Barchester Healthcare logo

2.7
Work-life balance

Highly Recommend.

Featured review

Barchester Healthcare selected this as a representative review
This is an outstanding organisation to work for and I really enjoy coming to work. There is no such thing as a typical day, I enjoy the variety provided within my job role and the organisational framework Barchester provides which helps me to support our residents and team. As a General Manager our training programme is first rate and insightful there is statutory and mandatory training which we are required to undertake but you can also progress into other areas and I have learned a lot since I have been here. Personally I find the workplace culture is very supportive and I would highly recommend as a place to work!

Pros

Pioneering and Innovative Organisation

Official response from Barchester Healthcare

15 March 2021
We are certainly passionate about our training and development opportunities here at Barchester! Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback.

Official response from Barchester Healthcare

15 March 2021

Interview great once there it’s a joke

Staff are clicky all from where they worked before stay in teams here Change things to suit themselves and not clients or team planned Management don’t listen promise things that don’t materialise Head of dept lied and staged events to make herself top dog got other managers involved and tore strips of staff without being able to defend or answer totally unprofessional act and totally behind closed doors Higher archy kept adding more jobs and taking hours off to do things Totally unprofessional back stabbing uncaring organisation wouldnt put any of my family in there to live or let my worst enemy work there

Lovely place to work

My local Barchester Homes was so lovely inside, really looked after property. Staff where really warm and welcoming. Although l didn’t work there very long l did enjoy it but had to leave due to a health condition. I would recommend working there. You do have to work hard but it is very rewarding.

Pros

Lovely work place and people

Cons

Extremely hard work

Buzy all the time well depending on the day

Buzy all the time depending on the day and staff that are on work hard sometime'ssometimeunderstaffed well most of the time long shifts especially when wearing masks feel u don't get respected just keep adding more stuff on to ur day I left but just realised I didn't want too but I would love to come back but I know that might not happen staff were really nice and lovely residents I would recommend working for barchester.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Long hours, wages

very unorganised with none or little training ,and no support from collegues

I found Barchester to be very un-unorganised ,no real structure ,no or very little training or support ,lots of agency who come and go ,very critical but then theres no direction to what you should be doing ,breaks are unpaid and not properly allocated so you rather miss it all together or have rushed breaks and left not really when to take them ,staff who have been there along time (very few of )have no interest in showing anybody new the ropes ,but a very quick to tell you where you go wrong ,very little management support .vast turn over of staff due to poor training and support ,very understaffed but thats due to the lack of initial training to help you get off the ground and theres to many untrained staff muddling along without proper management guidance ,shame really .plus points .not bad pay ,quite flexible to accomplish work life balance .

Pros

pay, free food & drink, work life balance, quick start, give anyone a job .

Cons

long shifts, unpaid breaks no allocation on breaks, no to little training, some unfriendly staff members, lack of management presence, all round diss- organised establishment .

Support

Not supportive to the nurse that work there and not supportive any staff, if unwell do not want to know just expect you to carry on. Poor management and poor support.

Cons

Long hours expect the earth from you

Hard work is always appreciated

Good company to work, opportunities to develop in your career. Good team, friendly and helpful staff supportive management. Good and nice environment. I will always recommend Barchester to anyone.

Not a fun place, even residents said its boring here!

Worst place to be the home at Fontwell!Residents complaining to me and other carers theres nothing to do its so boring! Sometimes residents would stay in their rooms and watch tv because there was nothing going on! I felt embarrassed and so sorry for them, the home maybe all decorated, it's all for show! One bathroom is disgusting, dirty windows cobwebs, filthy floor under bath, broken wall tiles etc etc.

Pros

Yes free rushed lunches!

Cons

Long days, 12 stressful hours.

lovely residents but awful amosphere with the staff

when I got accepted to work here, I was so excited and thought it was a lovely looking home but as soon as I started I realised how wrong I was! the company cuts so many corners, rate of pay isn't fair, night staff don't get paid unsociable hours, you are hounded to do over time due to not having enough staff. All the staff members are so b*tchy, don't feel supported by management.. they aren't flexible with you monthly shift pattern and you holiday request gets cancelled.Management is shocking, home cleanliness is shocking, no support within your job, Staffing numbers are appalling! Hi-low beds are shocking, most are broke and don't come high enough when doing personal care so you are in agony! This is the residents home and the amount of money they pay to live here compared to the value of care and time they get is disgusting DO NOT JOIN!! NEVER KNOWN SUCH A SHAM OF A BUSINESS

Pros

don't be silly, nothing good about it!

Cons

long hours, so much pressure, bitchiness, low pay, staffing numbers, Management dont listen to concerns.. list could go on

Stressful

Not a nice place to work, especially more so at night time, breaks my heart I wouldn't like to have my loved ones in their, poorly run! No empathy for the residents, am not saying all staff are like that, but it is a scary thought at how many might be working their what don't actually care and rush with all aspects of care, and are fowl mouthed about residents quite openly, so what they like behind the closed door I dread to think !! Please people if you are applying to this home do speak out if you do see or hear unpleasant things, be the one to change this world of nasty people and care for our elderly and vulnerable with respect and dignity and empathy!! If can't do that then don't apply to do any care work full stop!

Jobs at Barchester Healthcare

See more jobs

They treat you like your less than human

Poor management Poor communication Sustained foodSustained facilities Residents left in bed ALL DAYmanagement say they care about staff and residents but the don’t

Pros

What pros?

Cons

Too many to list

Disgusting company with terrible approach to care!

Pay is poor for what is expected of you on shift. Residents have poor quality of life because the company refuse to staff the homes effectively so they can 'budget' staff constantly doing their upmost to support residents needs with no management support. New managers in and out the home every couple of months because they don't fill beds quick enough! Constantly lying from managers and regional managers. Oh and closing the home for a year and shipping all the residents out to other random homes during a covid pandemic because the building need to look nicer to meet their standards and kindly making all the key workers redundant!!! This company do not care!!!!

Pros

Residents

Cons

Terrible company

No support awful employer

The job was sold very differently to what was expected.This was poorly managed with no support and ridiculous expectations.Dreadful management during the COVID 19 pandemic.

Pros

Pay was ok

Cons

Horrible management - unrealistic expectations

Lovely home

Lovely place to work just very sort staffed at times. The manager could do with being replaced as it seems she is so pushy yet does nothing herself to get the job done

Busy and fast paced

Busy environment with a lot of decisions to be made quickly Not enough staff per shift but that seems general across the care sector these days. Staff training pre starting face to face work well lead and good

Pros

Training

Cons

Not enough hours in the day!

Bullying culture.

On the whole I enjoyed my time because of some of the people I worked with when supporting the homes. You spend to much time attending phone conferences rather then trying to get the standards in their care homes on track: staff turn over extremely high as your treated so poorly. I saw managers reduced to tears as they were so physically exhausted with no reward. Not a good environment to work in.

Cons

Long hours, bullying culture from CEO down to regional directors.

Non starter

I left my job to commit a role here. A role that didn’t exist but they didn’t tell me tillI’d left other job. So I’m limbo I was offered a peri role. Zero communication in the lead up. Then emailed a week later asking “are you in .... this week?”....a 3 day induction and e-learning IS NOT real training, regardless of how it’s dressed up. I had 59 tasks to complete before starting... ludicrous.. yet expected .You can see the culture is do what we say and join in or your not in the gang. Also when I messaged my rejection of the role.I didn’t even receive an obligatory response . Shows what the company is really like..Glad I side stepped this one

Bad environment

Management is very poor. Carers have to do the job of 3 people by themselves. No support at all. Some colleagues practice bullying and no one gives a s*** about it. They can't keep staff over there as the environment is very hostile and pay rate awful. No prospects of career progression.

Pros

Flexibe hours

Cons

Poor management

Enjoyed every part of my time at barchester

I loved working for barchester, I had a excellent manager and I worked within a brilliant team . I enjoyed the time i had there, was sad to leave.

Rewarding

Having recently started working in a nursing home in Shrewsbury, I feel a sense of belonging. The day flies by and my role is very rewarding. I would recommend working here for anyone who has a caring nature.

Supportive Team and Excellence Management

I just started working for Barchester and I am very happy. The recruiter was lovely to talk to. My interview was formal but relaxed. I was shown around and worked half a day before I properly started. I feel this helped me to meet the team and the patient group. I love working with older people with mental health problems both functional and organic. The team I work with are very passionate, they have excellent communication skills and they are enjoy working with the patient group. The managers are also very kind and supportive. I feel very happy where I am currently and I am happy to stay. Best place to work and I hope you come to work with us to!

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7