Barchester Healthcare

Clear
2.6Pay & benefits

Found 176 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,037 reviews

Hard work

Rates of pay vary in different homes in the south east , which causes unrest within the work force particularly if a home 10 miles up the road gets paid 80p more per hour for doing the same jobBarchester have extremely high standards which is good, but you are not able to achieve these due to constantly being short staffed Staff are tired and stressed leading to unhappy residents Excellent support from my manager who is under so much pressure from those higher upUnfortunately not a happy place to work in

Pros

Good bonus scheme

Cons

Long hours short staff, carers get 30 minutes paid break, everyone else gets 30 minutes deducted

Tough work environment

Its good but some homes are too much work. Lack of staffs. Pays.on time. Some of the homes has huge shortage of staffs and that is really hard. They don't care about the staffs all they care is budget !

Horrible

Short staff most of the time.The staff use the equipment by themselves, coz there are not staff.We can't assist people properly at meals time, coz we been rush all the time. A lots of charging without support. Too much risk for the residents. People go in there to die.

High standards

I have worked at Barchester for nearly 8 years. Yes, standards and expectations are high and so they should be. I worked with a fantastic reliable, knowledgeable staff team who achieved two consecutive “outstanding “ CQC ratings. The support services were excellent ensuring help, if requested, was available. My only regret is that I didn’t join Barchester earlier in my career.

Pros

Fair salary with generous bonuses

Cons

Management to listen more to management

Draining, Under Staffed, Low Pay, No Work Life Balance.

I started my career as a carer with Barchester at the end of the 2nd wave of COVID-19 I’m already looking to leave after trying two of their care homes one nursing and one residential. Both homes were severely understaffed and wouldn’t use any agency staff so expect to be working floors of 40 residents to two carers. There’s no work life balance, they’re constantly trying to make everyone do overtime with one of my colleges working 10 12 hour shifts in a row. Residents are miss treated and there isn’t the right equipment to assist them with daily living. Overall, for minimum wage - I wouldn’t both nor put myself through it.

Pros

Christmas is double pay.

Cons

Long hours, always expected to do overtime. No benefits to the job. Minimum wage.

Great Home with fantastic Staff.

Our home is a lovely place to work. The team are fantastic and really help you with your daily work. The team use a whole home approach when it comes to care. Nurses are very knowledgable and friendly and always helpful. Lovely atmosphere with kind people.

Pros

Benefits App, Free Lunch, Bonuses, Share Scheme, Fantastic Training and personal development

Cons

Do not work at a barchester

Unless your in the click.plus you have no life,No support from anyone.to many agencies and workers get nothing, slackers get praised.Would deffo not work with barchester again

Pros

End of shift

Cons

Start of shift

Brilliant management team

Brilliant management team. A great team of care staff who actually care is rare to find but that's exactly what I walked in to. Like in any other care home at the moment, staff are thin on the ground but I saw this team pull together over and over again to cover short falls and offer outstanding care. You are always supported and progression is fast if you wish to go up the ladder. Couldn't recommend them highly enough. Great pay and benefits and always a new bonus around the corner.

Cons

Worst company to work for!

They are a company of bullies the higher ups use their positions to bully everyone from managers down this happens on a daily basis while they get grossly inflated bonuses. Staff are always short shift to a point where the numbers are dangerous to work with and worked like dogs no praise. The company offer monetry incentives to hide the fact they will not employ a safe amount of staff. Staff moral is so low and management do not care as long as they get their bonus. The turnover of staff should be unacceptable as it shows how bad the company are but its overlooked. Barchester brag about the small number of homes that have outstanding and good cqc ratings but forget to mention how many homes they have that require improvement or are bad and its alot as they run every home in the same way understaffed and if you say anything they threaten to performance manage you out of their company. All in all they are the worst company i have ever worked for i would not recommend under any circumstance.

6 September 2021
We never want anyone to feel negatively about their career with Barchester and take feedback of this type extremely seriously so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

It’s more than just Maintenance.

More than just a bit of gardening and painting and decorating.From minor works, statutory checks,Health and safety in a a care environment and organising contractors- lots of paperwork-external and internal inspections -they’ll keep you very busy. the more you can do - the more they’ll ask of you to save money.My current role - similar role - but I have much less responsibility for similar pay.I experienced some limited support from some mobile tech line managers - but very little until an old guard had gone. Budgets are very tight. The work is repetitive and the responsibility you are expected to take on isn’t reflected in the salary whatever they say. Lots of internal and external inspection and it can be quite high pressure when a home is doing badly. I was lucky to work for one supportive home manager. They’re not all like this according to the chat amongst other Maintenance men.A good knowledge of Gardening, H and S in Care/hospital beds/equipment/CQC standards is an advantage. Stressful environment- too few staff on the floors but they are good at what they do despite this lack - lovely residents - it’s sad when they go.

Pros

Mon x friday 8hrs. Pension, in service benefits, Paid lunch hour. Keeps you busy

Cons

Expectations/responsibility is not reflected in salary. Support is lacking

15 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments here.

lovely residents but awful amosphere with the staff

when I got accepted to work here, I was so excited and thought it was a lovely looking home but as soon as I started I realised how wrong I was! the company cuts so many corners, rate of pay isn't fair, night staff don't get paid unsociable hours, you are hounded to do over time due to not having enough staff. All the staff members are so b*tchy, don't feel supported by management.. they aren't flexible with you monthly shift pattern and you holiday request gets cancelled.Management is shocking, home cleanliness is shocking, no support within your job, Staffing numbers are appalling! Hi-low beds are shocking, most are broke and don't come high enough when doing personal care so you are in agony! This is the residents home and the amount of money they pay to live here compared to the value of care and time they get is disgusting DO NOT JOIN!! NEVER KNOWN SUCH A SHAM OF A BUSINESS

Pros

don't be silly, nothing good about it!

Cons

long hours, so much pressure, bitchiness, low pay, staffing numbers, Management dont listen to concerns.. list could go on

Lovely home

Lovely place to work just very sort staffed at times. The manager could do with being replaced as it seems she is so pushy yet does nothing herself to get the job done

15 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to learn more about what happened so please give us more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Very enjoyable and fun place to work

Colleagues are very supportive, even if they are not in the same department. Management is very approachable. Lots of benefits working here. Whether with the residents or the staff always a joke to be had. Hard work that is appreciated in a person centred care home. Cannot recommend Barchester Dudwell St Mary's enough

Pros

Good work colleagues

15 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback here. We hope you continue to find life with us enjoyable and rewarding!

No support

If your a robot your accepted don't have opinions or asberations benefits and praise goes to those whos face fits hours are long and your expected to go over and above but the more you do goes unseen

Pros

Lunch

Cons

Disgusting attitude

15 March 2021
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about your time with us as we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel happy and supported. We invite you to share more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you.

Nice place to work,long hours ,different pay for same job titles across the region,Makes us feel undervalued,overworked and unappreciated .Strongly disagree with CEO huge pay rise.we are forced to be covid vaccinated,told its optional but cannot work for Barchester if opt out.Poor pay for overtime in these unpredictable times.

Pros

smoking shelter

Cons

long shifts

It's a good place to work and fun most of the time

Barchester health care home is one of the best care home i have been to the staff's are kind and friendly lovely to work with and their residents are calm and friendly also and the management is very good 👍 👌

Pros

Free lunch

6 February 2021
It’s a pleasure to read such positive comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them here – and we hope you continue to find life with us enjoyable and rewarding!

Non caring manager

Care staff are mainly kind but they do not have enough time to meet their residents needs so care is rushed. Constant staff shortages and even when fully staffed it’s not enough Managers care more about the appearance of the home rather than the welfare of their staff or residents Home has to look like a show home. It’s not homely at all

Pros

Free lunch, good pay, free uniforms, paid breaks

Cons

Managers only care about making money and the appearance of the home

11 January 2021

Enjoy my role

Barchester as been a part of my life for eight years now I enjoy my role and other member of staff are cooperative. Residrnts are a pleasure to serve.

Pros

Free drinks and breaks

Cons

Long shifts

14 December 2020

The worst place I have ever worked

Where to start? I worked here for about a year and I have never experienced such poor, undignified care delivery. Being constantly understaffed means sometimes working a floor on your own and being forced to hoist people alone (many staff would do this). When I first started I was not even given a mentor as staff wanted nothing to do with new starts and would rather complain about them than help them. Nurses were completely clueless, rude and didn’t care if any concerns were raised about the residents. The nurses never once helped with personal care and sat in their office in between medication rounds. Quite frankly I have never experienced such poor nursing care and wouldn’t trust them with any of my relatives care. At meal times staff would argue and shout over the residents. Overall the work environment was extremely toxic and stressful, made worse by certain older members of staff who thought they knew everything and were not open to change even if it did benefit the resident.

Pros

Cons

Toxic work environment

14 December 2020
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about your time at Barchester, we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel happy and supported. We invite you to share your views in more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you

Support worker

Full of clicks and gossiping, if new staff came they ignored them. Often left by yourself with no support within dangerous situations and environment. Poor wage and long hours .Training was good.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hours, low wage, unsafe environment

16 November 2020
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way about life at Barchester, we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel happy and supported. We invite you to share your views in more detail by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you

There was no respect for middle management

The efforts and skills that were brought to the table were completely ignored, I was never heard or respected at this level, when issues were raised they were just swept under the table and when major health and safety points were raised and officially documented you were then made to feel guilty for raising them, no respect for the residents health.

Pros

indoor work

Cons

Poor pay, no communications, never listened too, constantley watched over even though you are classed as management.

16 November 2020
We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way, we pride ourselves on ensuring our staff feel supported at all times. We invite you to share further details by emailing us, in confidence, at onlinefeedback@barchester.com. Thank you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barchester Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7