I enjoy working for Barchester 'if you are positive and love your Job it's a lovely Job,even with all my experience I never stop learning ,what a wonderful company to work for,BEST

14 June 2022
It’s a pleasure to read such positive comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them here – and we hope you continue to find life with us enjoyable and rewarding.

Avoid

Just a number on a payroll to the company, hard work goes unnoticed and easily replaced in the eyes of the company.

14 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about your time with us at Barchester. We invite you to share your views in more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Seriously Understaffed and overworked at collingtree branch

Hours Varies depending on where you worked and if your face fits with management at nn4Most of the equipment in the kitchen is broken or very old Ratio for carers to residents is worryingStaff everywhere are burnt outHigh turnover of staff Majority of new staff only stay for 4/6 weeks then walk out due to workloads Residents on both floors are lovely and some of the staffVery busy care home some days you’re lucky to get a breakUniform provided in a few monthsTraining is ok, you mostly learn on the jobManagement have their favourites Great work colleagues

Pros

Free parking nice staff pick and choose your hours

Cons

Working alternative weekends, long day, no air conditioning part time manager

Good home

Nice care home, good decor. Sadly senior management let Barchester down with their bullying antics. Shame as it could be a really good company if it wasn’t for the toxic culture

14 June 2022
We never want anyone to feel negatively about their career with Barchester and take feedback of this type extremely seriously so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Physically and mentally draining, overworked and underpaid

I wouldn’t recommend working for this company. It doesn’t support their staff, allows family to abuse the staff, it’s profit driven and not about care. It’s ridiculously understaffed and so the current staff are overworked. Hires unqualified staff and rewards people not performance based so it over looks passionate hardworking staff.day to day it’s very fast paced and stressful. Management can be good and supportive depending on the individual. Some of the staff that work there are passionate, caring and hard working. But the company has a lot issues and needs to be sorted for a better working environment. The staff turnover is very high.

Pros

Some great dedicated staff

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, understaffed

14 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you felt this way during your time with us as we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel happy and supported. We invite you to share more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Very frustrating place to work, makes it hard to achieve the goals

The residents are amazing and make my day, The staff is very disappointing, too much gossip and very little work done. Where I work it's always 1 regular staff with loads of inexperienced agencies

Pros

Amazing residents

Cons

Poor management

14 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you are finding working at Barchester frustrating. We invite you to share your views in more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Rubbish so far

Started this year doing 12 hour shifts and seen a few safe Garding issues and neglect already . Meals are always late and not enough portions. Diets unclear, Always under staff and have agency in. Units are unorganised/ unfair Night staff aren't the bestMost care plans are oldList goes on

14 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about your time with us at Barchester, we pride ourselves on supporting both staff and residents. We invite you to share your experiences in more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Target based

Very much about figures, targets and image. Not about the people paying for it or the delivery of care. Work life and personal life balance very poor. Only interested in filling beds

Cons

Work / life balance poor

14 June 2022

Not a bad job but stressful

Stressful job, I was full time member of staff I worked three days on and three days off. Pay was hourly, wasn’t great however because we were so understaffed they paid us double and sometimes triple pay to do extra shifts.

14 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we're very sorry to hear you feel this way as this is not the experience we would want for any member of staff. We would like to learn more about what happened so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Not a nice place to work

The manager is rude, unhelpful, never there, and a lot of people have/are leaving. There is not enough staff for the amount of residents, everyone is stressed and over worked.

Pros

Deputy manager

Cons

Everything else! Mostly the general manager

Desappointing

Worked for 2 Barchester cate homes, with ups and downs especially with the management. Worthless to work for. A multinational company that can replace you with someone else, no chance of progression at the work place. Everyone was acting like bosses.

14 June 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement